We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I crazy, or really missing out? Riu question

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
414 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Am I crazy, or really missing out? Riu question

So I'm looking at the Riu Vallarta and like what I see. I love how the two pools are set up. The jr. suites look nice. From what I understand though, the Riu Palace Pacifico is the way to go - just everything is nicer. The only AI in Mexico we've been to is the Riu Yucatan in Playa del Carmen and we LOVED it - except the shabby rooms which are currently undergoing a remodel. We were there a week before they closed, so it's not affecting my opinion of the Riu brand.

I know that I can use the other Rius if I stay at a Palace, and we did that in Playa, but not very often. I preferred hanging out by our pool and restaurants because I liked our resort the best. So I don't know how often I'd make it over to the pool I like when it's not by my room.

Both are affordable, am I crazy for wanting to stay at the Vallarta over the Palace?

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I crazy, or really missing out? Riu question

We just returned from the Riu Vallarta for one week. Loved the resort, adult only pool etc. We had a junior suite which has an ocean view. The only complaint i had was that the drinks at the pool were hit and miss. it was not top shelf liquor served there. We had WI FI in the lobby for 90 mins a day but was slow. I used the WIFI in the sportsbar and it was $12 i believe for 90 mins and it was fast. We would have had to pay $300 more each for the Palace and that would not have been an oceanview room either. We went over once to the Jalisco which was a 5 min walk on the beach. It is a bit of a walk from the Palace to the Vallarta as we went over to take a look. Again it depends on price and what you are looking for but i would not hesitate to recomment the Vallarta. We travelled from Toronto.

Mentioned in this post
Jalisco
Jalisco
Mexico
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Mountain View, CA
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I crazy, or really missing out? Riu question

We have stayed at the Riu Vallarta once and Riu Palace Pacifico thrice. Although we loved Vallarta, we preferred to stay at the Palace. IMO it was better overall, food, service, facilities, nicer drinks, room service which is not available at the other two, etc. They have a very nice lobby bar with live piano, nicer a la cartes, etc.

Plus you can always use the other two. About 15 min walk I would say.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,630 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I crazy, or really missing out? Riu question

http://vallarta-info.com/nuevo.html. The Riu Palace Pacifico is a Good Walk on beach..as map shows.Longer via the street.

If you pick the Palace you can go to the Jalisco and Vallarta. If you pick the Vallarta you can only go to the Jalisco .(they have ONE condo inbetween them).

Vallarta does TRY to keep the Kids out of the Adult Swim Up Bar Pool...some get in for some time. Lol.

the Palace has NO separate pool for Kids (dumb move,building a new resort with only the One pool IMHO) and NO Disco either.

As Agshah said, No room service at the Vallarta. .. so depends on what you want to give up and whats important to you.

Yucatan had wonderful pool, but lots of smaller buildings. ,Whereas the Palace Pacifico and Vallarta are ONE large bldgs. built like a U...

We are returning to the Vallarta for our 6th. stay, so we Like it there.

Mentioned in this post
Jalisco
Jalisco
Mexico
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
414 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I crazy, or really missing out? Riu question

Jolee what do you think about the layout of the Vallarta vs the Yucatan? The U-building vs the lower spread out shape. The U-building seems to be more the palace shape in general.

I love the more tropical look of the Vallarta pools. I thought the Yucatan food was great. We barely touched anything but the Mexican food anyway, we love it! I do wonder why the Vallarta has a lower rating than the Yucatan. They seem like they're on the same level for their respective locations.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,630 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I crazy, or really missing out? Riu question

Not sure how the rateings work on ta,depends on how many reviews in total.

Vallarta is newer, but should have updates on rooms,soon. Jalisco will this summer.

Both have elevators, as 6 & 8 tall, so not many stairs.

We do avoid rooms on the inside courtyard, because they can be noisy.

Joy.

Mentioned in this post
Jalisco
Jalisco
Mexico
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
414 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I crazy, or really missing out? Riu question

Do you think it needs a room remodel? The Yucatan really needed it, there was mold in the bathroom and shabby fixtures. We still liked the resort overall though.

It seems like most of the rooms overlook the courtyard in that U shape. It's noisy even in the higher levels? Are the rooms at the ends of the U more expensive due to the view, I'm guessing?

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,630 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I crazy, or really missing out? Riu question

When are you going ?

Yes the rooms on the Ends are the Jr. suites,cost more ,than a reg. room.

In the towers are the Master or Jacuizi suites.

Also Jr. suites are In the courtyard , they ALL face Straight Out to the water.

Regular rooms are on the sides, both inside the courtyard and on the North and South sides of bldg.

Lower floor seem to be more dated,maybe more traffic.

Vallarta opened Fall 2007., Jalisco 2004, so Vallarta should be redone in a couple more years..maybe..

We go for Higher rooms, Yes Less noisy. higher up, Noisy only for the show and after till about 11p.m. Disco is Inside and downstairs so not noisy like the open one at Jalisco.

The Palace Pacific doe NOT have a Disco.

hope this helps.

Joy

Mentioned in this post
Jalisco
Jalisco
Mexico
denver, colorado
Level Contributor
397 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Am I crazy, or really missing out? Riu question

We just returned from our second trip to RIU Palace in less than one year. (I just posted a review you can read) On both trips we walked down to the Vallarta and used the adult pool along with the resutarants. The buffet at the Palace is larger and has more choices. I think the main difference is that at the Palace there are mostly adults and only a few families. Thus, making the resort less crowded and provided a more private feeling. The lobby of the Palace along with the restuarants and bars are just stunning. Vallarta is very nice also, but not the same. Even if the cost is a little bit more to stay at the Palace, I would suggest that. (But then again everyone is different regarding likes/dislikes etc.)

9. Re: Am I crazy, or really missing out? Riu question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 05:17