We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Nuevo Vallarta

Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Medford, Oregon
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Nuevo Vallarta

My husband and I have a trip to Nuevo Vallarta scheduled for Nov. 6-13 (at the Mayan Sea Garden)....friends are expressing horror that we're going there despite the travel warnings, shootings, beheadings, etc. We were in Cabo in March and felt perfectly safe. We have been to PV many times and have never felt threatened, but all the warnings have me a little spooked!

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Nuevo Vallarta

rest assured nuevo vallarta is far removed from the issues your friends are worried about. some areas of mexico are having issues but they are not in this area. no place is utopia and always use common sense but advising not to travel to nuevo or puerto vallarta (and immediate surrounding areas) is like saying you shouldn't leave your home because of issues in san francisco, ca.

Alberta
Level Contributor
325 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Nuevo Vallarta

Just as safe as anywhere else, use common sense and enjoy your vacation!

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Nuevo Vallarta

The real horror is what your friends will experience when they look at your pictures. Take lots and be sure to email them updates while they sit in the wet and cold at home.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Nuevo Vallarta

Your "friends" have unfortunately succumbed to the image of Mexico that currently dominates U.S. media, which is based on sensationalistic reports that make no attempt to differentiate between the areas in Mexico that do have problems, and those that don't.

You have nothing to worry about. The Vallarta area is of course not immune to "events" (in the same way your home city/town is not), but Vallarta is located a long way from the parts of Mexico that have been problematic. Statistically speaking, you will be very safe.

The Mayan is a gated resort that's located within a controlled area (Nuevo Vallarta), so I wouldn't lose any sleep over staying there. Having said that, I would also encourage you to get off the resort a little bit - whether its into Puerto Vallarta, Bucerias, or Sayulita, I think you'll find them all to be both interesting and relaxing.

Have a read through the following links for recent discussion on safety in the Vallarta area:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k354287…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k457620…

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Nuevo Vallarta

Do your friends sound something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pzb3dIazGc

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
203 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Nuevo Vallarta

Teduardo, that was just too funny!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Nuevo Vallarta

Nice find, Teduardo!

That's right up there with the "But I'm a Diamond Member" check-in video!!

Miguel

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
620 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Nuevo Vallarta

While at the Sea Garden, be sure to try some of the restaurants that are a 5 minute walk or less from where you are staying. There are Eddie's, Guido's, Prime 159, Portobello and 8 Tostadas to try. Safety walking to them should not be a concern.

You can also take a cheap cab ride to Paradise Village mall, which has more dining choices and a decent sized supermarket.

Enjoy!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
620 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Nuevo Vallarta

Just watched Ted's video link...very funny!

Saw one by the same people on working at a golf course, which I do part time, and it too was so true and hilarious.

Medford, Oregon
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety in Nuevo Vallarta

Thanks for all your replies and assurances! Now I'm wondering if it's going to stop T-storming before we get there!!!! :-)

Does anyone know if the Sea Garden has wi-fi??? I'm wondering if I should take my laptop along......but I hate carting it around and I don't know if it'll be safe in the condo!