We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wedding-- Cabo or Nuevo Vallarta?

Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
minnesota
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
wedding-- Cabo or Nuevo Vallarta?

Hi I'm trying to book my wedding at either Riu Santa Fe in Cabo or Riu Jalisco in Nuevo Vallarta. From what I can tell the beach in Cabo is a bit rougher, unswimmable but closer to downtown, while Nuevo Vallarta has a nicer beach but further from downtown Puerto Vallarta. Any thoughts in trying to help me decide? I haven't been to either place, however I've been to Ixtapa and Rivieria Maya area.

minnesota
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wedding-- Cabo or Nuevo Vallarta?

Sorry I didn't write it above, but I think we're going the first week in February.

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wedding-- Cabo or Nuevo Vallarta?

Rui Jalisco is nice- beach is not the blue water like you have seen on Riveria Maya however

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wedding-- Cabo or Nuevo Vallarta?

We stayed at the Riu Santa Fe for 11 days last April and had a blast. I loved the Riu Santa Fe......but your right the beach is very hard to walk on and the surf makes it very difficult to swim in the sea. I would highly recommend Nuevo. You can always visit Bucerias which is a short cab ride from the Riu Jalisco.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: wedding-- Cabo or Nuevo Vallarta?

In my biased and partially informed opinion, you can't go wrong with Vallarta relative to Cabo. I'm biased because I love the Vallarta area, and I'm partially informed because I don't know Cabo very well - my observations are based on a two-day stopover three friends and I made there during a sailing trip from San Diego, CA to San Carlos, Sonora in May this year.

My impressions of Cabo are limited to the area located within about 6 blocks of the marina, which we (3 males, 1 female) walked extensively. In summary, this part of town struck us as a contrived tourist trap indistinguishable from many other cruise ship stops around the world. It's a new town that didn't exist until it was conjured up by the Mexican tourist authorities, so there is nothing historical or charming about it.

We were hassled / hustled pretty much non-stop whenever we set foot in town. This phenomenon was probably worse than usual because we were there at the height of the swine flu panic. Although there was no flu in the area, tourism was minimal and cruise ships weren't coming in to port. I felt sorry for the people that make their living off tourists, but it made for a pretty uncomfortable experience for us.

One of the things that left a bad taste in our mouths was the presence of a significant number of "massage parlors" and "dance clubs" in a widespread area about 2-4 blocks from the marina. I'm not a prude and have traveled extensively through SE Asia, so I've been exposed to this type of thing before. I was surprised to see such an obvious display here, however, and we suspected these establishments must exist to cater to groups of gringos down on their "boys deep sea fishing" weekends.

In the end, we concluded that this part of Cabo doesn't have any soul. Inviting a mixed group of friends & relatives to spend time in this environment wouldn't be high on my list.

As mentioned previously, my comments are based on a relatively brief exposure to a small part of the Los Cabos area. I'm sure there are many redeeming features to the region, particularly once you get outside the town of Cabo itself. From what I understand, San Jose offers a more authentic experience. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough time to check things out in more detail.

IMHO, you can't go wrong booking your wedding in Nuevo. Although people will endlessly debate the merits of Nuevo / Puerto / Bucerias relative to each other, few would argue that the Bay of Banderas region - stretching from Punta de Mita in the north to Yelapa in the south - is a great "package" that offers something for everyone. As a "bonus", a little further afield you also get Sayulita, San Pancho, Lo de Marco, and Guayabitos, as well as some interesting inland excursion possibilities.

None of the above really matters if you and your guests plan to park yourselves at an AI for your entire stay, but if you're interested in seeing what else is around, Nuevo would be an excellent choice.

As mentioned above, I'm biased towards the Vallarta area. I suggest that for more balanced feedback, you also solicit opinions on a Cabo forum.

Good luck!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: wedding-- Cabo or Nuevo Vallarta?

I should add (before others do it for me) that Nuevo Vallarta is ALSO a contrived tourist area with no historical significance. Heck, they even put the word "New" in the name, so I don't think they were trying to fool anyone!

Having said that, for a new area, Nuevo is tastefully done, and is an excellent base for excursions to other attractions in the region.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
6,921 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wedding-- Cabo or Nuevo Vallarta?

I am also biased because I love the Vallarta area. Regarding the hotels the Rui Jalisco is a much nicer setting for a wedding, also better restaurants and food. The center courtyard has a gazebo over the reflecting pool with a crown on the top similiar to the Our Lady of Guadaloupe Church in downtown Puerto Vallarta with angel columns around it. If this is too religious or not of your faith there are also other garden areas and a spot also near the beach.

The Rui Santa Fe only has one ocean front building and the beach area is mostly pool and sandy beach no where really to set up a wedding although I have seen chairs in the sand, the back garden area does have a few nice spots or in one of the restaurants.

It will also be much cooler in Cabo in January than in Puerto Vallarta.

Go to http://www.weddingsbyriu.com/index.php for more info and pictures.

7. Re: wedding-- Cabo or Nuevo Vallarta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2010, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Nuevo Vallarta
Recent Conversations