We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go for remote babymoon near Puerto Vallarta?

Berkeley, CA
5 posts
Save Topic
Where to go for remote babymoon near Puerto Vallarta?

Hi! My husband and I are planning to fly to Puerto Vallarta for 5 or 6 days before we have our first baby (I'll be almost 8 months pregnant). We definitely want to get out of Puerta Vallarta and away from a big resort type of vacation. We are simple and adventurous travelers, usually backpackers, and prefer a remote, bungalo on the beach type of place (without big hotels, high rises, and expensive tourist packages and prices) where we can walk to a small village and possibly have access to tours to cultural sites and ecological destinations. We are simple travelers, usually backpack and camp, but this time we would like to stay in a bungalo type of place right on the beach--beach (and snorkeling if possible) is a priority b/c at this stage in pregnancy I will want to be floating in the water as much as possible! I have been researching Yelapa and Riviera Nayarit but I'm wondering if these places are now blown up and very touristy and if somewhere more out of the way and authentic still exists? I see there are a lot of beach towns north along the Riviera. Guayabitos? I was also looking into heading down to Costa Alegre--we are okay with a 3 or 4 hour bus ride but I can't figure out where to go down there and if we need a rental car to get around (we definitely want to avoid this added expense/hassle). Any suggestions would be most appreciated! THANKS!

La Cruz de...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go for remote babymoon near Puerto Vallarta?

Quimixto is a small and 20 year ago version of Yelapa. Accessible by the same water taxis as Yelapa. Just 10 minutes by boat from Boca de Tomatlan.

Chacala is a fishing village north of Guyabitos.. Cool bungalows on the beach. Very low key.

Punta de Mita in the town of Emiliano Zapata still has low key bungalows and a beautiful beach. villaslasolas@yahoo.com

Pt. Coq., BC Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go for remote babymoon near Puerto Vallarta?

I'm sorry that I'm not able to provide the info that you are asking for but I would suggest that you first check with the airine before booking because I know that some will not allow a pregnant lady to fly if she is passed a certain time of her pregnancy. Good luck and have fun.

Pt. Coq., BC Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go for remote babymoon near Puerto Vallarta?

Sorry, 2 typos on previous post, I meant airline instead of "airine" and also pass instead of "passed".

Berkeley, CA
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go for remote babymoon near Puerto Vallarta?

Thanks so much RastaMama! It's really encouraging to have someone reply with answers to my questions and not just comments on the and concerns about the fact that I'm pregnant! Makes me wish I hadn't even included that piece of information...Anyway...in the places you mention, are all of the beaches good for swimming/snorkeling? If my husband wants to go surfing is there a more wavey beach near by any of the location? MUCHAS GRACIAS!!

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,478 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go for remote babymoon near Puerto Vallarta?

You have made two swipes at posters commenting about the airlines rules.....must be getting the same advice at home and it's bothering you??

I don't think other posters are trying to be rude by commenting about your advanced state of pregnancy and flying out of the country and seeking a remote out of the way vacation, they are just trying to be helpful :)

We just had friends who just did the same vacation you seek, they got back today and sounds like they had a great time and found a wonderful little village north of Punta Minta, the motel cost them $22 a night and they loved it. They did rent a car through, I don't think the bus went up that far??......maybe google Gecko Guys Car rental in Bucerias??

I will get more info for you.:)

Edited: 01 March 2010, 03:29
Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go for remote babymoon near Puerto Vallarta?

Quincytoo, Just to clarify, I don't think it's called Gecko Guys. It's Gecko Auto Rentals and the website is www.geckorentcar.com. Great customer service and all the insurance is included in the price they quote you. I rented cars from them since 2002 until I bought my own car a couple of years ago.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,478 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go for remote babymoon near Puerto Vallarta?

LOL How did I have Gecko Guys stuck in my head all these years?? Thanks you Elenax :)

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,468 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go for remote babymoon near Puerto Vallarta?

I would really recommend Mar de Jade. It´s in Chacala. The owner is a physician (woman, Mexican). It´s right on the beach. If you don´t see what you`re looking for on the site, contact them. They do have upscale accommodation, but they started as just what you´re talking about and I believe they still have that level of accommodations if so desired.

http://www.mardejade.com/

La Cruz de...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go for remote babymoon near Puerto Vallarta?

There are good surf spots at all the places I mentioned. I am a surfer also.

Chacala has a left hand point, though you have to take a 10 minute boat ride at $300 pesos a shot. Could get expensive for lots of sessions. good body surfing on the beach in town.

Quimixto has a good left hand point. Don't tell anyone in the water I told you. LOL

Mita has 4 decent waves within walking distance from the bungalows.

It may be a challenge to get to all these places from the airport but once you are there you won't need a rental car to entertain yourselves. Especially if there is a swell.

10. Re: Where to go for remote babymoon near Puerto Vallarta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2010, 05:16