We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rentals

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rentals

just confirmed our dates of 5/15 to 5/22 and am looking for reliable car rental agencies. not sure if we want to rent for the full week or just a couple of days and then taxi. as seasoned travellers we've found the "big" names are not always the best...sometimes we rent from the local companies for better pricing and service (but that varies by destination). this is our 1st trip to nv and the only rental company listed in the nv pages on ta is national. any other recommendations?

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,123 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rentals

I can highly recommend one of the best auto rental companies around, Gecko Auto Rentals, www.geckorentcar.com. They are in Bucerias, just to the north of NV and I rented cars from them for 6 years before I bought a used car (from them). Great customer-service and airport pickup and dropoff is inculded in the price, a considerable savings. The price also includes all of the insurance that you need.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rentals

Ditto on Gecko. They'll hold your reservation with no deposit or credit card # required, and they give a discount if you pay cash. The owner is Canadian. You'd best contact them ASAP, because they usually book up early for peak periods.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rentals

thanks. i found their website through a search but always like personal recommendations from travellers. how is the parking situation in the nv, pv, bucaries area?

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,123 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rentals

Could you explain what you mean by "parking situation"? All I can say is that when I started driving in Bucerias, I had to learn how to parallel park all over again. (Most of the parking that I do back home in Illinois is at large stores or shopping malls that have their own lots.)

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,613 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rentals

Hi there: I just wanted to add a link that shows the parking garages in downtown Vallarta. You can often park on the street by parallel parking--as Elena says--but, what we do is often just park in these garages (see below) It's not expensive, and it saves the hassle of finding a spot near where you want to go.

You can scroll down these maps to see exact locations, but basically there are 3: One at the start of the Malecon (Parque Hidalgo), one in between (Parque Juarez) and one in the heart of the south side (Cardenas).

Feel free to ask on the Puerto Vallarta Forum if you don't know which garage is closest to where you want to be. Have fun!

http://vallarta-info.com/downtown.html

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rentals

Thanks for the map, careyeroslib. I'm planning to drive into PV the afternoon of Dec 12 in order to absorb the ambiance of the last day of the religious processions related to the Día de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe:

www.banderasnews.com/0812/nb-guadalupe.htm

Do you know whether the parkade at Parque Hidalgo will be accessible, or will it be affected by the streets that are shut down in association with this event?

Thanks.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,613 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rentals

I'm not sure but, in the past, I don't recall any closures per se, just some delays. And the Parque Hidalgo would be the best of all 3. Enjoy!

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rentals

"parking situation" means...is there ample parking whether on the street or parking garages/lots? if ample parking is available is it free or is there a fee? in some locales it's more cost/time effective to use a taxi because you waste a lot of time and money on finding and/or paying for parking. we're staying in nuevo vallarta and we like to get out explore so i'm just trying to see which will be more cost effective in the long run. i know there are buses but we don't want to be limited by schedules and transfers.

and thanks for the parking garage links!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,613 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rentals

Hi again Mary: No, there is no fee for street parking nor are their time limits (i.e. as long as it's a legitimate parking spot you can park all day and all night). Garages are app. 12 pesos/hour. I forget exactly. Here's a google street view of a downtown Vallarta street. If you manoevre around with the horizontal arrows (top left) you get a 360 view. Not usually much where you want to be which is why the garages are great.

http://tinyurl.com/ybbcs58

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,123 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rentals

Don't think you'll have to worry much, since there aren't any bus schedules or transfers.Buses don't run late at night, though. In Bucerias, I've found that many folks don't pay much attention to the one-way street signs and it can be a bit disconcerting to be going the correct way and to suddenly have another car coming at you. Also, you have to get used to making left turns from the right-hand frontage road if you're on Route 200. If you rent from Gecko, they will give you a crash course about local driving.