We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
denver
2 posts
Save Topic
NUEVO TO DOWNTOW....its better to rent a car??

I'm going to stay in Nuevo. I was checking fun stuff...but its all in PV. it takes 45mins by bus or 35mins by taxi to PV, Shoud i get a rental car for transportation?? ....bob

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NUEVO TO DOWNTOW....its better to rent a car??

Depends, how many times do you think you will go downtown, and what are you going to do there? It is not much faster driving than taking a taxi or even the bus and then you don't have to worry about parking. If you want to go out a have a few drinks then of course taxi is best. If you can split a taxi with a couple of other people, then it is probably still cheaper than a rental car.

Burton, United...
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NUEVO TO DOWNTOW....its better to rent a car??

...Plus there jails are not the best to stay in if cault drink driveing....Chris

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,155 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NUEVO TO DOWNTOW....its better to rent a car??

My understanding is that parking in PV can be quite a pain (if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will correct me!) and, as already noted, you do NOT want to be drinking and driving. From the little I've seen of PV drivers, they're not exactly laid-back. I live in Calgary, arguably home to some of the most aggressive drivers anywhere and I think I'd still find driving in PV a bit intimidating!

Is it too late at this point to change your reservations. I'm thinking that you'd be better off just staying in PV and ditching your NV accommodations.

If that's not possible, then you might want to consider Bucerias for shopping and restaurants - it's closer to NV and more like an $8 cab ride. For clubs though, I think PV is the place to go.

Depending upon your NV resort, there may be more to do on-site that you think too.

New Castle...
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: NUEVO TO DOWNTOW....its better to rent a car??

We took a cab downtown several times during our stay in NV. It's about $20 one way. We didn't have to worry about parking or finding our way around. Also, several sites recommend not driving in PV if you're inexperienced as to the Mexican traffic rules -- you could easily be involved in an accident.

We also talked to many of the cab drivers as they drove us -- it was a good way to learn more about the Mexican culture.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NUEVO TO DOWNTOW....its better to rent a car??

I saw NO parking places availabe in PV. Plus, just getting back on the road in PV to Nuevo is an experience in itself. I thought we might get swallowed up riding in a taxi. :) Plus all the road signs are in Spanish and ignorance is no excuse with the Mexican police. Just for fun, here is a list of road signs translated into English.

Ayúdanos a evitar escindíos forestales – help us to stop fires

Conceda cambio de luces – dim your lights

Conserve limpia la carretera – keep the roads clean

Curva peligrosa – dangerous curve

Disminuye su velocidad pueblo próximo – slow down entering a town

En BCS es obligatorio el uso cinturón de seguridad – in BCS you must wear your seat belt

Entrada y salida de vehículos – vehicles entering and leaving

Este camino no es de alta velocidad – this road is not for speeding

Gracias por utilizar el cinturón de seguridad – thank you for using your seat belt

Maneje con precaución – drive carefully

Mas vale tarde que nunca – better to arrive late than never

Modere su velocidad – moderate your speed

No maltrate las señales – don’t deface the signs

No quemes los pastos – don’t burn the pastures

No rebase con raya continua – don’t pass when there is a straight line

Obedezca las señales – obey the signs

Por su seguridad maneje con precaución – for your security drive carefully

Por sus seguridad no maltrate el señalamente – for your security don’t deface the signs

Precaución cruce de peatones – caution people crossing zone

Precaución disminuye su velocidad – caution slow down

Precaución tramo en reparación – caution road work

Precaución zona de neblina – caution fog zone

Principia zona urbana – entering an urban zone

Prohibido tirar basura – dumping of trash is prohibited

Puente ….. – the name of the bridge (all bridges have names)

Puesto de control military – military check point

Reguladora de velocidad – SPEED BUMP

Respete los limites de velocidad – respect the speed limits

Respete los señalamientos – respect the signs

Si disminuye su velocidad llagará con toda seguridad – if you show down you will arrive safely

Si toma no maneje – if you drink don’t drive

Tope – SPEED BUMP

Transporte de carga – Truck route

Zona de Ganado – Free range animals – WATCH OUT for goats, cows, pigs, donkeys, etc

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,553 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NUEVO TO DOWNTOW....its better to rent a car??

dmfalle: Wow. Impressive sign list. Good for you.

Just for completeness, I wanted to draw peoples' attentions to the new municipal parking garages located 1) at the start of the Malecon (Parque Hidalgo), 2) at the end of the old Malecon just before the road curves around to go left and then over the Rio Cuale (called Parking Juarez) and 3)under the old Parque Cardenas. (near Daquiri Dic*ks restaurant). Parking in those garages are between $12 and $14 pesos an hour app. We usually park there now because it's easier than circling.

As for the question, I don't think renting a car would help you very much in terms of ease of getting back and forth from Nuevo Vallarta. I'd just take a bus there and a taxi back if it's late. The truth is traffic can be bad so it's slow no matter how you cut it.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NUEVO TO DOWNTOW....its better to rent a car??

Thanks Carey.... but I can't take credit for the road sign list. Found it on an Ixtapa website.

denver
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: NUEVO TO DOWNTOW....its better to rent a car??

Thank you for answering everyone...

My wife and me was already booked a hotel in NV 3 weeks ago, and we will leave on next Tue. I just wonderig, should rent a car or not.but after i read all coments, we decided we will not rent a car. we need to stay away from a trouble.

Thank you again, all.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NUEVO TO DOWNTOW....its better to rent a car??

$17.00 by taxi from the Marival Grand. The bus was 120 pecos ($1.15) then you get off across from the Wal-Mart and take another bus for .50. Check out the sand castles then get a beer at the "Cheeky Monkey".....they are only $1.00!!!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
605 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NUEVO TO DOWNTOW....its better to rent a car??

I would never rent a car in any part of mexico , Never! Bump