We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Workability of North American Cell Phones in the area

Markham, Canada
Level Contributor
645 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Workability of North American Cell Phones in the area

Quick question: Do my cell phones work in the area? I have a CDMA cell phone (from Telus Mobility) and a GSM cell phone (from FIDO).

Please let me know. Thank you.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,699 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Workability of North American Cell Phones in the area

We're from Oakville (Ontario) and have, in the past, been able to use both Bell Mobility and Rogers AT&T down here. In both cases we had to get authorization by the customer service people at those two companies before we travelled. Telus and Fido should be able to give you info. on their roaming rules and capabilities.

If neither of them allow roaming down here, you can probably still get one or other of them, in effect, temporarily reprogrammed so that you can use the local cellular service, with pay-as-you go cards but you'd have to go into Puerto Vallarta for that (main Telcel office) on the way into town and then you'd have to go back to get your phone ready to use back in Canada.

Markham, Canada
Level Contributor
645 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Workability of North American Cell Phones in the area

Thank you for your reply. Great help. Thanks again! ;o)

Salt Lake City
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Workability of North American Cell Phones in the area

I contacted my Sprint dealer. US Sprint phones definitely work in Puerto Vallarta. And, according to the hotel we'll be staying in, the concierge says that if the phone works in PV it will work in NV.