We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunwing from Vancouver

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
817 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Sunwing from Vancouver

hi there, does anyone out there have any experience with sunwing to PV from Vancouver? I've been reading some horror stories about sunwing but most reviews are from further east, none from YVR.. just wondering about flight delays, service on board... food, movies...extra charges?

we booked the Elite Plus for the extra $40 per person per leg to get the extra leg room.. I thought for $40 it was worth it..

any other tidbits are appreciated!

cheers...

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,191 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunwing from Vancouver

I've sent you a PM.

Maybe put your post on the PVR forum also..to get more answers..

There were Horror storys on Canadian T.V.. for Dec. 2011... how the flights were Overnights and People thought they were allowed to stay in Rooms at resorts for Departed day..NOT so Bookout is 12noon. Poor people sleeping on floors until after midnight, then 4 more hours to and in the airport.

Check your flight times..

Joy

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunwing from Vancouver

I love sunwing. The upgrade is very much worth it.

And yes people need to be aware of flight times and how they relate to check out times. Although weve had excellent flight times but i always check the flight times.

The recent delays affected every airline back to canada given some wild winds. We were delayed 5 hours in playa del carmen...oh well thats an extra 5 hours at the resort as far as im concerned.

Weve also been delayed with westjest 5+ hours twice this year too. Ill still fly both...and ill actually give the nod to sunwing usually as you can get those nice seats and more luggage.

Edited: 11 February 2013, 20:54
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
817 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunwing from Vancouver

thank you.. our flight time out of Vancouver is 6 AM and our flight time out of PV is 1 PM... so all good.... love those times as I get home on a Sunday and wont be too hard to get up for work the next day... who am I kidding, of course it will be!!! but we land at 5 Vancouver time... very respectable

I go with an open mind.. and know that s*&^ happens... and I cant control it.. just have another beverage and smile... just hate if it cuts into my trip on the way down!!

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,191 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunwing from Vancouver

Lots are NOT weather related... Lots have been due to Maintence and repairs..with No other plane to replace One.

CDL .We have been delayed on other CHARTERS..like 8-9 hours.. and No compensation whatsoever... With WJet You get a HUGH compensation,IMHO.

Can't say what Sunwing would do if delayed 5 hours.???

Never flown with them... Gave up on Charters after the Hugh delay ,at least it was comeing home from Dominican Republic, not going..because others Lots One Day of their Holiday on that disaster (NOT weather related either..it was Safety issue..

good luck,,Shelley.. Think positive..

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
817 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunwing from Vancouver

thanks JoLee... ;0) Ill keep my fingers crossed for sure... never flown them before.. always westjet.. and didnt' do my research before I booked at new years.. impulse, lets get the hell out of here for a week type thing! it will be my own fault if it's a disaster!

more champagne please! LOL.. or a double caesar should do the trick!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunwing from Vancouver

No need to cross fingers.... itll all be good.

Jolee you sure have a strong negative opinion for someone never having used them! Wow

Westjet gave us nothing for our two delays this year. Whatever...crap happens.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,191 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunwing from Vancouver

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/sunwings.htm

this might help to show why we have Never gone with them..

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunwing from Vancouver

ya and westjet rates barely higher on that same forum.

lots of comments about delays...makes me wonder how frequent fliers these folks are.

most people check on line to see if their flight is delayed or on time. seems lots of these folks didnt. but its such a simple thing to do.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,191 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunwing from Vancouver

I agree .. people must not check for a travel delay..

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
817 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunwing from Vancouver

I've signed up for email notifications on delays with sunwing.. but rest assured... we travel 2 or 3 times a year and I always check my flight times. that being said.. Air Canada is brutal too... I've sworn to never use them again either...

starting to limit my options!

thank you all for your thoughts!