We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
620 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

Starting a new thread with a post from another.....

We were staying in the MP for two weeks in January when the fence went up. I think Curt it was me who wrote on the Yahoo MP site that we went to dinner at 8 Tostadas and returned to find the fence (actually they tried at the SG to get us to pay to take a van back). We walked and went through the employee entrance, but it was a one shot deal. The next 2 nights, we walked the beach at night to go to dinner. Very dark and not an easy walk. The next 2 nights after that we took the golf type cart to the main entrance and walked to dinner across the bridge and returned the same way. I preferred the beach, my wife preferred the cart and road. It is dangerous, no sidewalks at the beginning when they drop you off, with cars and cabs coming and going through the main entrance. The walk is longer, not well lit and there are hazards like holes and slopes. I don't drink too much at dinner, but I can see someone falling down the unprotected slopes going over the bridge.

I went to look at the fence in the daytime. They bulldozed large mounds of dirt along the fence line and there is no way around it...I tried. Since all the parking in the future will be way out in a separate entrance off the main highway, they will not need that large parking garage. We were told it would become an office facility, but it's anyone's guess. Even before the fence went up, there were large berms put up along the parking garage with the beginning of trees and other plantings being put in. A large corrugated passageway is already going through the berm for workers and/or carts to travel through.

The biggest nonsense was the reason for the fence being thefts occurring at the Grand Mayan. NOBODY checked us when we took the beach route at night, so much for that reason. We walked right through the GM pool area and into the lobby. You could also walk, there being the sidewalk beginning at the GM to the GB, MP etc with no checks.

Senor Chavez, we were told, wants the whole complex to be like Disney World, where carts and boats, etc take you around, no cars, no buses. Can you imagine check in and out days when your luggage doesn't get to the right location...ugh. To get offsite, you would have to take their transportation to the highway, and then....??

BTW, plenty of people were still leaving to go eat offsite. Some by taxis, some by cart, then walking the road.

Mentioned in this post
The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta
The Grand Mayan Nuevo...
3,919 Reviews
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Fort Wayne, IN
Level Contributor
218 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

I can only echo your comments. We were there 1/28 thru 2/8, and the official word we got was that there was a vital construction project that required closing the street, but that it was only temporary. The unofficial word (and what I mostly believe) was that the Mayan properties were tired of their guest's $ walking off property. So they closed the loophole.

About your comments on the new parking lot. We were told the new entrance, off the highway/along the river, would only be for the Grand Luxxe. The current entrance would still be used for the other properties. We haven't heard anything about the parking garage going away. They will still need parking spaces for all the timeshare salespeople, and valet parking for GM, GB, and MP. But who knows what the final master plan looks like!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,148 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

I hope people will continue to post whatever information they have (I love it when there are two versions"of the *why*: "official" and underground).

This seems so sad. When staying at the Sea Garden recently (pre-fence) I ran into several folks from the Grand Mayan --- either walking to the restaurants or to the bus stop for the free tourist trolley or the bus into PV. Not being there now, I don't know how much those people's walks would be disturbed but it sounds like it is cramping people's style(s).

Grupo Mayan put out a missive recently that they would allow booking a Mayan more often than the 1:5 Rule so I'd thought about going to the Grand Mayan later this year. Uh ---- nope. Not now.

Mentioned in this post
Sea Garden Nuevo Vallarta
712 Reviews
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
The Grand Mayan Nuevo...
3,919 Reviews
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
620 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

Besides the cart ride to the front gate, the walk to the marina restaurants is approximately twice the distance than the walk was from the GM past the Sea Garden.

An unnecessary cart ride to the front entrance, dropped off in the dark in vehicular traffic coming and going, and twice the distance to walk to the restaurants. There was no reason to block us walking the original route in the first place, except to prevent off site restaurants getting our business.

I love the Mayan ownership I have, but this is unacceptable.

