We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cleaning staff and maids .........

alberta
Level Contributor
126 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
cleaning staff and maids .........

I am going to try and elighten a few people about security in Hotels (major Chains )...the rules for cleaning staff in, lets say the Four Seasons , is simply this.when the maid is in a room cleaning. The door to that room must be closed/locked at all times, this is to prevent anyone walking by that room to help themselves to what ever they find worth takeing...if something is missing from that room and she/he has followed the rule, then she is held responsable for that loss.simple but effective.........gooblywook

Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
368 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cleaning staff and maids .........

Nice rule, wish they all followed that. We always lock our valuables in the safe, plus we bring high end suitcase locks and lock up our suitcases when we are out of the room. We are aware that no maid will risk her job by stealing our stuff, but we do know that guests can enter our room when the door is open and being cleaned. At the Riu Palace last week I went up to my room, and was let in by a staff member who was refilling our fridge. I had my key card in my hand when he opened the door to leave, but he didn't know for sure that it was my room.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cleaning staff and maids .........

I always see the door wide open when the maids are cleaning rooms when in Mexico. Not sure they follow that rule, at least in the hotels I've been to. We even had one maid forget to close the door after cleaning our room once (years ago) but thankfully no one went in and took anything. It's not the maids I worry about stealing things it's other guests. Hopefully they watch things when they are cleaning, but use the safe just in case.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cleaning staff and maids .........

i don't recall anyone asking to be "enlightened" LOL especially since it seems what has been posted is contrary to what is experienced at most resorts. as a seasoned and frequent traveller we usually find the door ajar when maids are cleaning. basic rule for OVERALL security whether or not maids are cleaning is IF YOU ARE NOT IN YOUR ROOM LOCK AWAY YOUR VALUABLES! you are ultimately responsible for your own possessions! jmo

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,969 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cleaning staff and maids .........

I agree , that rule is NOT the norm.

Can't count the times, I have gone to my room, to find the door open, in Lots of resorts.

One time maid was down the hall chatting. another time maid was in bath cleaning tub.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cleaning staff and maids .........

I usually see the maid cleaning, but the door is blocked by the cleaning cart. I've never seen the door closed - meaning coming back to my room with the door closed and the maid inside.

6. Re: cleaning staff and maids .........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2011, 06:17