We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need your input on leaving the resort.....safe?

United States
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need your input on leaving the resort.....safe?

We leave tomorrow and wouldn't you know it, people are telling us now that we are crazy for going to MX due to the "drug wars".

I've been telling people that I've been all over these forums and nobody seems too concerned as long as we don't venture off.

We are still going in the morning but my family and I need reassurance that we can leave the resorts to do tours.

Input please! Thanks! =)

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need your input on leaving the resort.....safe?

Don't let the worry warts at home ruin your vacation. You are safe here as long as you use the same common sense that you do back home. I live here full time and feel safer here than I do back where I'm from.

Have a great trip!

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,448 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need your input on leaving the resort.....safe?

I feel safer in Nuevo then I do most cities in The States and in Canada......Use common sense just as you would anywhere and you should have a very enjoyable vacation :)

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need your input on leaving the resort.....safe?

Your leaving tomorrow and just bringing up your concerns now?

If you do your homework and read the threads on the forum before you go you would know how things are.

We just returned from two weeks from Vila Magna and went to P.V. twice and Bucerias Once and had a great time.

No problems seen or talked about from the cabbies.

United States
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need your input on leaving the resort.....safe?

Thanks for replies.

Yes I'm leaving tomorrow. I have done my research and wasn't at all concerned until last night when several people voiced their concerns to us. But believe me, I've been all over these forums and more, learning. Sometimes it just nice to have a little more reassurance to those who know the area.

Anyway we are headed out tomorrow and looking forward to being there.

Thanks again for the replies.

Mexico here we come!

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,975 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need your input on leaving the resort.....safe?

rntmo95.....venture out on your tours etc...enjoy and have fun.................

P.S. I just returned from 2 weeks in PV, driving thru NV etc.................fear can be crippling....................

United States
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need your input on leaving the resort.....safe?

bezerk~ Thank you so much, I appreciate your reply. We are looking forward to it and will venture out on our tours!

Ontario's Near...
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need your input on leaving the resort.....safe?

We often get the same reaction from people who have never been to Mexico . The biggest area of concern is the northern border shared with the States , Nuevo is very far away from there, it's like being afraid to go to San Fransisco because someone got shot in New York City . Keep your common sense about you and you will be just fine.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need your input on leaving the resort.....safe?

It's very safe. Don't worry. You'll be laughing about your frieds comments in no time!

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
511 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need your input on leaving the resort.....safe?

Completey safe! We stayed at the Marival last week. Every morning I went for a run off the resort at around 7-7:30 and had no worries or fears. The location by the Marival is all resorts, condos and nicer homes and some businesses, office complexes and a small mall. Lots of people out and about walking, working etc. My family also walked from the Paradise Village Pier back to our hotel (about 1.5 miles) after boat trip one day. We would not have done that with kids if we didn't feel safe. We also went by taxi to PV one night. The drug wars are primarily on the border towns.

Go enjoy and don't worry - be happy, you will be in Mexico!

Kim

Swift Current, Sask
Level Contributor
118 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need your input on leaving the resort.....safe?

We just returned from our 4th trip to PV and have always felt safe. Every second year we stay at Rancho Banderas north of Bucerias and fell safe there as well. Travel safe and have fun. Already booked for next Jan 27th. Let the count down begin.