We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gifts like hats?

Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
gifts like hats?

Does anyone take gifts anymore for the people? Do they need clothes or hats ect?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,680 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gifts like hats?

While gifts are nice, they can't be used to buy food for their family. IMO - tipping in pesos is still best.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gifts like hats?

The OP didn't say gifts were instead of tips. Sometimes i's nice to bring something from "home" that you think others would enjoy.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,424 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gifts like hats?

WE do this... Like Sioux says... Give to staff like the groundkeepers and people on the beach.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gifts like hats?

Thanks for the reminders all, I have a request to bring down a Lakers hat and I forgot until now.

Gifts they cannot easily get in Mexico along with cash tips are appreciated.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,463 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gifts like hats?

People can buy pretty much anything they need or want in Mexico today.

We would only bring gifts for people if we had a personal relationship with them; say, a property manager we had for years, or if we were repeat guests at a hotel and got to know someone on the staff and knew what they wanted.

I think it is a bit presumptuous to choose personal things for strangers....not everyone eats candy or chocolate or wears makeup or perfume or has the same taste in sports teams.

I would not leave a maid here in Canada a 'gift', it would be strange or innapropriate, IMO...so why is Mexico any different?

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gifts like hats?

Well, if you are for instance a Chicago Bears fan, for example, you might bring a few extra Bears caps along. If a bartender or someone admires your hat, give it to him/her and wear one of the extras you brought along.

If you tuck a few little fancy soaps in your luggage and the maid or concierge, or waitress does you a favor, give her a little gift.

I wouldn't randomly give personal gifts to people, but having a few things on hand keeps you prepared.

Airdrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gifts like hats?

Rissak is right.

They can buy more logo hats shirts etc than most of us can get.

I take Canadian Club for managers,concierge etc.

The benefits are worth the investment.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,424 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gifts like hats?

Wow... Mexalberta... never thought of that.

Riviera Nayarit...
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,730 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gifts like hats?

Keep in mind that maids in resorts work a 10-hour day, 6 days a week for about $6-7 per day. Yes, per DAY. Bartenders don't make much more, but IMO, their job of mixing and serving drinks is easier than cleaning hotel rooms. Both hope to be able to earn some $ in tips.

Yes, I think it's a thoughtful gesture to give them a little something, over and above their tip, and it will be accepted graciously. But those candies, lotions and team hats can't be used to pay bus fare and utility bills or to put towards school tuition for the kids.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: gifts like hats?

Neither can a Christmas present given to you by your family, but people give gifts more many reasons.

Perhaps many here are confusing the idea off giving a gift, with the idea of leaving a tip.

Workers who make very little would generally NOT buy themsleves a cool hat, nice body lotion, or othe non-esentials when they have more needs at home.That's one reason a gift could be a nice, special gesture.