We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping/currency?

Richmond
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping/currency?

What currency is best to take for tipping? I heard that the locals prefer Pesos, and that some banks won't even asccept American dollars at this time.

Drayton Valley...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping/currency?

We always take about $100.00 and change it into pesos for tips...We were told a while ago that the people working at the resorts work very long hours and are unable to get to the banks to exchange their $$$. Its just nicer for them...Tip well, its worth it.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping/currency?

Boomer is right on all counts, we always tip in pesos and tip often.

Are you from Richmond BC?? If so there is no reason to change Cand to USd (losing money in the exchange) then changing USD to pesos losing even more money.

We use our debit cards at the many ATMS and banks around Bucerias, Nuevo and PV.

Welcome to TA and have a great vacation :)

Richmond
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping/currency?

Thanks for the reply. Yes we live in Richmond, B.C. I just spoke to a friend from work who is building a house in PV, and she told me the same thing about Canadian currency being worth more.

Thanks!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,818 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping/currency?

Definitely do not bother getting USD!

Two weeks ago we went with some friends from here in Saskatoon to Nuevo Vallarta- we forgot to give them $$ advice and they actually went and got USD from their bank! Silly. But since they already had their cash, we did a little experiment. We paid for everything (meals off the resort, souvenirs, tours) in pesos and they paid with their USD. Not even counting the money they lost exchanging it before the trip, they got screwed compared to what we paid.

We just get pesos from the ATMs. Easy peasy. :) If you need to get smaller denomination bills for tipping, staff at the hotel front desk will gladly do this for you, we did this with 200s every couple of days.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping/currency?

Wow riisk thanks for posting that about your friends and their USD against your pesos :)

Also Riisk had a good point about exchanging large pesos bills at the front desk for smaller bills. We do this too and ask for small bills and 10 and 20 pesos coins. Sometimes the front desk staff did not have the change so they would send us over to Victor the Lobby bartender who always had change always ;D

One think we did this trip that worked well for us, we tipped Ivan (server at the Seaside beach bar at Magna) 50 pesos at the beginning of the day and told him we would tip him another 50 at the end of the day. We usually stayed down there for most of the day or 4 -5 rounds of drinks (not all were alcohol at least for me LOL). At the end of an incredible 8 days of excellent service by Ivan we tipped him another 120 pesos when we said good bye.

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping/currency?

OP. Please, can you give a traceable source to where you heard that US dollars are being rejected by a Mexican bank? I'm not talking about first thing in the morning where a bank might not yet have received the day's exchange rate from DF. Nor am I referring to when a bank may not have enough pesos on hand if someone wheels in a couple of suitcases of dollars. I am referring to when a Mexican bank refuses dollars because of a fear of the value of the dollar. That at least is the implication of what I got from your post. If true, it is the first time in history and I'd like to write an article for a certain publication.

As far as what currency to use, with the exception of large stores along the border I always use pesos. This isn't an economic choice. Just a sign of respect. If I am going to visit someone's country I am going to use their currency and whenever possible their language. I'm a guest and i was brought up believing that guests show respect to their hosts.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping/currency?

I have heard from many of my friends living in Nuevo, Bucerias and PV that many of the banks there do not exchange UDS over to pesos, a while back a few were if you had an account with them but for a limited amount.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,882 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping/currency?

Hi GTBob, A "traceable source" would be the sign that is at the teller windows at the Bancomer branch in Bucerias. As of April, 2009, they stopped accepting USD for exchange into pesos. This applies to both cash and travellers checks. There are other banks in the PV area that have done the same thing, but I can't tell you which ones for sure. I CAN tell you that the Scotiabank branch in the little strip mall next to the Mega store near Bucerias was exchanging both USD and CAN when I left Bucerias at the end of January.

From what I understand, there is no "fear of the value of the dollar". I've read a lot of discussions about this topic on the Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree Mexico Forum and people there have said many banks are no longer exchanging because the U.S. dollar is the currency of the drug trade and they are trying to get out of the "money laundering" business.

(I have to admit that until I became a regular contributor here on the TA, I thought that pesos and USD were pretty much interchangeable and spent accordingly. I just slapped the top of my own hand. LOL!)

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,049 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping/currency?

Elenamex, I've seen the same signs and have head it is for the same reason.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,447 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping/currency?

I've seen the same on Cozumel and Isla Mujeres in the Yucatan since last spring. I believe it's an initiative to curb money laundering.