We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

along the Bucerias beach

oregon
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Topic
along the Bucerias beach

I am looking for info, links to pictures etc. of the beach from RDC to La Cruz. We will most likely stay at Casa Manana, and have seen just a tiny bit of the beach in photos. I am curious about the whole length of the beach. Are the condos clustered in certain areas or spread out? How far to restaurants, town center. Is walking between Bucerias and La Cruz possible and safe (no rock scrambling) this time of year? How would you describe the La Cruz beach? Good swimming? Thanks, Jennifer

United States
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: along the Bucerias beach

While I like La Cruz very much for other reasons, with the ongoing construction of the marina (which dessimated the beach in La Cruz) it is not a beach destination IMO. It is also not walkable from the RD. About as far north as you can walk is to Punta Esmeralda. If you want to travel to La Cruz I would suggest that you catch a bus on the highway, ask the driver to let you off at the cab stand in La Cruz which is a nice central location. It's a very short trip.

Casa Manana is a lovely property (in Bucerias) - great location, attention to detail in the rooms, nice pool. I'm not sure what you mean by are the condos clustered....when you get north of the town square there are several condo buildings adjacent to one another. Just south of the square there is a new condo under construction (Punta Arena), there is a small 6 unit condo between this and Costa Dorado but there are fewer condos and more private homes on the beach in the southern part of the town. From CM you can walk anywhere in town either via the beach (about 6 miles long) or the street (Lazaro Cardenas). The town center is a about a 5 min walk from CM. Bucerias is a great town with of several really great restarants and a terrific beach.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: along the Bucerias beach

try a youtub search for a variety of bucerias video clips.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: along the Bucerias beach

oops - meant youtube dot com

oregon
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: along the Bucerias beach

Thanks very much for the info. The condo question stemmed from looking at VRBO and seeing many listings. I did not know the Marina was still in process, nor that the distance could not be walked, appreciate the info. We will drive or take a bus to visit, but we love to walk. I think 6 miles should provide lots of walking... Any picture links anyone can suggest?

Thanks!

oregon
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: along the Bucerias beach

Great idea Mersol!!

Yelm, Washington
Level Contributor
16 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: along the Bucerias beach

HI Jennifer!

I happen to have some pictures of the beach & Casa Manana. We stayed there 3 weeks ago and were able to get some great photos of the estate and the beach. I can send you an invite to my gallery online or you can get a glimpse of them on this site under the Casa Manana search where I posted.

Good luck finding what you're looking for!

Laurie

Yelm, Washington
Level Contributor
16 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: along the Bucerias beach

Hi again Jennifer!

Glad to see you found my post.

You know, we stayed in Casa #7 which is upstairs from #5, and I did peek into it while they were cleaning it. It's a nice big room, perfect for 2 people, but no view of anything to speak of. It's such a lovely property with the pool area so easy to lounge around all day, then when you tire of that you can head to the palapas and catch some ocean breezes, both are about 20 steps or less from your door at casa #5. I know while we were there that the couple in casa #4 had no A/C and it was unbearable for them, beware of that and ask Vivienne if your potential unit has running A/C. Don't know if you've traveled to that area b4, but it is HOT & humid, and it doesn't cool down much at all in the evening.

The beach in front of the CM is great, few people, but there are ocassional vendors, and they will leave you alone with a simple no gracias. Alex is full time tho..he sells silver and shows up every morning (except Sunday), he has some beautiful stuff, and a great personality!

I chatted with him everyday and didn't buy anything until the last day after I had bargained with the guys in town and found out what the bottom dollar/peso was.

I was interested in buying some things on the beach specifically from the vendors, chicharones and mango on a stick! (You can take the girl outta the island...but not the island outta the girl!)

I really loved that Bucerias was the same latitude as Hawaii. All the bouganvillia & plumerias on the property took me back, I took time to smell the flowers every day! The fruit, lychee, papaya, guavas, I had to buy on the Hwy (200) roadside, and it was worth it! BTW: next to the pool is a lime tree...da best!

Prices are reasonable if you go to the right places. I found that the Palacio Chino (can't miss a white & red pagoda in the middle of town) had a decent variety to choose from and conveniently located.

