We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar rental, Malecon

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
3 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Dollar rental, Malecon

There had been some poor reviews on Dollar Rental so I was a little scared when we booked 2 cars with Dollar Rental because it was the cheapest price. But after using Dollar rental I was happy with our experience. One downside was after their van took us to the rental office, it took us over an hour to check in, sign paperwork and finally drive off. They try to have you pay for more insurance but we declined. They make you put down a 5000 deposit from a credit card just in case something happens but at the time you return the car, they tear up the credit card slip. The car we got was a full size and overall pretty clean. the brakes were pretty terrible and squeaked. What i was prepared to pay is what i paid and didnt get any extra charges. Maybe I was preparing for the worst and thats why it was ok.

A word about the Malecon. I had read it was a place to visit but after going, it was nothing special. its like a small boardwalk or like 3rd street in Santa Monica, CA. Theres a few gift shops, some beach side restaurants that charge too much just cause its on the beach. Some ice cream shops and A LOT of people selling you junk. One guy even asked if we wanted his expensive junk. that made us laugh. The water is brown next to the malecon. Wouldnt go back.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,518 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollar rental, Malecon

The malecon is actually under construction renovations right now. Depending on when your trip was, you possibly didn't get the "full feel" of what is usually is. It should be re-opened soon. (I hope before high season anyhow).

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollar rental, Malecon

It is supposed to be done for the Games next month. Didn't spend any time in PV or walking the Malecon in May due to construction...only passed through on our way back from the Botanical Gardens and El Tuito. Really looking forward to leisurely strolling the Malecon again in November and seeing all the sand sculptures and hoping the statues are back in place as well. Loved the stonework in the concrete that is being done. Someone on the PV forum posted pictures.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollar rental, Malecon

I suggest the OP return on a Saturday or Sunday night once it is finished, I think they might change their opinion, then again maybe not.

Personally I can't wait to see the new one this winter.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,928 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollar rental, Malecon

Thanks for posting on the TripAdvisor!

I'm curious. The mandatory Mexican auto insurance is not often included in the low rental prices that are quoted when you reserve your car. Are you saying that the agency tried to get you to take insurance that was over and above the mandatory coverage? If so, I would have declined it, too.

5. Re: Dollar rental, Malecon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 20:16