We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Security Gate at Grand Mayan Employee Street Entrance

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
New Security Gate at Grand Mayan Employee Street Entrance

I have just returned from Grand Luxxe property. The new road/sidewalk and security gate house has been finished which is beside the Sun Market and employee building at the Grand Mayan Property.

There is a removable sign on the sidewalk that it is not for pedistran use.

We used the sidewalk almost everyday. We would go to the Sun Market, buy a cappacino and walk on by. The security guard always told us that we could not use the sidewalk. My reply, I have a bracelet on that allows me access to the property including the Sea Garden at the end of the street. The Mayan Group has built a sidewalk and a security entrance. Check my bracelt and here is my room number and name. If you want to have a manager visit me tonight to discuss that is fine....I would them wish then a nice day and continue walking. It was repeated on the return walk.

We never did have a Manager come and talk to us. We are allowed access to the property. I will walk on the sidewalk, not on the road for the all of a few hundred feet that they are kevetching about - then it becomes public roadways. So have a manager come and talk to me.

If we keep pushing they will eventually back down.

The last day we went through the security guard got fed up and just waved at us.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Security Gate at Grand Mayan Employee Street Entrance

<<If we keep pushing they will eventually back down>>

That is not traditionally how responses cme about in Mexico. Probably it is more likely that a heavier-duty gate will be installed so you can't just walk through!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Security Gate at Grand Mayan Employee Street Entrance

I doubt they will put a heavy gate in as it is used for car traffic and taxis. Also they have sidewalks built on both sides.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Security Gate at Grand Mayan Employee Street Entrance

I've seen the gate. They could gate off the sidewalks with turnstyle type gates, if they wanted.

My point was more that the things that we feel might be effective in the US often do not work here at all.

"If we keep pushing it they will back down." The backing down would be a very atypical Mexican response. People are bypassing our security, we need to beef it up, would be more typical.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Security Gate at Grand Mayan Employee Street Entrance

I don't want to get into an arguement with you - but the point is that we are actually not bypassing the security - we are showing our wrist bands and willing to give our room number. It is 105ft of sidewalk. I have paid a huge amount of money to walk on the property that includes the Sea Garden which is down the road.

So I'll keep on walking.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Security Gate at Grand Mayan Employee Street Entrance

They really ought to make that a guest entrance/exit for pedestrians.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Security Gate at Grand Mayan Employee Street Entrance

That's what I'm saying too so we are on the same page. I think it will happen with a bit of push from guests....kind polite pushes mind you.

They used to drive us crazy about wearing shirts in the pool - which we wear for extra sun protection in the water as not many shady spots to swim - and they are finally relaxingon that issue.

Fort Wayne, IN
Level Contributor
217 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Security Gate at Grand Mayan Employee Street Entrance

Thanks Holakat for sticking it to the man! Hopefully more like you will make a common sense appeal onsite, and then maybe Mayan will realize how ridiculous they are being.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Security Gate at Grand Mayan Employee Street Entrance

Please remember that the security guard has NO authority to say "sure you can go through".

In general (I don't know anyone who works at the Mayan but most everywhere else this is true) lower level employees have NO freedon to make any decisions, and will in fact often get in trouble if they try to do something outside of the rules.

That aplies at places like banks, grocery stores, etc, too. So if an employee tells you they can't do something, if you get upset or even push it and break the rules right in front of them, what it does is make them very uncomfortable because they are just stuck.

Please continue also to express your comments directly to the Mayan management that you would certainly like to continue enjoying ALL of their beautiful facilities on both sides of that gate.

And be nice to the guards :) as it sounds like Holacat was.

Edited: 18 May 2011, 16:12
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Security Gate at Grand Mayan Employee Street Entrance

Most definately I agree that it isn't any good to yell and scream and stamp your feet....hence why I always give my name, room number and say have a nice day. Not the guards fault that management sometimes makes bad decisions.

I have written to Mayan Management, no answer as of yet.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
620 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Security Gate at Grand Mayan Employee Street Entrance

Holakat,

You are my new hero!! I have been fighting this blockage since we got caught in it the night it went up in January.