We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mayan Sea Garden & Grand Mayan for Christmas

Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort McMurray
Level Contributor
26 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Mayan Sea Garden & Grand Mayan for Christmas

Our family is staying at rooms in these 2 resorts over the holidays. Just wondering if anyone has tips on places to eat nearby. Will definitely be heading downtown and to Bucerias as well, any ideas about the cost of the water taxi?

Also wondering if anyone knows if you can phone between the resorts inexpensively, or if BB messenger works in Mexico so we can keep in contact. We hear the drinks are pricey, so we will be buying some beer at the store, any problems taking a cooler to the beach, we hear the pool is a problem for coolers.

Looking forward to a family Christmas in Mexico, looking forward to Tamales at Vickys !

Fort Wayne, IN
Level Contributor
217 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mayan Sea Garden & Grand Mayan for Christmas

Having only stayed at the Grand Mayan, I can't answer the phone question. But as far as taking a cooler to the beach, I take a small soft side/6-pack cooler, and put it in a beach bag around the pool. The only problem I have had is with the security guards who guard the exterior of the pool area. I have never had any of the waiters say anything. We usually take the large insulated mugs "Bubba Kegs", for mixed drinks, pop, etc. Just follow the old rule "out of sight, out of mind"!

As far as restaurants, there are at least 6 just outside the Sea Garden-which you can check out the reviews for (Eddie's, 8 tostadas, Quiote Tapas, Prime, Estudio Cafe, Guido's, and others). I don't think you can go wrong, most have menu's outside to see before you are seated. Also within a couple dollar cab ride are many others, I would definitely recommend La Laguna (we actually walk-it's about 1 mile, or $3 cab ride), and Fajita Republic (have to take a cab, about $5 one way).

We usually go up to Bucerias once during the trip, and eat at Aduato's. We have the concierge desk call and make reservations for sunset/outside seating. You are literally seated at a tiki hut, feet in the sand, 10 feet from the waves. After eating, we walk into the town square, where there are some shops. I think a taxi is about $10 from the Grand Mayan. If you have a large group, a van charges double the standard taxi rate, but holds 8-10 people.

We only go into Puerto Vallarta once also during the trip. 1st stop is the Cheeky Monkey on the malecon, for $1 margaritas at sunset. Then walk up to Pipi's for Guacamole made at your table, Flaming Fajita's, and Margarita's as big as you head. Then walk back to the Malecon for shopping, sight seeing, dancing, etc. One way taxi is $15-20.

Enjoy your trip.

2. Re: Mayan Sea Garden & Grand Mayan for Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2011, 05:16