We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive Family Friendly Restaurants Near the Grand Mayan

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Inexpensive Family Friendly Restaurants Near the Grand Mayan

I posted this note last year but we canceled out trip due to the swine flu outbreak. With hind sight we should have gone but...so it goes. I thought I would post again and see if there is anything new since last year.

This is a great forum! My husband and 2 kids (age 2 and 4) and I will be staying at the Grand Mayan the first week in May. We're on a budget but love good food. Can anyone recommend reasonably priced authentic Mexican and fresh seafood places near the Grand Mayan? I see lots of places mentioned in Bucerias. We've very open to family run and hole in the wall places as long as they are clean and safe for our kids. Good view, drinks and spicy foods are pluses. How about any good taco carts or street food to try?

We're not likely to eat at the GM due to price and resort quality food. And we'll do a big food shop at Mega when we get there but we want to try the local fare a few times.

We can't wait to escape the Seattle winter for warm sun at the poolside!

thanks!

Saratoga, CA
Level Contributor
656 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive Family Friendly Restaurants Near the Grand Mayan

There aren't really any taco carts in Nuevo. If you're staying at the GM, just ask one of the bellmen to take you in a golf cart out to Taco Break restaurant near the front entrance to the resort. It's open air, backs up to the golf course, and is part of the GM and you can even charge to your room. Good tacos too... (especially the shrimp tacos).

You can also take a golf cart shuttle down to the Sea Garden and then keep walking toward the new OXXO. If you turn left, you will see Guido's Italian restaurant - pizza, pasta, etc...

If you keep walking past Guido's and follow the street to the right, you will see Eddies Place / Nopal Beach. Good inexpensive food for B,L & D.

Curt

Saratoga, CA
Level Contributor
656 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive Family Friendly Restaurants Near the Grand Mayan

OOPS... Posted twice for some reason.

Curt

Edited: 24 April 2010, 01:27
Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive Family Friendly Restaurants Near the Grand Mayan

I went to Eddie's Nopal Beach last Sunday night and thoroughly enjoyed what I had, which was the beef kebab. It came with veggies, rice, hummus and a creamy cucumber salad. It sure won't be my last time there!

Saratoga, CA
Level Contributor
656 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive Family Friendly Restaurants Near the Grand Mayan

Eddie's quite a character, isn't he? Delicious food and great company. You'll need to try the mahi with white wine sauce... Unbelievable.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive Family Friendly Restaurants Near the Grand Mayan

Another "thumbs up" for Eddies - the shrimp burritos are excellent, and they mix up a pretty mean margarita too! There are several different seating areas, I'm sure you'll find something suitable for the kids.

Henderson, NV and...
Level Contributor
571 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inexpensive Family Friendly Restaurants Near the Grand Mayan

I agree with all the other posts. Eddies, Guido's and Tace Break are good and quite reasonable. The best is Claudio"s Place. It is near the main entrance to the Mayan Resorts. We walked there 2 times while we stayed at the Mayan. They have a large selection to choose from as well as a shrimp/fish buffet on Tues (180 pesos) or BBQ on Thurs (150 pesos). Both are all you can eat buffets. It is a really nice place that I recommend highly. In addition you can go to the Paradise Plaza which has a McDonalds, Dominos as well as a Mexican and Brazil restaurant. None of them are fancy and a kid friendly too. Hope this helps

calgary
Level Contributor
400 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Inexpensive Family Friendly Restaurants Near the Grand Mayan

Claudios place ? I think you are thinking of Claudios Meson Bay which is in Bucerias.

Austin TX.
Level Contributor
268 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inexpensive Family Friendly Restaurants Near the Grand Mayan

You can also try fajita republic, good food and drinks and wonderful ambiance, a cab should have you there in less then 10min. enjoy

Fort Wayne, IN
Level Contributor
217 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inexpensive Family Friendly Restaurants Near the Grand Mayan

No, they are right, there is a Claudio's in Nuevo also, just outside the Grand Mayan on a side street.

Saratoga, CA
Level Contributor
656 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inexpensive Family Friendly Restaurants Near the Grand Mayan

Re. Claudios -

After reading the recent reviews of Claudio's here on TA, I'd think twice about going there. Maybe they used to be good, but it sounds like things have changed for the worse.

Just my $.02