Mentioned in this post
712 Reviews
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Mexico
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

Dear Readers,

We are please to find your comments about this issue. As you may know, we often monitor blogs in an extra effort to satisfy any customer.

Allow me to share with you all that the work on the North Gate and other areas in the Nuevo Vallarta development are part of the company´s ongoing commitment to providing first class facilities for our members and guests.

Additionally, some guests complained about speeding vehicles in those streets, so it was decided to close it for now to have one main entrance and exit to the resorts.

Rest assured there is a shuttle service available every 10 minutes between the Grand Mayan lobby and the Puerta del Sol main entrance from 7am to 11pm and upon request outside of this schedule.

Moreover, we are making sure to share your comments with the resort’s management; and indeed, your suggestions will be taken into consideration, as it will help us jointly make decisions for future projects and possibly, the access may be reopened in the future.

Should you all have any further queries, kindly share them with us at customerservice@grupomayan.com or by telephone at 1-800-292-9446. Your input will assist us to provide quality service to all of our honored members.

We thank you for your understanding in this matter and for your time.

Sincerely,

Karen Rose

Customer Support Representative.

Mentioned in this post
The Grand Mayan Nuevo...
3,919 Reviews
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

Thanks for the input, Karen. Unfortunately, there is nothing in your "explanation" that directly addresses why the pedestrian access was eliminated. Your vague reference to complaints of speeding vehicles doesn't justify closing this route - in fact, forcing guests to make their way to the marina area via unlit streets with no sidewalks doesn't exactly convey a sense of concern for their safety.

It would be helpful if you could explain in more detail how closing a pedestrian access that is popular with your guests fits in with your "ongoing commitment to providing first class facilities for our members and guests."

I look forward to a more meaningful reply with valid rationalizations for the closure.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
620 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

OT_bound

Way to go, great response!!

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

Karen,

I agree with the many poster who said they would appreciate a pedestrian access through to the Sea Garden area. Seems that the Mayan is isolating the SeaGarden from the rest of the complex.

A cart ride to the front gate seems less than helpful, are cart rides availabvle to the Sea Garden area?

Speeding traffic could be controlled by topes, or access gates.

Mentioned in this post
712 Reviews
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

We arrived on the day the fence went up and watched construction and the absolute mess around the entrance to the Grand Mayan for four weeks. Nobody at the Company or the lame excuse by Karen was able to satisfy anyone. If construction is required why in the highest season?

The street to the Sea Garden has a very good sidewalk and the access to that sidewalk t could have easily been kept open. Protecting customers from speeding cars is the lamest excuse I have yet heard. The long walk on bad pavement was much more dangerous and much longer. As others have said they want to keep people in to pay their exorbitant prices for mediocre food and drinks. I suspect the sales department had their hands in this trying to prevent people from beingtaken to other resorts timeshare presentations. The pressures and lies by the Mayan sales staff are unique!

Closing the road resulted in tremendous inconvenience to guests and congestion at the Grand Mayan with only taxis benefitting..

Unhappy guest

Mentioned in this post
The Grand Mayan Nuevo...
3,919 Reviews
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
712 Reviews
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
620 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

Karen Rose,

What have the Grupo Mayan (Vidanta) management been saying about the responses here and on other sites, as well as guests at Nuevo Vallarta?

Calgary
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

I too have found that the elimination of the sidewalks around the Grand Mayan is a pain. I stay in one of the condominiums on the property and right now with the golf course still under construction one can walk along the cart paths to get to and from the Grand Mayan. Apparently the owner of the place does not follow trip advisor and seems to think that if he makes access more difficult people will stay. He does not realize that many people like to walk for exercise and for pleasure. Being a Canadian, I love to be able to walk in shorts and flip flops when I am down there rather than parka and boots in piles of ice and snow at home. Unfortunately for him, people just get more irritated and will avoid the place, wonderful as it is.

Mentioned in this post
The Grand Mayan Nuevo...
3,919 Reviews
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico