We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lago Real Plaza Mall / Bucerias from Occidental. Worth it?

Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lago Real Plaza Mall / Bucerias from Occidental. Worth it?

Hi,

My partner and I are going to the Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta at the end of May and I am curious about the shopping down in Nuevo Vallarta. We've been to the Mayan many times, but this will be his first time to Puerto Vallarta area.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is (if there is one) between the Lago Real Plaza Mall and the Paradise Mall? Are they in a similar vacinity and easy to get to from the Occidental? (Price per cab ride?) We've also heard there are some markets in this area, but have yet to hear where they are. If you have any information regarding the locations of any, in relation to the Occidental. (Previously called the Allegro Nuevo Vallarta before all the renovations)

We would like to travel into Bucerias at some point, but are wondering how long it may take to get there from our location in Nuevo Vallarta by cab - or if it may be more beneficial to go into Puerto Vallarta? We like the 'small town' appeal that Bucerias seems to have in terms of potentially having more markets. Any comments or suggestions?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lago Real Plaza Mall / Bucerias from Occidental. Worth it?

Paradise village mall is literally across the street from the Occidential ( a 3 minute walk). From the Occidential to Bucerias is about 15 minutes by cab and should be about 130 pesos. To downtown PV would be about 30 minutes and 250 pesos.

Bucerias has a small market, shops and several restaurants/bars both on the beach and in town. Also a small square and a very nice old church. Well worth spending some time there.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lago Real Plaza Mall / Bucerias from Occidental. Worth it?

That being said....since you have never been to the PV area before, you really should spend a day in downtown PV. In my opinion there is really nothing worth shopping for in the malls, pretty overpriced generally. Save your shopping for PV and Bucerias.

Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lago Real Plaza Mall / Bucerias from Occidental. Worth it?

I definitely think that we'll get to Bucerias - I myself have been to and stayed in Puerto Vallarta (though it was a while ago), so I think we'll likely stick with Bucerias.

Do you have any recommendations about cabs or taking one? Do you normally ask the price to get to the location prior to leaving? i.e.) Ask how much to get to Bucerias before leaving the hotel. Also, are there certain cab 'companies' to avoid/go with once in Bucerias? Aer cabs readily available in Bucerias to bring you back to the hotle? Sorry for the 20 questions, just trying to plan things out! :) Not trying to come across as paranoid, but Ive read things about avoiding certain cabs in the Mayan, just curious if it's the same thing here.

Chicago
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lago Real Plaza Mall / Bucerias from Occidental. Worth it?

The bellmen at the hotel should have a posted list with taxi prices to various destinations. They will confirm the rate with the driver when you leave the hotel. From elsewhere, always ask price before getting in.

All the taxis are licensed and look the same so usually none better then the other. There will be cabs lined up outside your hotel and there will also be plenty in Bucerias to return.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lago Real Plaza Mall / Bucerias from Occidental. Worth it?

Just so you know also that the malecon in PV has all been redone, so it'll be much different than when you were last there.

Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Lago Real Plaza Mall / Bucerias from Occidental. Worth it?

May be a silly question, but if we were to go into PV, is there a certain area to ask to be dropped off at, i.e)should you ask to go to the malecon - I know it's a big stretch, or do taxis automatically take you into the 'heart' of tourist area?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lago Real Plaza Mall / Bucerias from Occidental. Worth it?

McDonalds is at the start of the Malecon, so you could just ask to be dropped off there.

Chicago
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lago Real Plaza Mall / Bucerias from Occidental. Worth it?

With the redesign of the malecon, vehicle traffic is now prohibited on it so McDonald's is as far a taxi can go and a good spot to be left off.

For Bucerias, ask to be dropped off by the town square and then it is just a few steps to the flea market and the beach row.

Edited: 26 April 2012, 02:14
Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lago Real Plaza Mall / Bucerias from Occidental. Worth it?

the bus to downtown stops right in front of the mall, it's easy. Take the "direct" bus, not the "RIU" bus, it's faster, then change busses at the Walmart or the next few stops past the Walmart (I stay on the bus as long as possible past the Walmart - it's a nicer bus - before transferring to the Centro bus. The malecon is different, worth a visit IMHO.

Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Lago Real Plaza Mall / Bucerias from Occidental. Worth it?

Thank you so much for all of these replies!

Another quick question: should you tip cab drivers?

Is getting dropped off near the flea market near the malecon a good idea, or is it within walking distance of wherever you get dropped off?