We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport or Birth Certificate??

Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
9 posts
Save Topic
Passport or Birth Certificate??

We are going to stay at the Riu Jalisco from August 5-11 We do not have passports and are coming from Las Vegas Nevada. Our travel agent told us that our birth certificate and state issued ID was fine. Just getting a little nervous about not having a passport, has anyone visited there without a pasport? Does anyone know of any problems we may have??

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,217 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport or Birth Certificate??

Birth Cert's are still okay-must be original-not a copy. If ladies have married/divorced, those papers are also needed to support the name! Passports will be required soon, so get yours for next time. It makes life a lot easier-fewer papers to have to carry.

seattle
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport or Birth Certificate??

I recently went to mexico without a passport. Your birth certificate is fine, it has to have a raised seal.

9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport or Birth Certificate??

Thank you we will be getting passports prior to our next trip!

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
885 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport or Birth Certificate??

Birth certificate must be a "certified copy" not the one the doctor gives you with the feet print on it when you or child was born. My girlfriend tried to use that one when we went in 05/29/05, and because it was not a certified copy, they would not accept it until she had it notarized, which the airline personal did for her and charged her $20.00!!! Go down to the courthouse in the county you were born in and get a "certified copy". In Illinois, it is about $10.00 per copy.

See the timeline: travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2224.html

Remember, by the end of next year, 12/31/06 everyone entering Mexico or Canada will be required to carry passports only. No more birthcertificates, driver's licenses, etc. It might be a good idea to get the passports soon because I have a feeling the Government will increase the fees on Passports because they know everyone will need them.

Information regarding getting a passport:

travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Milwaukee, WI
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport or Birth Certificate??

Your travel agent is correct. But I do want to add if you are married the woman must provided a marriage license as well as your birth certificate and state ID. Also the laws are being changed by the Federal Government as of January 1st, 2006 you must have a passport to travel out of the US.

Hope this helps

Tracie

Cottage Grove...
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport or Birth Certificate??

You need a marriage license if she changed her name--if she kept her own--then not.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
748 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport or Birth Certificate??

Yea...so I thought I'd make traveling easier when we go to Puerto Vallarta next month, & went to the Post Office last week to apply for my passport!!

Then very next day....there was an article in our local paper telling that passports are in a big delay because they are first sent to Philly, then New Orleans!!! Well, knowing that New Orleans is not gonna happen, they are re-routing them to other locations, which still means a holdup!

Oh yea....I sent my birth certificate along with my passport application!!

Plan B!!! Now I need to go over to the county building and get another Birth Certificate!!

Question....Will I need my marrige certificate notorized or anything??

Orlando,Fl
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport or Birth Certificate??

wow i got a dilema,.i cant find my birth certificate,i live in florida but i was born in puerto rico,i ordered my cert online rush service but im not sure it will make it on time,is there ANYTING else that i could yuse and have notarized before going???? i CANT miss this trip because of this :(

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
885 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport or Birth Certificate??

I found this information at www.funjet.com

I am assuming the same rings true throughout the industry:

When you travel, you are required to provide identification to verify your identity as well as that of any of your traveling companions. For domestic travel (inside the U.S.), you need to carry a non-expired government-issued photo ID that matches the name on the reservation.

For international travel, for U.S. citizens, acceptable forms of proof of citizenship include:

Valid passport (required for Europe, Great Britain, Central America, and Belize)

Certified state-issued (not hospital-issued) birth certificate and a government-issued photo ID

Certified naturalization certificate and a government-issued photo ID.

Married or divorced women, who travel under any name other than that printed on their documentation, must supply a marriage license and/or divorce decree (a copy is acceptable). In addition, special requirements apply to children traveling with only one parent or without parents.

For some international travel, countries may not permit entry without a valid return ticket and/or visa or other documentation. For example, travel to Central America or Belize may also require a visa. Please contact the local embassy or consulate for travel requirements and more information.

Important! As part of increased security measures, the U.S. government is implementing new passport requirements over the next few years. As of December 31, 2005, a passport or other accepted documentation is required for all air and sea travel to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.

As of December 31, 2006, a passport or other accepted documentation is required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.

As of December 31, 2007, a passport or other accepted documentation is required for all air, sea, and land border crossings.

Good luck!

D&E
Hamilton
Level Contributor
360 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport or Birth Certificate??

Hi

we are from Canada and just had our Birth Cert. and another government photo id. We got through the Mexican customs faster than those with passports.