We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washing of fruit and vegetables

Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Topic
Washing of fruit and vegetables

we will be staying at Green Bay, El Tigre Golf Resort, can we wash fruits and vegetables using only tap water

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washing of fruit and vegetables

IMO, you can use tap water for washing fruits and veggies here and it is safe. I do it on a daily basis and have NEVER had any issues with it. After I wash my fruits, I do towel dry them also.

Have a great trip!

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,795 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washing of fruit and vegetables

I had heard that PV's excellent water filtration system doesn't reach all the way out of the city to places like Bucerias, so I've always used purified water for washing produce. (Maybe I'll quit doing that now and I'll be able to save some money on the bottled water that I buy.)

Van. Island B.C
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Washing of fruit and vegetables

We rented a home last year in Bucerias for one month and just used the tap water for veggies etc........at first we were a little reluctant but the home owners said they have been doing this for a few yrs now so...??? anyway, we will be doing the same again in about 2 wks...can't wait to wash some veggies in Bucerias!!!...LOL

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
793 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washing of fruit and vegetables

Hi laurcuss,

My wife and I wash all our fruit and veggies before we eat them no matter whether we get them in Canada, USA, or Mexico. It's just a little precaution we take. Probably a product of our upbringing. We use a solution of baking soda and vineger mixed with water to clean the produce and rinse it off with bottled water. We've done this for years and have never gotten sick so for what it's worth....................

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,590 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washing of fruit and vegetables

Me too, Kman....I wash them with soap and water here at home too.

If we stay in a condo and make some meals, wherever we go in Mexico, we always buy a bottle of that iodine solution called Microdyne- it is usually available in the fruit and veg section of the larger grocery stores in Mexico. You put a few drops in a sink full of tap water and voila- purified. Actually, most condos we have stayed in have a bottle under the sink already. :)

If nothing else, you can rinse your lettuce and unpeelable fruits in bottled water, just to be safe....better safe than sorry! Especially if you have a sensitive tummy.

More importantly, stay hydrated, and wash wash wash your hands frequently, and if there is no soap in the restaurant bathroom where you are about to eat- run away fast.

Edited: 04 January 2011, 17:56
Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washing of fruit and vegetables

elenamex,

Give it a try. Once you do, you will save $$$ on not having to buy so much purified water. Let me know how it works for you ok?

toronto
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Washing of fruit and vegetables

We too have always soaked our fruits and vegs in a solution of tap water and a few drops of microdyn...we've also been told to be especially careful with lettuce and strawberries - something about them growing so close to the ground??? Not sure if that's a myth but we don't buy strawberries (very hard to pass them up!!) and wash, wash, wash the lettuce!

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Washing of fruit and vegetables

I wash produce with tap water, but do use the Microdyne on lettuce, celery and strawberries. Things grown on or very close to the ground are more susceptible to micro-organisms.

The Bucerias water system is not affiliated or connected to the Puerto Vallarta system in any way.

canada
Level Contributor
423 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Washing of fruit and vegetables

Would love to spend a month in Bucerias. My husband retires in 5 years, and look forward to spending time in the area. We have stayed at the Riu Jalisco for a week at a time for the last 2 years (highschool teacher) so only get primetime holidays off. But love the area. Can you give us some tips where to check out a months' holiday. Want to avoid the "timeshare thing", just would love to rent a nice property with decent prices for a month or two.(winter months). Any advice??

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Washing of fruit and vegetables

Amazing...I have never washed a fruit or vegetable in my entire life of traveling the globe. I eat what they eat.

How did I make it to 63?

Miguel