As far as your decision between La Cruz & Puntilla, that's a personal preference. La Cruz is so close to Bucerias that I think you'll find you spend more time in Bucerias getting your grocery,souveniers, etc.. the beach areas are somewhat similar, but I'll give you an inside tip from the locals. If you are renting a car, the best beach is Destiladeras, with the exception of Sunday...it's a great beach to see. The locals all pack the trucks with coolers,umbrellas and kids and head there on Sunday after church so it's PACKED! We waited until Monday to go and spent Sunday in Punta de Mita. I would recommend you check that area out if you're into seeing some wildlife/snorkeling. Don't let the little dirt road into the marina scare you, and don't take the first offer to rent a panga to the Marietas. There you will see the endagered Blue Footed Booby Birds, some flying mantas, and a great area that you snorkle into they call the Cuerva de amor...(The cave of love) two go in & three come out!

There are so many little bits to this area that make it enjoyable, it's hard to get them all in. If you're interested in having a nice/fancy/romantic dinner then go to Marks, it's about 4 blocks away from CM. Although it's not cheap, service is excellent, food is terrific, and the mariachis sing beautifully!

IMO it's worth it to rent a car b/c there are little spots here & there that you'll want to explore without having to wait on the hot stuffy bus. Gecko was perfect for us, we rented a new Jetta. Dennis will help you with anything, directions, tour booking, whatever... also, you'll pass Famar in town, don't be afraid! My husband wasn't too thrilled with the aesthetics, but the margaritas were excellent as was the food, and worth the $5 a person! This place is a family operation and they are all there waiting to serve you...even the little children :) We enjoyed this place immensely and were sorry that we didn't eat there more often. I could go on forever, probably more info than you'd like.....

On another note. It's great to meet up with another Hilogirl! My family moved there when I was 8 months old (in 1967) and lived on Ainako street. My father started up Island Orchids and a shade cloth business. I went to school at St. Josephs. After my parents divorced in 1980 we left the island and my mother took us to live in Garden Grove, CA which I hated! I was too local by then with my pidgin & dark skin, kids make terrible fun of me...I hated it and in under a year we moved to Oregon. It took a while but I loved Oregon and lived there while attending Southern Oregon State (b4 it became a university). I still think that Oregon has the most gorgeous beaches! Now I live in Washington, but I travel quite often and keep my Hawaiian roots close. My extended family is still in Mt. View running the business, I think I'll be taking my kids to Kapoho later this year but find it hard to see the island change like it has. Sounds like we have a lot in common!

I sure hope I've been able to help you. My family had a great time in Bucerias, even my 27 y/o step daughter who can be hard to please was completely thrilled with the CM. Next time we'll stay further up the coast in Sayulita, but that's only b/c I really don't like tourist....(it must've started when I was a little girl in Hawaii!)

Best of luck to you, and please let me know if there's anything that I forgot!

If you want my pics then I need to get your email address and send you and invitation to my kodak online gallery, just let me know :)

adios & Mahalo, Laurie

oregon
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: along the Bucerias beach

Mahalo & gracias!! Your reply was so appreciated! You provided so much more than I asked, but I would welcome all input you have. I will send you my email so I can see your pictures. Mark's would be my pick for my husbands birthday on 9/15, but from what I gather that is when Independence day is celebrated, and it could be more of a party than suits his style. Having a cook prepare our meal at Casa Manana may be the ticket... Thank you again! Jennifer

United States
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: along the Bucerias beach

I wouldn't worry about Mark's being too much of a party because of Independence Day. It's really not a restaurant that is very heavily frequented by nationals. Many of the expats in town and visitors eat there fairly regularly. Another option is Mezzagiorno which is north of the square overlooking the beach - absolutely beautiful romantic setting (ask for a table on the balconey) and the food is fabulous. This year they were voted best out of town restaurant beating out Mark's which had won that distinction for several years in a row. It's fun to have a personal cook (which we've done) but for a birthday I think it might be more fun to go out "on the town".

oregon
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: along the Bucerias beach

Thanks luvsthebeach! We will check it out. Since we leave the next day we won't want to throw out any leftovers, so yea, probably not the night for a cook. Will do another night though.