We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm panicking.

Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria B.C.
Level Contributor
260 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
I'm panicking.

I'm really in a panic as we are leaving for The Occidental Grand on Jan.21. The reviews have been awful and we are very upset. Any news from anyone would help.Thanks.

Nervous Lualady

red lake
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm panicking.

I've always read the negative comments on places we're going to and its always turned out fine for us. Its almost better not to go on there and read these but I do too. I just sent an email to our reservation guy at OG so will let you know what he has to say. Some of these reports are very little issues that I wouldn't let ruin my vacation. I guess its all in what you're expecting but everyone is different. Relax ! I'm sure it'll be fine :)

Kamloops, BC, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm panicking.

I agree with redlakeontario. We've stayed at all the RUI properties in Nuevo Vallarta and some of their reviews are very bad and I could not disagree more with them. I'm arriving on Sunday at the Occidental and will ensure everything is in working order before our bellman leaves our room. I think it will be fine too. :)

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
803 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm panicking.

I'm always amazed and perplexed by how different people's opinions can be about the same place, be it restaurant, resort, whatever. One review will be glowing and the next, during the same time frame, will be scathing. For example, nearly everyone loves the Rhythms of the Night, but I did not enjoy it at all. No need to comment, I've already been beaten up about this! :)

Hopefully you will love your resort. Perhaps send an email to them telling them you're concerned about the recent reviews. Can't hurt. Good luck.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,931 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm panicking.

Worst case in a resort that doesn't work out well is use it as a hotel and get out for exploration and as many meals as suits. Heck, that applies to any A.I.

Regina...
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm panicking.

Just read this review.from January 2nd... sounds great. We arrive at the OG Feb 3 and look forward to everything in working order ( we hope).Not our first time going to a newly renovated resort... good way to get in when the pricing is low..

Review read:

Arrived to a quick check in and had a great week. The resort was new and was fabulous. Beds were so comfortable, bathroom was spa like, pool was very nice and the beach was a 10.Airconditioning was in great working condition. The food was very good with so much variety. The service was top of the line. The houskeeping was very good and efficient. The wait staff were were very attentive without being bothersome. The bar staff were the best from someone that only had 10-12 drinks throughout the week. Eddie, JuanJose, and Omar couldn't do enough for you. They were professional and sociable making you feel very important and pleased to serve you. We were worried about going to a resort that just opened but there was no problems. Definately not a party place that can get out of control which is a good thing. We travelled with Thomas Cook Ailines and never again!!!!!!!!!! Flights were delayed there and back with not even an excuse.

red lake
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm panicking.

thats what we do ! as long as room is clean and booze is free I'm a happy camper :)

DR9
Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm panicking.

The opening rates i'm guessing aren't for the Royal Club. Is it safe to assume its the old rooms that have been refurbished?

Victoria B.C.
Level Contributor
260 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm panicking.

The Luaulady is most relieved. Thanks everyone, we are not picky so I'm sure it will be okay.You are right, the resort sounds lovely and I'm sure the bugs will be worked out. It was the noise issue that concerned me most but hopefully all that will be adressed. I am going to e-mail the resort as well. Thanks again, I'm looking forward to some sun. It is mild here in Victoria but very grey and dreary.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,803 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm panicking.

1. I wouldn't pay too much attention to really bad (or overly gushing) reviews. Sometimes the bad ones were actually written by competitors or by disgruntled ex-employees and the fabulous ones are often written by current employees or management staff members.

2. I think people who are chronic complainers are much more motivated to write scathing reviews than the average satisfied hotel or restaurant customer.

3. I don't put too much stock in reviews that are more than 6 months old. There can be changes in ownership, management and staff members that have taken place since the old reviews were written.

4. Different strokes for different folks. Our own perceptions color everything. I know there are many loyal fans of the PV Zoo, but when I went to it for the first time last spring, I thought it cool to feed some of the animals, but otherwise, it was pretty much a waste of a nice afternoon.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm panicking.

I agree redlaker.................