We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mayan Palace Resorts Nuevo Vallarta

Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glendale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mayan Palace Resorts Nuevo Vallarta

I have been reading this forum, & found lots of answers, so hope some one can answer the following questions for me.

We are a group of 13, brothers, sisters & spouses. We are all in our 50's & 60's, and have never taken a vacation all together. I got us reservations for 3rd week of January, 2006 for the Mayan resorts, 2 exchanges through RCI - 1 at the Grand Mayan, 1 at the Palace. I rented 2 units at the Sea Garden. All units are 1 bedroom. The RCI reservationist said we couldn't all be at the same one, but that it was all on the same site, & we could travel freely between the. I have now read that this is untrue, only Grand Mayan guests have access to all 3. I have also read here, that many people are dismayed with the Sea Garden. This is supposed to be a gold crown resort with RCI, along with the Palace & Grand, but apparently isn't.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get us all upgraded to the Grand? We had thought to make it our meeting place, because the units are supposed to be much larger, & they have full size refrigerators-better kitchens all around.

Are the beds as hard as I have read? Does the resort have the egg crate toppers on request? Are the living room beds comfy enough for us to sleep on?

Does anyone know the cost of golf on the resort? Is there a discount for guests staying there? Is it a nice course? What would the challenge level be? My brothers like to play golg, although I don't play myself.

What about the on site spa? What services do they offer, & at what cost?

I know not to say "yes" to the time share people - any other cautions?

How much is the taxi to Sam's Club for groceries? Also, is there a big difference in prices between it & the grocery store at Paradise Village Mall?

For anyone who has eaten at the restaurants at the resort, are there any favorites? How does the cost differ from one to another? I am intrigued by the "fiesta nite" offered at the resort. Which nite is this, & what is the cost per ticket?

I think by reading taxi prices/resort offerered transportation, it would be cheaper for us to get multiple taxis for the trip to the resort. How many people can ride in 1 taxi?

How long does check in take?

Thank you all for any help!

Glendale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mayan Palace Resorts Nuevo Vallarta

Please help, guys!! Some one must be able to answer some of these questions!

Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mayan Palace Resorts Nuevo Vallarta

Hi Grandma, We were at the Grand Mayan Palace in Neuvo Vallarta early in October 2005. The Sea Garden, Mayan Palace and the Grand Mayan are all in one gated resort area. There is a shuttle bus for transportation between hotels which runs every 30 minutes (mexico time). These hotels are far apart: i.e. 10 minute walks. The spa is at the Mayan Palace and the hair salon was closed for remodeling. Prices at the spa were comperable to what we pay here in Michigan: i.e. $75 for 1 hour massage, $60 for 1 hous facial. Golf was $120, plus $ for cart and caddy. Looked pretty flat, hardly any trees but nice.

the Mayan Palace is a tired place. Rooms are stail and need redecorating; not a "4 star property". We booked the Mayan Palace thru RCI extra vacations, paid $362 for the weeks stay and did the time share 3 hour high pressure sales presentation just so we could upgrade to the Grand Mayan Palace. We are not happy about the hassle we had to endure. The reason you can't all book at one property is that the time share sharks want you to do the 3 hour presentation and buy. see? Yes, only Grand Mayan guests can use all 3 hotels. good luck.

Glendale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mayan Palace Resorts Nuevo Vallarta

Thank you 102tapster! I appreciate the info. Does anyone know a way around upgrading to the Grand Mayan without having to do the time share presentation?

Level Contributor
225 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mayan Palace Resorts Nuevo Vallarta

There is no way to upgrade without going on the timeshare presentation. There is no guarentee that you would be offered the upgrade. My only suggestion if you want to have everyone at the Grand Mayan together is to keep the weeks banked with RCI for the people staying at Sea Garden and Mayan Palace and try to rent from an owner atthe grand Mayan. There are a ton of websites with people trying to rent their Grand Mayan property. You may be able to get a 2 bedroom that sleeps up to 10 people for around $1,200. I wish I would have known about it before I bought my timeshare there. Good luck!!!

cocopufflandofdumbco...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Mayan Palace Resorts Nuevo Vallarta

Well 1 thing, the Grand Mayan is much nicer than the Palace- and the beds at the palace are quite hard indeed. i would think that the Sea Garden is even worse than the Palace.

If you go to the timeshare presentation they should give you a 50 USD per person golf round. ( caddy is mandatory at a cost of 30USD per caddy PLUS tips, too ) The golf course is nice and not very challenging.

Fiesta nite is not fun, but if you want to go its every thursday, and if im not mistaken 450 pesos per person. also, i do not recommend the Cafe del Lago buffet, as the food is lousy.

Personally, i enjoy the "mongolian grill" at the poolside snack bar "Balche".

Check in should be fast.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mayan Palace Resorts Nuevo Vallarta

We just returned from a week at the Palace. Here are my answers to your questions.

