We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent Grand Mayan experience?

Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Thornton, Colorado
Level Contributor
48 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Recent Grand Mayan experience?

I will be heading to the Grand Mayan in 3 weeks and looking for someone with some recent experience they are willing to share. We are going thru RCI on an exchange and I have read various reviews that if you don't own there, they treat you badly. Also I'm trying to find out if they offer airport transportation and/or is there a car rental company onsite? Any other info would be greatly appreciated...I've stayed at the Grand Mayan in Acapulco as well as Riveria Maya and had no problems at either one. Hope to not have any issues here.

Thanks, Brenda

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
335 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent Grand Mayan experience?

Exchanging thru RCI, I don't think you'll be treated than an owner. The complaints stem from the T/S presentations or from not getting an oceanview room but just as a regular guest of the hotel, you'll be treated well.

They do have transportation from the airport but NOT back to the airport.

Email them for this request:

mpconcierge01.nvo@grupovidanta.com

Have a wonderful vacation,

Bakersfield
Level Contributor
491 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent Grand Mayan experience?

We have been there twice on SFX exchanges (The last time at Spring Break) we did not get an ocean view but received great service. The employees of the Grand Mayan were very nice. The only people that treated us badly were the timeshare ladies who got rude after we told them no talk. They were just trying to convince us to take the 90 minute easy presentation (I have heard it is 6 hours of hell)

We declined.

A couple of things the pool deck is rough so make certain you have some sandals or shoes to protect your feet. The little market by the parking structure is very expensive There is a mini market down the road just past the Sea Garden I think the name was XOXO They have some fruit veg eggs drinks and snacks many groceries Better stocked than a 7-11 and cheaper. It was reasonable. (Probably half the price of the Mayan Mini Mart)

On restaurants WE like Guidos (Just a short walk past the Sea Garden)

Also El Pescatore (By Paradise Village) and Karens Place in Bucerias.. We will not return to the #1 rated restaurant in Nuevo Eddies Nopal Beach it was a big disappointment (I wrote a review)

Napalitos in the Paradise Village Mall was good and very reasonable.

Thornton, Colorado
Level Contributor
48 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent Grand Mayan experience?

Thanks for the great info! I also was reading we should hit the WalMart or the other store that is like it. When you say within walking distance to these restaurants off site, how far are you talking? Since we are going with another couple, just want to be prepared. Also, do you know if there is a car rental desk at the resort? We were thinking of renting a vehicle for a couple days to explore on our own.

We are interested in doing the zip line tour for sure and want one other major all day thing to do...but not swimming with the dolphins or anything like that. I might send the other 3 deep sea fishing...I get too motion sick to do that...any suggestions there? I honestly would be quite happy by the pool with a good book and a few umbrella drinks...

Brenda

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent Grand Mayan experience?

Have a grea time. Though I did not stay at Grand Mayan, I went to two restaurants very close to Grand Mayan. Guidos and Eddies Place. I thought Guidos was just okay and very overpriced. I liked Eddie's Place for a good inexpensive meal. Very casual and very small but good for one or two nights in my opinion. Eddie's Place is around the corner from Guidos and Guidos is very close to an XOXO store. Apparently they are very close to the Mayan Sea Garden entrance. Fajita Republic is also very good and closer to Grand Velas. For some great restaurants, you might want to venture into Bucerias. Yuo can check the Bucerias forum for some great restaurnts. I highly recommend Mezzogiorno and Adautos.

Have a wonderful trip!

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
101 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent Grand Mayan experience?

Am not sure if another poster mentioned, but they do have car rental on site. I don't believe they treat RCI "badly"...that said, ocean view is hard to come by even for owners. Definitely do not do the timeshare unless you are thinking of buying. Concur that you should take sandals for the pool deck.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
124 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent Grand Mayan experience?

I own at the GM. As a RCI exchange you will get a gulf course view. For your grocery needs walk past the Sea Gardens to the bus stop. There is a booth right at the bus stop. Ask Eli which bus to take to go the Wal-Mart. He is a great guy and will help you out. It is $12 MX to Wal-Mart and another $5.50 MX to El Centro. So you can get to WM and back for $2 US or to El Centro for $3 US, Avoid the bus at rush hour as it will be very crowded.

The pools are great. Make sure that you try out the Lazy River, Wave Pool & Slide. There is a deli on site by the Spa. It has home made coconut ice cream to die for.

Alberta
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent Grand Mayan experience?

How does a non-owner rent from Grand Mayan?

wa
Level Contributor
222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent Grand Mayan experience?

Funny05

Great place to do this would be to go to MyResort.com . I would love to rent you a week. I also own the Grand Luxxe Villas.

Alberta
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent Grand Mayan experience?

We're looking for a 2 bdrm for 2 weeks at the Grand Mayan for approx $1400 Canandian per week.

Thanks for your reply!

Fort Wayne, IN
Level Contributor
217 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent Grand Mayan experience?

I don't know the Canadian exchange rates, but the maintenance fees alone for a 2 bedroom for 2 weeks would be close to $1800 US.