We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which is cheaper PV side or Cancun side?

alaska
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Topic
which is cheaper PV side or Cancun side?

Just looking for the cheaper place to vacation to some place warm, have a budget to meet, also with the whole economy do you think things will get cheaper if we wait, looking at going in Feb.? Also where is a cheap site to book at?

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
43 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which is cheaper PV side or Cancun side?

Lovingalaska,

If you try booking during Christmas & NYE Season, it will certainly be the most expensive season. Certainly considering February as an option is a really good idea... you can get really good deals and much cheaper!!

There are lots of websites to find good deals... I'd try www.bookit.com for instance...

Oh!! And about your question regarding PV or Cancun... they are both good (but very different options), depending what you have in mind for a vacation... If you want a big all inclusive resort, with 4 different restaurants, and very nice beaches, try Cancun, but if you prefer the nice atmosphere of a typical Mexican beach town, with some of the best restaurants (actually considered also a gourmet destination), then you should try Puerto Vallarta. Have a look at prices and hotel deals so you can make up your mind...

Good luck in Mexico!!

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which is cheaper PV side or Cancun side?

Usually it is cheaper for us on the west Coast to fly to the West Coast, Pv is on the West Coast :)

We like to book months in advance to get the room we want, etc, etc. My sister booked last minute and saved almost $2,000 to fly her family of three down to Marival for a week.

I think Feb is usually still considered high season but I do think you could get some great last minute deals just be flexible on where you are staying :)

We have been to both Mayan Rivera and Nuevo in Feb and both are better then a cold week in BC Canada :)

We like Itravel2000 BUT it might be a Canadian website we booked our last PV vacation on Alaskan Air and got a GREAT deal :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which is cheaper PV side or Cancun side?

so far for what I've priced for our trip in May, PV is cheaper. So far 7 nights it's about $2600.Would love to go back to cancun but if we go to pv this would be our first time there.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,796 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which is cheaper PV side or Cancun side?

As stated, it is generally cheaper and shorter to fly west coast to west coast (PV) than west coast to east coast (Cancun).

That being said, they both have things to offer and you can find all kinds of places to stay ay both from cheap to hign end. It all depends on what you want. I have been checking on our annual late April trip for 2009 and have not noticed much if any drop in prices from this year.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
43 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which is cheaper PV side or Cancun side?

I've been Cancun twice and once to Puerto Vallarta. I think PV definitely cheaper in terms of dining out and having a great meal. A similar meal would be 1.5 times more in Cancun. Drinks were also cheaper in Puerto Vallarta overall. In Cancun you can also find deals on drinks but I felt PV was just cheaper all around.

Anita

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
714 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which is cheaper PV side or Cancun side?

We chose PV 4 yrs ago due to the lower cost for similar properties in comparison to Cancun/RM area. Even with the option of a cheaper airfare to Cancun, the PV/Nuevo resorts continue to be priced lower vs Cancun area and south. Only head to Cancun area in off season (when the prices are lower). The govt/travel industry has done a good job of promoting PV area, especially with the addition of new properties and upgraded airport. Not cheap... but a better deal for a getaway (IMHO!).

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which is cheaper PV side or Cancun side?

If I was to choose between Cancun and Puerto Vallarta/Nuevo Vallarta for warmth, I would pick the PV area without a doubt. Been to PV 3 times in January or February and had near perfect weather each time - sun, and 80's but cool at night. Went to Cancun twice and was cold both times. Good example: Sweatshirts purchased on vacation all say Cancun on them. PV is alot further south and Cancun sometimes catches those northern cold fronts that come across the U.S. mainland. Also, with the hotels locations on the "strip" in Cancun, the sun is blocked by the buildings about 3pm leaving the beaches and pools (if any - many of them have washed away) shaded and chilly.

As far as price, alot will depend on your airfare but their is a huge selection of resorts in the Puerto Vallarta/Nuevo Vallarta area making the competition greater. I have read that PV has overbuilt. In comparison, there are just a few in Cancun - think I read maybe 14 at the most.

As you can tell, we are not fans of Cancun but my honest advice is to go PV/Nuevo Vallarta. Good Luck!

8. Re: which is cheaper PV side or Cancun side?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 06:22