We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concerned about staying at the Riu Jalisco

White Rocktreasure
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Concerned about staying at the Riu Jalisco

We are staying at the Riu Jalisco Dec. 27 - Jan 6. We are really worried about all the problems they seem to be having. Can you maybe leave your passports etc. at the desk instead of in a safe in your room - (I read that someone had their safe drilled and emptied). It seems like an extremely noisy hotel. I will take ear plugs. Some areas of the hotel must be quieter . Does the Riu have coffee pots in the room and is there a problem getting room service?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concerned about staying at the Riu Jalisco

Nope, no coffee pots in the rooms - there's liquor though!!!

We never tried room service - it's just not that kinda place. Plus, why bother eating in your room when you can mosey on down to the beach restaurant and eat overlooking the ocean?

As for the thefts, we never had any problems but I left things like passports in a locked suitcase in the closet. I wedged the closet door so it was jammed and thus quite a pia to get to said locked suitcase.

One thing I'd point out, although the Riu Jalisco is touted as a five-star, it's really more like a North American three-star. It's a lovely place and we had a great time but if you go there expecting a gourmet food, palatial rooms and five staff members per guest, you're going to be disappointed.

denver,co
Level Contributor
882 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concerned about staying at the Riu Jalisco

No room service or coffee. Pay a little more and go to the Vallarta it is better.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concerned about staying at the Riu Jalisco

The Jalisco has just had a new Director (Manager) appointed in the last couple of weeks. Francisco Vazquez was formerly the Food and Beverages Manager at the Riu Palace Mexico for a number of years (we've known him since Dec '03) and moved to the Jalisco earlier this year in I believe the same capacity. While we were at the RPM the past two weeks the Manager of that resort advised us that Francisco had just been made Manager. He is extremely customer concious, service oriented and does not tolerate mediocrity. IMHO the Jalisco now has a strong 1, 2 Management Team of Francisco and Stephanie Weffer and hopefully the # of poor reviews (you'll never please everybody) will see a significant reduction. If we were to go to a P.V. Riu right now I wouldn't hesitate in going to the Jalisco because of those two people because I know if I had a problem they would fix it immediately.

ps, regardless of * ratings, remember that they are determined by the resort chain and have no bearing whatsoever on * ratings of hotels in the USA or Europe.

Riu ClubHotels (Jalisco is one) do not have room service, only the Palaces.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concerned about staying at the Riu Jalisco

ps while difficult to see, that's Francisco in my avatar.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concerned about staying at the Riu Jalisco

I would also have to add that these reviews should be viewed with a grain of salt. There's been discussion on other forums on TA about "fake" reviews that are used to influence (for the good or bad) a resorts reputation. When I looked the recent Jalisco reviews I noticed that almost all of the recent reviewers haven't ever contributed anything else to Trip Advisor.

I'm not trying to discredit these reviews - just caution. I understand that TA may simply be an outlet for frustrated customers who seem to be getting no consideration from RIU - a way to be heard.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concerned about staying at the Riu Jalisco

I also noticed that a particular poster was upset that they didn't get near what their alleged stolen Ipod was worth. I believe that in these cases, if there is a settlement, depreciation is figured in. We had a couple who had their luggage lost, filed a claim and their suitcases were finally located at the Jamaica airport 3 months later. In the meantime, they received a settlement from the airline but everything was at a depreciated price. Tis life I guess.

I also agree that these posters seem to only consider their case and do not give the hotel a chance. Also seems if you have 700 rooms - there will be some guests that no matter what the hotel staff does it just won't be good enough.

Pt. Coq., BC Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Concerned about staying at the Riu Jalisco

Hi Willowbrook,

We just returned from 2 weeks at the Riu Jalisco - Nov. 25- Dec. 9/07 and had a wonderful time. We never heard of any thefts and this is the 4th time that we have stayed there. We stayed at the Riu Vallarta last year in a master suite which was gorgeous but we still preferred the Jalisco, friendlier and the grounds are beautiful. The Vallarta seemed very cold with all of the concrete.

Our room was musty but I always bring along a glade plug-in airfreshener and that usually takes care of the problem. At first the airconditioner did not get very cold, we went to the front desk and they had a maintenance man there within 20 minutes, all it needed was for the filter that is in the bathroom ceiling to be rinsed out and it worked great after that. Also had a problem with our door not latching properly again maintenance had that fixed within 20 minutes.

There appeared to be a lot of outside maintenance going on while we were there, retiling the roofs, lots of gardening and transplanting.

It definitely was not filled to capacity and at least 5 nights out of the 14 nights the beach restaurant was closed.

My pet peeve is with Paris the animation team leader who loves to hear himself speak and as loud as possible with the microphone, I found him to be extremely rude and obnoxious and most of the shows were extremely boring. My personal opinion.

You should have a great stay at the Riu Jalisco. It was cooler and damper in the evenings than usual so you may want to take a sweater along. Have a great vacation and I wish I was back there now.

There are no coffee pots in the rooms nor is there any room service.

For breakfast in the main buffet try sitting in the area that Barbara serves also she is in the Italian restuarant for lunch. She is fantastic and a super waitress, tell her Lin and Bob say hi, she helped us celebrate my husbands Birthday with a cake at breakfast. She is trying really hard to improve and learn English, German and French.

Toronto
Level Contributor
154 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Concerned about staying at the Riu Jalisco

Just got back from the Riu Jalisco (Dec 7 -14) and had a wonderful week. We heard of no incidents of theft while we were there.

Yes the adult pool was a bit cloudy when we got there . When you saw the crowd of people who looked like permanent fixtures at the swim up bar all day I am sure you can understand why. They shut the pool down Monday night, scrubbed it and repaired any loose tiles etc around the clock and had it up and running again on Thursday morning. I know there were a few people upset about this but I definitely give credit to the resort at how fast and efficiently they took care of the maintenance and repairs. The hotel set up a temporary bar at the family pool during the maintenance.

Yes the beds are VERY hard but a quick call to the front desk and they immediately brought us some foam mattress toppers. They would have given us 4 layers if we wanted. We were happy with 2 layers.

I think 5 stars is pushing it just a little too far for this resort but in my opinion it is at least a solid "Caribbean" 4 star . We found the staff and service to be excellent but certain things could be improved upon to give the resort that extra bang for its buck and perhaps even bring it up to a 5 star level. My understanding is that most travel sources are selling this as a 3.5 star resort out of the USA so I dont know what all the bitching is about. Sunquest is still promoting this as a 5 star out of Canada and should perhaps reconsider this. (We felt we got good value for our money but could understand how some people would be disappointed)

I think that some people need to realize they are in Mexico whose national language is Spanish. I do not speak much Spanish but a SMILE,simple "hola", "por favor" and "Gracias" can go along way if you need some assistance. I found most staff spoke pretty decent English and if they didn't they tried their best or directed you to someone else who could.

Go with a great attitude and I am sure you will have a good time.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Concerned about staying at the Riu Jalisco

Our trip 12-8 thru 12-15 was great, no complaints worth mentioning.

No reason to pay more or move if you are lucky enough to have the same experience we had.

Essex
Level Contributor
186 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Concerned about staying at the Riu Jalisco

We stayed Dec 9 to 16/07. I was worried about the thefts and placed all ipods, wallets and cameras in the safe. Never had a problem. We emailed the resort and requested an ocean view and this was honoured. I did mention that we were aware of the theft problem and recent negative reviews so I think that they wanted to make us happy so we would post a positive review. It worked.

Enjoy try the fishing caught 17 fish or the zipline tour if your daring.

Martina