We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vallarta~vs~Cancun

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
998 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Vallarta~vs~Cancun

I am just wondering if any of the Palace members here have anything to share about the Vallarta Palace. I am a Cancun fan, but I am thinking about trying the Palace in Puerto Vallarta for my birthday this year.

I know the water isn't as blue and the sand isn't as white, but there are mountains and the whales are migrating south this tme of year and that is something that is on my "bucket list".

Any comments or advice are very welcome from anyone who has experienced both places, Palace member or not!

oshkosh,wisconsin
Level Contributor
359 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vallarta~vs~Cancun

We have been to Xpu-ha and Vallarta palace and vallarta is very nice same level wait staff,rec staff and over all service-food is very good-we are vallarta fans and think u need to go-at palace u will get 4 free tours and 1 was an all day-8 hours-sailing and when we went we saw whales on that trip and if u do they turned our boat around and followed them for awhile even though that put the crew behind schedule meaning there day of work just got that longer-free calls to u.s./canada-city tour was included as was a sunset tour and a canal tour-if u have a specific ? that i can answer i will-we have been palace members and to vallarta palace 5 timesso ask away-enjoy

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
187 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vallarta~vs~Cancun

The scenery in the Vallarta area is gorgeous and you are right about the mountains and the amazing Pacific Coast Sunsets.

I am a Palace member too - but have not stayed at Cancun Palace (only visited). I'm just wrapping up a stay at Vallarta Palace and so far it's my 3rd favorite (of 3 that I've stayed at). The staff are generally as expected super friendly and helpful. The food is good but in some ways the dinner dining options are limited. I don't overly love the Mexican buffet at night and would have preferred an international type, MoMoNoHana is typical of Palace and good, I loved Mar Intimo (similar to La Trattoria at Aventura Spa for a menu and a fabulous view), and the Brazilian BBQ was nice too. The in-room jacuzzis will be smaller than what you are used to, ditto to the rooms in general. The beach here is the nicest Vallarta beach I've ever stayed on. There is no swim up bar, but the poolside service is good. All in all I've had a good stay and would return.

Keep asking and I'm sure there's plenty of us who can answer your questions :)

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vallarta~vs~Cancun

I have stayed at ALL the Palace Resorts and like the one in Nuevo second best to the new one in Punta Cana.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vallarta~vs~Cancun

We are not MP members, but just got back from staying at the Grand Mayan in Nuevo Vallarta. We go to Cancun every year for 2 weeks.

I enjoyed PV (went to the town twice), but I will take Cancun / Playa Del Carmen over Puerto Vallarta / Nuevo Vallarta any time. You are correct the ocean isn't close to the Carribean and the beach at the Grand Mayan is a Gray / Gravel type sand. Which is very, very hot to walk on (will burn your feet type sand). The water was murky, the palapas were small and in need of repair and the chairs have seen a better day.

We went to the beach before/right at sunrise to watch and help the baby turtles. Now that was really cool, something not done in Cancun.

Glad I went, but it will be quite a while before we return, if we even do.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vallarta~vs~Cancun

CancunCrew, you seem to be confused here - the OP was asking about the Vallarta Palace, not the Mayan Palace. These are two completely different resorts located on opposite sides of the PV marina.

Although the ocean water will be roughly the same for both, that's where the similarities end. The beach in front of the Vallarta Palace is excellent - it's not at all like the "gray / gravel type sand" you've described for the Mayan Palace. The palapas at the Vallarta Palace are not small and do not need repair, and there are plenty of new loungers to go around.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
998 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vallarta~vs~Cancun

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies!

We decided to go ahead and book Vallarta Palace for December 1 to 8, 2010. I checked room availability on line and then went ahead and booked a decent priced direct flight from San Francisco to Puerto Vallarta, but when I called member services (we are VIP members) they said that week is completly sold out!!! PANIC!!!

I have checked the Palace site, Orbitz, Expedia, Apple, all the sites on Kayak, etc. and they are all showing availability for that week, even concierge rooms. This morning when I re-checked the prices had even gone down. It says "Based on new availability the price of your package has dropped since your 1st request".

I just can't imagine the whole resort is sold out on the off season, member services even said there was no convention or anything scheduled. We want to book through member services because we want to use one of our pre-paid weeks, not pay cash for something we already paid for.

I am hoping it is a computer glitch in the Miami member reservations office...not much I can do on the weekend except wring my hands and worry about my non-refundable air tickets LOL!

If there is anyone down there I would really appreciate it if you could ask at the desk for a name and direct contact (email or phone) to the head concierge, reservations or Guest services locally at Vallarta Palace. I am sure it will work out...worst case we have to pay a fee to get our tickets changed to Cancun but I had really talked my husband and self in to Vallarta Palace and we are both looking forward to it.

It's always something! LOL!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
998 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vallarta~vs~Cancun

Hooray!!! Success! Finally this afternoon our confirmations showed up in our "Palace Member" account for Vallarta Palace! I am so happy and excited! I want to thank all the Palace staff members who helped us get this straightened out, especially Senor Lopez! Gracias, thank you, thank you Thank You!!!

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
187 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vallarta~vs~Cancun

So happy for you!! :) Have a fantastic vacation! :)

Make sure you do have dinner at Mar Intimo.. best food and views MHO.. :)

9. Re: Vallarta~vs~Cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2011, 06:43