We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling Tours

Federal Way...
3 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling Tours

We are coming to NV in May and would like to do a few tours. We have 6 people and need to get the most bang for our buck.... Any suggestions? We enjoy warm sandy beach and clear waters. And is it best to book through the company or our hotel?

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,734 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling Tours

Go to vallartainfo.com lots of good advice

Kansas
Level Contributor
112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling Tours

If you go up to Punta Mita, at the north end of the bay, there are snorkel tours that go out to the Marietas Islands. It lasted about 3 to 4 hours. We talked them down to 900 pesos for all of us. They started at 1200. There were 4 adults and then two kids. They usually charge by the boat, in my experience. There is a cooperative and there are 'independent contractors.' They all seem to charge about the same. While normally I like to reward the guy who has taken the time to improve his skills and has learned English, this last time we went with the guy who only spoke Spanish. His name was Jaime. His boat wasn't as fancy as the bilingual guy, but I can say he took really good care of us. and he was part of the cooperative.

We snorkeled some, and they also drove us around to different parts of the island to see birds and formations. I'm guessing you could probably just snorkel at the first stop the whole time. It was at a 'hidden beach' where you swam through an archway to get to the beach. I saw quite a few fish and one eel. I didn't have a lot of time to search for stuff, as my 5 year old daughter was with me on her first open water snorkel trip. She did great, but i was watching her and watching for fish.

Los Arcos, on the south side, is ok too. It is a lot more crowded. or at least is always is when we are there. that's probably the best two spots we've been. We've also snorkeled out at some of the spots that the big tours go, like Quimixto and Yelapa, I don't remember which. I think snorkeling is better on the other side of the country, but I love Puerto Vallarta! We have been there numerous times and have a great trip every time.

Good luck with your trip!

Kansas
Level Contributor
112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling Tours

If you go up to Punta Mita, at the north end of the bay, there are snorkel tours that go out to the Marietas Islands. It lasted about 3 to 4 hours. We talked them down to 900 pesos for all of us. They started at 1200. There were 4 adults and then two kids. They usually charge by the boat, in my experience. There is a cooperative and there are 'independent contractors.' They all seem to charge about the same. While normally I like to reward the guy who has taken the time to improve his skills and has learned English, this last time we went with the guy who only spoke Spanish. His name was Jaime. His boat wasn't as fancy as the bilingual guy, but I can say he took really good care of us. and he was part of the cooperative.

We snorkeled some, and they also drove us around to different parts of the island to see birds and formations. I'm guessing you could probably just snorkel at the first stop the whole time. It was at a 'hidden beach' where you swam through an archway to get to the beach. I saw quite a few fish and one eel. I didn't have a lot of time to search for stuff, as my 5 year old daughter was with me on her first open water snorkel trip. She did great, but i was watching her and watching for fish.

Los Arcos, on the south side, is ok too. It is a lot more crowded. or at least is always is when we are there. that's probably the best two spots we've been. We've also snorkeled out at some of the spots that the big tours go, like Quimixto and Yelapa, I don't remember which. I think snorkeling is better on the other side of the country, but I love Puerto Vallarta! We have been there numerous times and have a great trip every time.

Good luck with your trip!

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling Tours

Here is a link for snorkelling tours. I love the Shamballa. The best thing is that lunch and an open bar is included in the price. Great tour and well worth the money. I wouldn't book with your hotel as they charge more money than what you would pay through JD's. jdtoursvallarta.com/snorkelingboatcharters.h…

Have a great trip!

Federal Way...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling Tours

Thanks good info, I do want to go check out Marietta in Punta Mita. Good to know that we can wait til we get there to find a guide to take us over in a boat.

Federal Way...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling Tours

Thank you for all the good info. Will deifinately use your suggestions.

7. Re: Snorkeling Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 07:16