We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I pack Life Jackets for Little Kids??

Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Should I pack Life Jackets for Little Kids??

Hi Everyone-

I know allot of you are traveling without kids, but maybe some one out there might be able to give me some guidance.

I'm debating about using valuable space in our suitcases to pack our 4 & 5 year olds life jackets. We are staying at the Marival (leaving next week!!) and wonder if they have jackets for small kids?? I would really like not to bring them, but also think the kids will love going on the boogie boards. Since they aren't strong swimmers, and waves can be a little daunting, I'd like to know they are safe. (Arm floaties aren't going to cut it in the ocean.)

Anyone have any thoughts??

Thanks

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I pack Life Jackets for Little Kids??

The life jackets are for kayak/sailboat use only, so you would be advised to bring your own. You won't be sorry! Pack less clothes, they have coin operated machines next to the gym area, downstairs from the buffet. You get a token at the lobby and soap (heavily purfumed, you can bring your own), it was very reasonable and steps from the 'quiet adult pool' and bar and snack bar. So, this is what I would do if I had kids...."honey, I'll go do the laundry, I know it is a sacrifice but I don't mind. You can have the kids". Then get the laundry on, settle in at the adult pool with a good book, grab a drink, have a snooze.............ahhhhhhhh, the best laundry experience ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

I absolutely loved the Marival. I would return, but I couldn't afford it this year....but I will be back..

The bikes are great, if your sons bike, they have kiddie ones (don't know about the helmet issue though!!!!!!! No one wears them????

And the mini-golf,.....on and on it goes!!!!!!!

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I pack Life Jackets for Little Kids??

We are leaving in a week and yes, we are bringing down a life jacket for our 4 year old. Its easier that way, we know it fits her and that it works properly.

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I pack Life Jackets for Little Kids??

if your bring your own- you know it is clean!!

Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I pack Life Jackets for Little Kids??

Great thoughts everyone. I think I will bring ours. If it puts my mind at ease while they are in the ocean, it's worth it.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I pack Life Jackets for Little Kids??

We used to bring ours all the time when our kids were small, worth it ,not to worry about them. Also you can use them to pack around booze to bring home, great cushioning material.

6. Re: Should I pack Life Jackets for Little Kids??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2007, 05:41
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I pack Life Jackets for Little Kids??

If, by chance, you are bringing golf clubs you could stuff them in your golf bag. We've found that the golf bag is great for extra shoes, jackets etc... I just put the articles in plastic bags to keep them relatively clean and odorless.

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I pack Life Jackets for Little Kids??

I'm bringing along a length of rope and a cement block for my wife's swim in the ocean.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,468 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I pack Life Jackets for Little Kids??

>>>>I'm bringing along a length of rope and a cement block for my wife's swim in the ocean<<<<<

That would have come in handy for my husband and I with our 15 year old son...After leaving the luxury of Marival we stayed in Romantic zone for 4 wonderful days at Play Los Arcos, He wanted to go back to Marival and made no secert of his disdain for PLA or the area.

If there had been a child slave market near by I might just have sold him ...;) JOKING ..kinda

I would be worried about the life jackets if a big wave caught them and they hit the sand?? It is so hard to get your bearings when this happens I couldn't imagine having to deal with a life ejacket too??

When we were there a man broke his neck when he got slammed into the sand by a huge wave.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I pack Life Jackets for Little Kids??

Yikes, what a story!

I didn't see any injuries, just a few hilarious situations with ladies falling out of their tops!

I'm a lousy swimmer, afraid of the water, and still could boogie board by staying a bit closer to shore. the big waves hit farther out. Smaller ones are closer in, those were great! I'd get a ride all the way to shore, then have to drag my sorry middle-aged butt off the ground!