We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace or Barcelo PV?

Lakewood, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Palace or Barcelo PV?

We are looking at both resorts, and having never stayed at an all-inclusive, wondered what the thoughts are out there from all you travelers.

Thanks for the help!

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
541 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Palace or Barcelo PV?

Hello - I have not stayed at either, but have stayed at Riu Palace in Cancun and two different Barcelo resorts in the Riveria Maya and Manzanillo and prefer the Barcelo brand to the Riu - largely as I thought the food at both Barcelo's we stayed at was much better. Just thought I would share that! :) Good luck with your decision.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,862 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Palace or Barcelo PV?

Have not stayed at either but can share this.

Barcelo is an older (at least 25 years) property and is located in Mismaloya about 20 minutes south of downtown PV.

RIU Palace is newer (around 2 years) and is located in Nuevo about 30 minutes north of downtown PV.

Barcelo has a very small beach and the RIU is located on a long stretch of beach that you can walk for miles in either direction.

Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,433 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Palace or Barcelo PV?

can't go wrong with the Riu Palace... Reviews are Fantastic... Stay at one play at 3., other Rius are the Jalisco, about 3 blocks away,and Vallarta next door.

No Disco at the Palace to you have to go to J or V if you want to Disco.

St. louis MO
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Palace or Barcelo PV?

We have not stayed at Barcelo, but we HAVE stayed at Riu Palace... and are going back in a few weeks for our second stay and cannot say enough good things about this place! We've stayed at Riu Palace, Vallarta Palace, Marival, Paradise Village and Golden Crown. In our opinion this is the best place. The service is excellent, the entire property is always clean, the food is good, top shelf liquor, stocked fridge in the room, turn down service, 24 h room service.. I could go on and on.. You won't go wrong with a reservation at the Riu Palace.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
714 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Palace or Barcelo PV?

We stayed at the Barcelo several years ago and loved it. Since then, they have remodeled all the rooms. Have also stayed at multiple resorts in Nuevo, including the RIU's. If this is your first time at an AI.. RIU Palace Pacifico will not disappoint. The Barcelo is in a remote area, with a small limited beach, has spectacular views and waterfall pools (one is heated). It sits at the base of the mountain range. Glad we stayed in Mismaloya.. but Nuevo is hard to beat. Long, sandy beaches and RIU Palace level is top-notch. Depends on what you're looking for. I'd recommend RIU.. at least the first time!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
710 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Palace or Barcelo PV?

We've been to both, Palace three times, tried Barcelo last trip in Dec, was nice but I'd pick Palace in a heart beat, and no bugs! Nice to be able to visit the other two RIU's just a short walk away. We'll be back to the Palace next trip! have fun

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Palace or Barcelo PV?

We were booked for the Barcelo for a trip in March. We changed to the Riu Vallarta this week due to the reviews. Nearly every review over the last week or more have said that members of their party have become sick staying at the Barcelo. Some stating that people were hospitalized or having ecoli reported by their doctor at home!

The hotel looks beautiful. the service seemed top notch and we were sad to lose our 2 room suite, but I'm not taking any chances of my family getting sick on or after a vacation!

8. Re: Riu Palace or Barcelo PV?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2012, 18:16
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now