We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Iowa
Level Contributor
622 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay?

Thanks in advance for any help.

First time to visit this part of Mexico.

Planning an October/November trip.

3 kids, 10, 13 and 16.

We usually rent a condo.

Eat a lot of meals in.

Mostly go out for dinner.

We really enjoy the beach and water.

Boogie boarding, snorkeling, walking the beach.

Torn between a condo in the Nuevo Vallarta resort area or in Bucerias.

Pros cons of each?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Nuevo Vallarta
Nuevo Vallarta
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,239 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

Bucerias is a "real" town with good restaurants, stores, banks, doctors, dentists, Internet cafes, etc. Nuevo Vallarta was built from scratch out in the "middle of nowhere", sort of like Cancun. (Of course, I'm prejudiced since I live in Bucerias part-time.)

Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Nuevo Vallarta
Nuevo Vallarta
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,675 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

Bucerias has many restaurants, bars, and services. There is a market right in town to buy souvieners. It is a small Mexican town. If you are looking at being closer to the real culture, this is the place to be. Nuevo is more tourist orientated. There are hotels, after hotels, after hotels. IMO it is nicer in Bucerias BUT if you are looking for staying at your resort and not venturing out, either place is fine. I feel there is just more to do in Bucerias than there is in Nuevo.

Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

I suggest the Villa Magna in Nuevo Vallarta.

Mentioned in this post
Nuevo Vallarta
Nuevo Vallarta
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Wi
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

Elana hit it right on the head. NV is nothing but huge mega resorts. They are nice. You can do everything that you have posted in both towns. I just stayed in NV in March and i stayed at the resort during the day and loved it. I also went out to either Bucerias or Pv at night for dinner. I really enjoyed Bucerias and the town is awesome and a true Mexican town.

Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Suburbs of Philly
Level Contributor
294 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

I would definitely agree with BobNH and check out Dreams Villamagna. It’s a fantastic resort located on a beautiful beach. It is also a great resort known to cater to families. They have a fantastic supervised kids club for ages 3-12. The club really allows kids to have fun on your own. Your 13 year-old and 16 year-old can spend their days snorkeling, playing on the ocean trampoline, euro-bungee or grabbing a snack by the pool. At night, the family can look forward to movies on the beach or a great show.

The food is also fantastic. They have such a wide variety of foods to choose from, everything from seafood, to Mexican to Italian and it is all included!

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,574 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?

gottotravelbug.....Have you actually stayed at Dreams Villa??? Where can anyone go snorkelling around there??

We have stayed at Marival (right nerxt door)and loved it there but all the bad reviews from the last year combined with a GREAT stay at Dreams PV has us booked in at Magna for OCt.

Do they have the ocean trampoline,euro-bungee and movies under the stars up and running now :)

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay?

I agree that the Dreams Villa Magna is a great resort, but I was suggesting a condo that is non-inclusive at the Villa Magna which is in the same area and shared with Dreams V.M.

Iowa
Level Contributor
622 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay?

For those of you familiar with the properties in Nuevo Vallarta, how would you compare Villa Magna and Playa Royale?

Mentioned in this post
Nuevo Vallarta
Nuevo Vallarta
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Suburbs of Philly
Level Contributor
294 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay?

When I was at Dreams, we were definitely able to snorkel, play on the euro-bungee as well as watch movies on the beach. The ocean trampoline was "coming soon" so I assumed it would be done by now. I just went to the website and it is still “coming soon.” Whoops!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
714 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay?

Quincytoo.. the water tramp was out in April.. but seems hit or miss as to it's predictability . It was out quite a ways, though. We were pretty worried about all the bad reviews early on, but when we were there in April... we saw none of the issues that had people had complaining about. By Oct.. the place should be running smoothly. I know they pulled staff in from the Dreams PV site over the winter to solve the start-up problems. Many of the restaurant staff had never worked at a large resort. You'll love it.. wishing I was there right now!!!