We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Jalisco vs. Vallarta

upstate NY
Level Contributor
476 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Jalisco vs. Vallarta

We are heading to PV for the last week in Feb. We are in our 50s with no kids. Our priorities are beach and food. We prefer quiet and relaxation. Both these Riu hotels seemed like a good value as they were far less expensive then others for that week, about $160 a night. Which would you recommend for us and why?

Thanks for your help

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
433 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Jalisco vs. Vallarta

We've been to both. Riu Jalisco had more children, but they have a separate children's pool. There is a disco on the property and we thought there was more of a party atmosphere. The adult pool was crowded with lots of shade. Riu Vallarta also had children, but felt a bit more upscale. Take a look at the pictures for both so you can get the feel of each resort. Both offer the nationals discounts on weekend stays so both resorts tend to get crowded. My choice would be Riu Vallarta, if I had to choose between the two resorts. We also liked to food better at Riu Vallarta. It seemed that the buffets at Jalisco were overrun with children, especially on weekends. You may want to check out Samba Vallarta, it is nearby and appears to have a quieter atmosphere. We haven't stayed there, but have considered it in the past as it gets good reviews. As they are all in the same area, the beach is similar. The sand is compact and good for long walks. Both Rius have lots of beach chairs.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Jalisco vs. Vallarta

I have simular priorities, beach and food, and I would not return to the RIU Vallarta. The food was just ok, the beach great, but it wasn't quiet and relaxing. I had a good time, but next time I'll go back to Paradise Village on the AI plan, or the Marival.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Jalisco vs. Vallarta

Don`t know about the Vallarta, but just back from the Jalisco (Dec 11). That hotel is NOT QUITE. Over run with screaming kids, smokers and drunks!!!

We were there last year and enjoyed it so much could hardly wait to go back. Completeley different atmosphere this year. . Food ok, but cooks could not keep up to tthe demand. Always waiting for hot food. Beautiful beach. but never seem to clean beach lounges. Covered with bird droppings!

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,165 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Jalisco vs. Vallarta

Just returned from our 4th.stay in 3 years. to the Riu Vallarta.

Pick the Vallarta or the Riu Palace, to avoid the kids.

My review should be posted soon. Feel free to ask any question.

Both have installed Bird nets around buffets... and are improving on them, because the sneeky birds (Nature??) are getting in still, but not as Bad. PLUS they installed Plastic covers for the food on the buffets, that are Outside. so that is a HUGH plus.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Jalisco vs. Vallarta

RIU birds were terrible! The nets were put up, but the ends of the buffet were open, so the birds were a problem. The chairs were full of bird crap, I had to rinse clothes after eating at the lunch buffet and dinner steakhouse. We also had terrible line-ups at the buffets. I actually ate some of my meals alone as one of us were stuck in a line-up. This happened at Christmas dinner, I returned with my turkey (it was good) and my BF was almost finished his dinner. We made the mistake of not lining up together, but we do prefer different foods. I don't see how they can call themselves a 5 star...

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,165 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Jalisco vs. Vallarta

snorkler: told you Not to go at Xmas Time..LoL.

canada
Level Contributor
432 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Jalisco vs. Vallarta

Jo Lee, do you think New Years Eve will be bad with kids and such???? Have you been over New Years. Buffets etc??? Jus wondering???

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,165 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Jalisco vs. Vallarta

not sure Jubey ,,but I think so. more so at the Jalisco. but I'm pretty sure the Vallarta will be full too as it a weekend.....

have you read back One year ago in the reviews? that helps sometimes..lol

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Jalisco vs. Vallarta

I found kids to be the least of worries, they were happy and not a bother at all. I know JoLee, Christmas is busy, I've been travelling to Mexico at Christmas for the last 11 years in a row! But I found this hotel to be especially crazy busy as if they had a lot of day pass people in or something. It was a good trip, I did enjoy it, but found meal time to be just an opportunity to be fed, not a time to relax, it wasn't my favorite part of the day. The dinner at the Steakhouse was good, the Sir George was terrible, we left the meal partly finished and went to the buffet - probably ordered the wrong thing. Sunset cocktails before dinner every night was great! Walking after dinner, over to the Jalisco was aslo a great way to spend the after-dinner time. I enjoyed a couple of the shows, walked to Bucerias, went into town, etc. I just won't return to the RIU in a hurry at peak season. I'd like to try it again, maybe after I retire, in April.

canada
Level Contributor
432 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Jalisco vs. Vallarta

will do, Jolee , thx for the advice......