We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle Release

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,078 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Turtle Release

I thought it doesen't start until at least July ?

this is quote from a new review in March.

Turtles Release Program: On one of our long walks along the beach we came across a baby turtle making it's way to the water. Then we found out that 5 minutes from our hotel is a place that releases baby turtles every Thur, Fri and Sat at 6:30 pm. When you leave the resort turn left on the beach, behind the hatchery they are building a new resort or condo, we actually thought that the turtle hatchery place was a sales office for the place underconstuction until we got closer. The cost for this was $5.00 US for the two of us. Bring your camera, but no flash can be used at all. Amazing pictures of the sunset and your watching these turtles try and find the way to the water, so go sideways or backwards but some just go straight to the water. Just watch out that on the first night we did this some birds came and got some of the turtles that had made it to the water, so poor child was crying. The 2nd night we went everything went ok. But it was amazing watching about 40 turtles that are only about 4 or 5 hours old try and make it way to the water.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,812 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtle Release

Where did you see this? We always go in October, and see turtlres both laying eggs and babies being released. Like you, was told that this was a late summer and fall thing.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,078 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtle Release

Bob. it was a Riu Vallarta review.. Will have to search further for months..

We did do the turtle release one Year..(now I can't remember if it was April or Dec..LOL )

Alberta
Level Contributor
325 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtle Release

We did a turtle release during our trip at Christmas outside of the Bahia del Sol Condos I think.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtle Release

We did turtle release during our Christmas visit. I'd say about a 10 minute walk (maybe less) north of the Vallarta Palace. There were two big buckets of baby turtles to be released. I believe they were doing it every night. The information was posted on a sign right outside the turtle release sanctuary. My teenage sons who were only doing it for mom and ending up thinking it was really cool. We named our turtles and watched them swim out to sea.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtle Release

They have a new Turtle Santuary near the new Condo's being built between Villa Magna and the Riu......................Can't remember the name right now.

Mountain View, CA
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtle Release

During our stay at the Vallarta Palace last June we were walking down the beach. Near Marival, we say a mom with her two kids bringing in two baby turtles in hotel water cups. She said she go them from a sanctuary about a mile north down the beach. They released them in the ocean.

I thought it was odd to see baby turtles in June and hence walked down north. The area/sanctuary was there, fenced off. and we saw cracked shells and one or two dried out baby turtles. No one there. Almost as if they were in but had no way to escape out the fence and died of summer sun. Kind of sad.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,078 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turtle Release

So bob and agshah.. would there be any In May at that place.?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
553 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turtle Release

There is a sign in front of the del Canto condos where the sanctuary is located. It states that the releases are at 7:30 pm, but I never saw the turtles being released. The police were on the beach at the Riu Palace with a pail of 6 baby turtles one afternoon. No mention of releasing the turtles, would love to have seen it. Maybe the next time.

Edited: 17 April 2012, 03:02
Mountain View, CA
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turtle Release

Joy I could be wrong but I really doubt it. Been there in June many years and never seen any. What we saw last June seemed odd because I always thought turtle season started in late August or September ...

But do take a look, you never know. Seasons are changing and so may the turtle situation ???

10. Re: Turtle Release

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 17:42