We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nuevo Vallarta or Cancun???

Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Nuevo Vallarta or Cancun???

Me & my husband have never been to Mexico before. We are looking to go in May this year. I'm looking at the new Rui Palace Pacifico in Nuevo Vallarta or the Sun Palace in Cancun.

We would like to go into town, but for the most part we like to stay at the resort. We are looking for big pool with swim up bar, beach you can swim in, food & drinks are very important. Doesn't have to be adults only but not to many kids. Both resort's look really nice. Need advise please. Anyone who was been to these resorts or even why chose NV or Cancun.

Thanks!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
714 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nuevo Vallarta or Cancun???

Hi Dawn-recommend RIU Palace Pacifico ... based on what you've mentioned you want. Have stayed at RIU Jalisco 2x (before the Vallarta or Pacifico were built), the RIU Palace Las Americas in Cancun and the Sun Palace (last Nov). The Palace resorts are incredible.. but after several family members and friends have stayed at the RIU Pacifico .. it probably fits what you want.. The Pacifico has a swim up bar, 24 hr room service, all rooms jr suites, a more active resort and it has a great beach. We absolutely loved the Sun Palace, but is more of a boutique hotel (small, quiet... all adults..very romantic..). With Sun Palace you can visit other Palace resorts, but RIU has 2 others (Jalisco and Vallarta) that you can visit and they are within walking distance (very close). Do you want sunrises or sunsets?!! You've got 2 really nice choices... either are fantastic. My HMO -- more biased to the West coast!

New Berlin...
Level Contributor
347 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nuevo Vallarta or Cancun???

Hi Dawn,

I've never been to those two places but I've been on both coasts about 4 times each

The Water: Gorgeous on the Caribbean side, but warmer and calmer on the Pacific.

The Sand: beautiful white sand on the Caribbean side but sometimes so soft that's it hard to walk in. Pacific side has a firm light brownish gold sand that's great for effortless beach walking.

Are you an early bird or a night owl? along the Caribbean the sun rises over the ocean, fully illuminating the beach and pools but by 2PM the pools are getting shaded, followed in an hour by the beach. On the Pacific, the pools and beaches are shaded in the morning, but by 11AM they're in full sun and stay that way right up to that glorious sunset into the Pacific Ocean.

Cancun is more like Miami Beach. In PV or NV you can get a better feel for the Mexican Culture

My Choice...Marival @NV Mar 1 - 18.

Have Fun!

Tom in Milwaukee

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,852 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nuevo Vallarta or Cancun???

I've been to both places but neither resort although have been to Playacar Palace in Playa del carmen and scheduled to go to Vallarta Palace in Nuevo.

Just my preference but I so much prefer the Pacific side of Mexico, Cancun felt like Miami to me...and it is not as pretty as Pacific side with the mountains, jungle and the most awesome sunsets etc. Not as beautiful water though, but offers much more stable weather,and Mexican charm and feel than Cancun. All a personal preference....wherever you decide have fun...and good luck choosing...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nuevo Vallarta or Cancun???

I've been to both coast, I'm staying at Dreams Villamagna in May, this will be my first time in PV. The beach will be better in the cancun side from what I know. I actually stayed in the Bahia Tulum in Riviera Maya and we love it there. If you like to go into town i'll say PV is better, cancun is more comercialize and PV will give you a better mexico feel. Have fun !

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nuevo Vallarta or Cancun???

Thank you so much everyone! Great info! I'm thinking Nuevo Vallarta now. Now the question is Riu or Palace in NV or even Dreams. They all seem nice. BTW we like sunsets.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nuevo Vallarta or Cancun???

I too say Nuevo Vallarta all the way. Been to Cancun twice and stayed at the Sun Palace a few years ago. At that time, it really didn't have a beach - it was very small. It had been washed away by the hurricanes. Besides that, Nuevo is a much better destination.

Is the Dreams resort in Puerto Vallarta or Nuevo Vallarta? Remember, Nuevo has the endless walking beach and is one of the best anywhere, PV doesn't - although I am not familiar with Dreams.

San Diego
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nuevo Vallarta or Cancun???

I have not stayed at these but I have stayed at the Moon Palace Resort which is a sister resort of the Sun Palace and I love the Moon Palace. When you stay at a Palace resort, you get to get and play at all their resorts. I would probably choose the Sun Palace, so that you can go to the beach palace, cancun palace or any of the other ones for a change of pace. You'll have fun which ever one you choose. Oh yes, I would go to Cancun. It's much better than Nuevo Vallarta.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
98 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nuevo Vallarta or Cancun???

I would definitely choose Nuevo over Cancun. The town of Puerto Vallarta has much more charm than Cancun. Also, you will be fairly close to the small town of Bucerias that is much more authentic Mexico. If you decide to stay in Nuevo, be sure to venture off the property. There are hundreds of fantastic restaurants in Puerto Vallarta. I'll be making my 29th trip in March staying at the Grand Mayan in Nuevo. We've stayed in many different resorts there. And have been to the Moon Palace in Cancun, Rui Palace in Playa Del Carmen and Adventura Spa. We loved the water and beach in Cancun but prefer Puerto Vallarta by far. Any other questions about PV, just let me know.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nuevo Vallarta or Cancun???

Sorry - I sure don't agree about the Sun Palace being the place to go. Number one reason, the way the resort is situated, the sun drops below the resort and the pool area is in the shade by 3pm. Also no beach but would check that out but have read the Mexican government has done very little to fix the beaches in Cancun. Third reason: You can visit the Moon Palace etc... for a change of pace but it is an expensive cab fare there and back. Am guessing it will cost you a minimum of $40. Just my thoughts though. But then Cancun has been off our radar after being there twice and was looking for a nonexistent furnace at the resort. Brrrrr

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,852 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nuevo Vallarta or Cancun???

Just a sidenote since many mentioned palace resorts...there is a Palace resort in Nuevo Vallarta....Vallarta Palace.