We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

#1 thing to Take

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,203 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
#1 thing to Take

For sure is the THERMO Mug ?

ladysmith, bc...
Destination Expert
for Akumal
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: #1 thing to Take

yes for sure the mug.......i always take a back scratcher too get one at the dollar store. it has come in handy more than once for bug bites that you can't quite reach.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,626 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: #1 thing to Take

Gallon ziploc bags

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,548 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: #1 thing to Take

earplugs ... a big must have for me -- they 'help' guarantee sleep when I want it, and not just when someone else might let me have it!! :-)

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,295 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: #1 thing to Take

Hello! Bathsuit and flipflops. Anything esle I forget is no problem but must have my swimsuit! I carry it on the airplane so I can hit the beach as soon as I arrive even if my luggage doesn't!

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,203 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: #1 thing to Take

O.K. bug spray is important. lol

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
174 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: #1 thing to Take

For us extremely fair skinned people - at least 2, maybe 3 giant bottles of sunscreen!

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,548 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: #1 thing to Take

Personally, I feel the absolute #1 thing to take, and ensure it's properly-protected well while you are away, is a compiled list of all your "Personal ID Information" -- what you are carrying with you (ID cards, credit cards, bank cards, traveller's cheques, passport, etc.), everything that identifies you, and would have to be replaced if lost or stolen, and all the names and contact numbers of emergency & other contacts back home.

Having all of this info in one list, safely kept while you are away, will help to more easily correct any problem that could/might arise while you are away. Hopefully, it's something that will never have to be consulted, but having it, will sure help if such should arise.

It's something we never leave home without, and it has been a valuable 'resource' on more than one occasion while we've been away on travel.

Good wishes!!

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
490 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: #1 thing to Take

air freshener or candles in case of a musty hotel room. I compile a list of things and save it on my computer. Add to it every time we travel. We also have a small coffee maker that makes 2 cups of coffee for those rooms that do not have in-room coffee. We leave most of this packed in one bag all the time. Debbies Dominican travel website has a good list too.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: #1 thing to Take

Not what you take but what you leave at home. Leave a copy of your passport with your contact at home. In case you lose the original while traveling - having someone at home that can fax you the necessary info really expedites your re-entry into your home country.

Pt. Coq., BC Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: #1 thing to Take

I second johnny2bc regarding a list of all your travel ID, credit cards, etc. I also pack a picture of everyone that I am travelling with in case of a worst case scenario in that I have a picture to give to the police or appropriate authority.