Yes, the furnishings are a little dated, but they are impeccably clean and well kept. The beds are hard; we didn't try to get an "egg crate" because everybody was so tired from a day in the sun that we went right to sleep. My son and his girlfriend slept on the couches in the living room and had no complaints. The kitchen is small. We'd planned to go to Walmart for food, but when we saw how little storage and prep space there was, we just bought cereal, sandwich makings, and drinks at the on-site market. They have daily maid service and turn down service.

There are three main buildings at the Palace. The blue building is where the lobby is, the spa and exercise room and the internet cafe. It's also right next to the Grand Mayan (where we all went every morning to use their wireless on our laptop). The red and yellow buildings are closest to the beach and pool. We were a little disappointed at first that we were in the blue building, but by the end of the week we were appreciating it. Since we only went to the pool area once a day for a few hours, the rest of the time we were glad to be closer to taxis and other facilities.

We ate at several of the restaurants on site. You can visit any of the hotels to use their restaurants. The only thing you can't do is swim in the Grand Mayan pool unless you're a Grand Mayan guest. (And there are ways around this. My teens just turned their red RCI wristbands inside out so that they were white and looked similar to the silver Grand Mayan wristbands. They wanted to swim in the Grand Mayan lazy river. Nobody stopped them, and as they said, what's the worse that a security guard could do but make them leave!) I can't imagine they would stop you from visiting someone in a room at the Grand Mayan if you all wanted to meet there for breakfast. After all, it is a hotel. We wandered all over the Grand Mayan property, and were never questioned.

We really enjoyed Samba restaurant at the Grand Mayan for dinner because they had good food and a harpist-flute duo that were excellent. We also tried Tumtah, the seafood restaurant on the beach. Beautiful view and nouvelle seafood creations. For breakfast we did the Greenbreak restaurant across the street from the hotels twice, and the Buffet place twice (although we all ordered off the menu instead of getting the buffet). We ate several meals/snacks around the pool. We found all the food to be well prepared and fairly priced. We had spent several vacations in Cabo where all the restaurant prices were outrageous, but we felt the prices in all of PV were no more than in California. (750 pesos for eggs, hash browns, bacon and toast. Coffee was 250 pesos, a soda at the bar was 150). Prices at the spa were also similar to what we pay in California at nice resorts.

We did the Fiesta Night on Thursday. As another poster said, it's 450 pesos for an all you can drink and eat buffet. I thought the food was quite good for a buffet. They had several stations where they were cooking items to order. For entertainment, the MC was great and very funny. They had several contests (like who's the most macho man), and then then had dancers performing dances from the different regions of Mexico. There was a Mariachi band with singers, the pole flyers, and about eight fireworks. We'd seen this "cultural" type of entertainment twice before in Cabo. But if you've never seen it, it would be entertaining. My favorite part of the night was the dancing after the show. They played snippets from about 30 classic old rock and roll songs, and everyone from kids to grandparents were on the dance floor.

All taxis have a set price between destinations. The difference is that car taxis (maximum four people) are one price, and vans, which can sit 8 people, are twice the amount. The six of us went into PV several times and it was 320 pesos, plus tip.

I think the biggest problem with your plan is the room in the Mayan Sea Garden. Yes, they are in the same property, but they are several buildings away. There are probably 4 large condominium units between the Grand Mayan and the Sea Garden. If you can't change your reservation, I would put the people who like to walk in those units! Otherwise, you could take the timeshare tour and try to get upgraded to the Grand Mayan. They weren't offering this the week that we were there because it was Christmas and everything was sold out.

Finally, my favorite thing about the Mayan properties is that it is a Mexican hotel chain. Because of this, probably 80% of the guests are Mexican families there on vacation. It allows you to really feel like you're in a different country, because they aren't necessarily catering only to Americans. Everybody spoke some English, but we had some problems in communicating because if somebody (ie the concierge) didn't know an answer, they just kind of ignored you and hoped you'd go away. I quickly learned that if the person on duty at the time wasn't fluent, that I should just come back later and try again. Also, the concierge doesn't book the tickets for the tours and attractions like in America. You need to go to the travel agent, in an office off the lobby, and they will answer all your questions about tours and activities.

That's all I can think of. It's beautiful weather down there, and we were all sorry that we couldn't stay longer.

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mayan Palace Resorts Nuevo Vallarta

Does anyone know if an employee named Sergio still works on the activities staff? He ran the volleyball games as well as many other activities last year and my teenage sons got along with him great and are so hoping he will be there when we return in March! Has anyone seen him lately??

Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
145 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mayan Palace Resorts Nuevo Vallarta

is this post still current, or have you already gone? I just returned from the Grand, and have stayed there twice, the sea garden once, palace in the vallarta marina once as well. My in-laws are owners there and I could write for a while, but your comment about only being allowed one week at the grand makes me think you are going in weeks 51 or 52 in which case the restriction is true. Other times of the year it is ok, and due to the crackdown on the sharks at the airport, mayan resorts have started allowing multiple weeks in december 2007. Again, is this post current or not?

Hampden, Maine
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mayan Palace Resorts Nuevo Vallarta

Wilson,

What's your take on the Sea Garden? Heading there in late April with my wife...

10. Re: Mayan Palace Resorts Nuevo Vallarta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 17:18