We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bull Fighting

PA, USA
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bull Fighting

Hi, I was wondering if anybody had any info on going to a bull fight in Puerto Vallarta.

Specifically, I would like to know when (days & times) and where they are held?

Also, how much does it cost? Do they kill the bull or is it more like a show? Is it a tourist trap or do locals attend?

My wife & I will be at the Riu from 1/7 to 1/14. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Mike

Burlington
Level Contributor
480 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bull Fighting

It is not a show..The bulls are brought out already bleeding from the mouth form whatever shots they are given. One of my sons and my wife left after one "kill". The only gratifying thing to my other son and me was one of the bulls gored a matador before being butchered. They guy was really bad got gored twice by the bull and the kill was so bad the bull was obviously in agony. Mexican crowd booe dhim out of the ring.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,524 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bull Fighting

The bullfights are held every Wednesday, 5pm, at the Plaza de Toros. You buy your tickets at the gate, before "showtime" (can't recall the exact charge).

See map at 'vallartainfo(dot)com' for directions.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
60 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bull Fighting

Mike,

The bullfight are for real. Wednesday at 17:00hrs, around $30 usd, locals do attend

The bullfight is just like you will find it at any other bullring in Mexico. The bullfighters are trained young men trying to earn a name in the busimess. We have seen some of the best going trhough this bullring obviously before they become Toreros, right now they are called novilleros, the bulls are as scary and near the 650 pounds.

It is real amd worht a visit if your into bullfighthing; if you aren´t it is a good opportuniy to learn about it.

Hope you enjoy your stay

PA, USA
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bull Fighting

Thank you to all for the great info.

Keep it coming.

Mike

orange county
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bull Fighting

They walk a fine line in Mexico with the bull fighting... I went to Cabo and a guy tried to recruit me to watch the DogFights.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bull Fighting

It really upsets me to know caring and compassionate ppl would support this type of cruelty. Its just very sad, these poor animals live their last moments terrified, in great pain, then are brutally killed... all for someones entertainment.

I know this post will probably be deemed inappropriate, and Im not trying to offend anyone, i just think there are many more things to do in Mexico, that will leave happy and joyous memories.

PA, USA
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bull Fighting

Hi Silverstar76, I value your opinion and input. Sounds like you have some first hand experience here. Have you ever been to one of these bull fights in PV? Or are you basing your info on what some else may have told you? Or what you think may happen?

Also, I never said we would be attending a bullfight. I am simply trying to find out what happens to the bull. That is why I asked the questions, and based on the responses I get my wife and I will decide if we feel like attending.

I'm also open to hear about any other suggestions you have about other things to do while in PV.

Mike

orange county
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bull Fighting

I know in Cabo the locals were wagering on the dog fights. I didn't go see them but several were exiting a building where they were taking place and there seemed to be money involved. Seemed kind of seedy.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bull Fighting

Going to a bull fight would be the absolute last thing I ever would do in PV! Its such a waste of paradise!! But people are all different & have their own entertainment ideas & I respect that. Its just not for us ever.

Level Contributor
274 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bull Fighting

Hi Mike 71

My husband and I went to PV 2 years ago, and we were very skeptical about attending the bull fights. Needless to say we did go, and I can see how some people have strong opinions about the crulety to these animals and how they suffer.

Not to sound selfish, but we attended only to see an authentic part of the Mexican culture.

No matter what all of our thoughts are on this subject, this is a part of their culture, and is a reality in their lives. That I can honestly say was why we decided to attend.

It's great that you are gathering info. before you go. Gives you a little something to go on.

When we attended there was a mixture of tourists, as well as locals, and yes it was $30 U.S. per person to attend.

Enjoy your stay in PV.

We will be there from the 16th-30th of Jan. 2006