We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Ontario
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

this will be my third time at Riu Jalisco but I just saw a notice that they no longer take US dollars. You must get Mexican Pesos. Is this correct or are they still accepting US for excursions, tips, etc.

thanks

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

Most resorts will NO longer take usd.. due to New law in Mexico last year.(drug cartels /laundering )

They will take Canadian...

Excursions,taxis shopping. Some will take usd.

This topic will help....

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154267-i323-k6123…

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

Riu...youre a canadian going to mexico...why would you exchange can dollars to usd (and incur a fee) to then use in mexico where the retail rate would be horrible...thereby losing money twice before youve even paid for anything?

Geab pesos at home or hit a bank atm when there to grab pesos. Youll lose the least by using an atm there and paying in pesos. Applies most of the time but there will be a few instances when using usd is cheaper (on the face of it anyway)

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,840 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

It's true that some merchants and tour operators may request payment in USD. In that case, you will probably get an exchange rate of 10 to 1, while the current exchange rate is around 12.5 to 1. They win big time and you lose big time.

ATM's are all over the place; I just tell merchants that I will be paying them in pesos.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,479 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

I would do the same thing and pay the vendors in Peros.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency

check the exchange rates they are using. Sometimes it actually works out to your advantage to pay in US$. I found that out a time or two when I only had pesos. I thought, wait a minute, I've got local currency and it's costing me MORE. So just watch the rates.

6. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2014, 07:15