We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu vs. Samba and distance to PV

Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Riu vs. Samba and distance to PV

Hey guys,

I'm going to be traveling to PV with my girlfriend in May and we are trying to decide on which AI resort to stay at. There are about 4 or 5 we are considering, two of which are in Nuevo Vallarta. The two we are considering are Riu Jalisco and Samba Vallarta...

For those of you that have seen one/both, which do you recomend? They are virtually the same exact price. We want to do AI so I hope that the food is pretty good and the drinks are flowing. I would rank my factors as 1- food 2- pool 3- beach. Which should we go for?

Also, how far exactly is Nuevo Vallarta from PV? How far is it from the other town to the north? How far from the airport?

I was interested in the Royal Decameron but it appears to be booked... bummer... which of these two is better?

1. Re: Riu vs. Samba and distance to PV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2006, 22:06
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu vs. Samba and distance to PV

Is RIU Jalisco the same as RIU next to Samba? I stayed in Samba last November and there is RIU there next door, but this is a state of NAYARIT not Jalisco. The Jalisco is where the PV is and they even have different time zone. Isn't the other RIU there?

RIU in Nayarit is very big and much more impressive than small Samba next door. Depends what you like.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu vs. Samba and distance to PV

Sorry for the confusion. I checked on the Net and it seems thaat there is only one RIU Jalisco, but not in state of Jalisco but in Nayarit.

Well, I guess that they had a reason to name it that way and confuse people. I would pick RIU if the prices are the same. At the time of my booking they were much higher than Samba, which is a typical 3 star resort.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu vs. Samba and distance to PV

I would say it depends on what you like. I stayed at the Samba March 5 to March 13 and I loved it. I don't know about the Riu's food but at the Samba I could always find something to eat and I am the worlds pickiest eater. It was what you would expect of an AI resort though... not terrific but bearable. The a la carte resturants were much better than the buffet. I think that the Riu is a better party resort however I liked the feel of the small resort at the Samba. Al the staff is great and gets to know you. You can always get a chair close to the pool or beach without waking up early to reserve. I would say the pool at the riu looked better but the beach at the samba is better because it is not as crowded. Hope this helps!

st catharines...
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu vs. Samba and distance to PV

We stayed at the Riu March 8-15 and loved it. My cousin stayed at the Samba at the same time and said it was very small and liked the Riu much better when she checked it out.

6. Re: Riu vs. Samba and distance to PV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2006, 13:40
San Diego
Level Contributor
124 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu vs. Samba and distance to PV

"RIU in Nayarit is very big and much more impressive than small Samba next door. "

Beachbum - if you like long lines and lots of people, then the RIU is for you. If you like a smaller scale hotel, with a nice feel to it, and a LOT less people, pick the Samba.

Depends on what you like. My wife & I - the few times that we get away - like to get away from people. That's why we picked the Samba.

Do a search in this forum for my, and others comments about both hotels.

Indianapolis, IN
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu vs. Samba and distance to PV

The beach in front of the Samba is much less crowded. I'd personally prefer to stay at the Samba, but I'm the type of person that is content reading a book on the beach while catching a good buzz.I think the bars at the Riu are open later(I saw people drinking at the bar by the beach at 4am).If you want to relax,I'd stay at the Samba. If you want to party, I'd stay at the Riu.The Riu is much larger and the grounds are very impressive.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu vs. Samba and distance to PV

Suggestions to pvfan, keep your comments to yourself. I apologized for the confusion with RIU, there is only one RIU Jalisco located in state of Nayarit. What OTHER confusion did I cause?

My views are the same as other travelers who stayed in PV, some hate certain things, some love it and are not shy to share them.

Have a problem? Visit a thereapist do not attack people on forums.

Have a great day Puerto Vallarta Fan.