We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Vallarta - rooms? upgrades? anything we should know?

Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Vallarta - rooms? upgrades? anything we should know?

We are staying at the Riu Vallarta May 17 - 21st. We only know about the hotel from what we read on the Riu website and this website.

From what we have read, we are expecting a nice hotel, but nothing fancy with acceptable food (I have learned, "aim low and you will never be disappointed").

To people that have been there, can you upgrade rooms once you get there? Do they cost 4 arms and 3 legs to upgrade? Can you bargain? Is it worth it? Do the standard rooms have bathtubs? Bathrobes? Anything?

How hard is it to get reservations to the a la carte restaurants? Do you really have to go, in person, to sign up at 7:00 am??

We got our room via hotwire and didn't know which hotel we would be staying at until after we purchased it. We paid for a 4 star and feel we kinda got taken a little because from what I read, this really isn't a 4 star. Agree, disagree? And considering a 3.5 star was $30+ less per day...

lastly - we are celebrating our 1 year anniversary. Does anyone know if the Riu celebrates anniversaries??

thank you!!!

Florida
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Vallarta - rooms? upgrades? anything we should know?

I am going to Riu Vallarta in June. It will be my first time there, but my 4th RIU.

First, you probably got a heck of a deal so keep that in mind during your trip. Riu's are gorgeous and fun. I've always thought the food was good, sometimes great, but never bad. It just depends on how picky you are. And you can't beat the drinks. Ask for a Dirty Monkey and French Kiss.

You shouldn't have a problem getting reservations at the ala cartes. When we were in Cancun we ate at one every night. But, when we went to Jamaica we just did buffets. I think we'll do one ala carte. But, we like the freedom of eating whenever we want and having a wide variety to chose from. Ask what theme each night has in the buffet. That might help you decide which nights to go ala carte.

As far as rooms... I've always been upgraded without a cost. They will, if they have available rooms...so ask. But, I'm sure it wouldn't be a whole lot to get a junior suite. There are no bathrobes. The only difference in the junior suite is location and it's bigger...with a living room area.

We always travel for our anniversary and they usually send up some kind of fruit basket (rum in Jamaica).

Again... I can't speak specifically on this hotel... but, we love RIU's. We honeymooned at neighboring Jalisco and have been hooked ever since. The price is always right and they are lovely. Don't nit pick and enjoy. I agree keep expectations low and it can only go up.

gug
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Vallarta - rooms? upgrades? anything we should know?

My husband and I plus our daughter and son-in-law will be staying at RIU Vallarta May 15-22. Last year we stayed in the RIU Las Americas in Cancun for our anniversary and they sent up a basket of fruit and a bottle of tequila. We were told by our travel agent to take a copy of our marriage certificate to show them when we checked in and we did that. I really think you will like the RIU and won't be disappointed. I know I always read trip advisor and some of the things people complain about are just not true. I think vacation is what you make it and if you are looking for things to find wrong then you will probably find something but who cares? It's vacation and warm weather. Have a great vacation and hope to see you there. By the way my husband and I will also be celebrating our anniversary but it is our 41st. You have a long way to catch up. You will recognize us by my husband who is a huge Steeler fan and always has something Steelers on or with him.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Vallarta - rooms? upgrades? anything we should know?

thank you for the comments! We are looking forward to the trip. It is always nice to know what to expect. We will ask for an upgrade and we'll be sure to bring out marriage certificate.

We'll be looking for the steelers fan :-)

Toronto
Level Contributor
335 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Vallarta - rooms? upgrades? anything we should know?

Hi;

Wow you got an incredible deal!!! The RIu Vallarta is definately a 5 star hotel. Beautiful property, gorgeous pools and very average food.

Yes, to upgrade a room from a standard room to junior suite is $60.00USD per night. (It was our 10th year wedding anniversary and they did not upgrade us, as upon check in we were given a junior suite with a beautiful view and then had to change rooms to a standard room b/c thats what we paid for) We begged the hotel manager to give us the junior suite as it was real inconvenience but he would not budge. So we did not pay the extra per night. He sent us a basket of fruit and champagne for all the inconvenince.

Yes, you need to get up extra early for reservations in my opinion not worth it!

Happy Anniversary!!

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Vallarta - rooms? upgrades? anything we should know?

Nice hotel but is a drag to get up early to reserve dinner

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Vallarta - rooms? upgrades? anything we should know?

I think the Riu Vallarta is definitely at least a 4 star based on our experiences while there in January.

The standard room bathrooms do have tubs. The bathrooms have double sinks, hair dryers and a nice mounted make up mirror.

The food is just fine and I have no idea why people complain about it but I agree the buffets are the best part of the dining experience. Sir George's is also nice.

The beach is great along with the pools. The drinks are also fine. If you don't like one - try another.

We were with a group of 50 and heard no complaints. Enjoy!

7. Re: Riu Vallarta - rooms? upgrades? anything we should know?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 22:16