We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Vallarta all inclusive

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Topic
Puerto Vallarta all inclusive

Our family of five, kids ages 18, 21 and 23 plus parents will be going to PV first time all inclusive for seven days this June. My question is how much cash should we bring with. I figure couple of trips into the city and tips for the hotel staff would be cash. Any excursions would be paid with a credit card. So is three hundred US enough?

Mountain View, CA
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Vallarta all inclusive

300 would be enough for a couple of trips into the city and tips. But I would bring a bit more, just in case you do some shopping, taxi fare from and to the airport, emergency cash in case you had to stop by a pharmacy, etc.

You can always take the unused portion back.

I suppose you can also use the ATM and withdraw what you need in which case 300 may be enough.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,976 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Vallarta all inclusive

agree totally with agshah...I would bring a credit card also in case or ER, and maybe a tad more cash...few hundred in case..

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Vallarta all inclusive

Don't most staff prefer pesos for tips? I'd convert some or all of that 300 USD to pesos before leaving.

That's what I plan to do when we go to Riu Palace in September/October.

denver, colorado
Level Contributor
371 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Vallarta all inclusive

Totally agree with you cnance, over the last few years we have noticed it is more tidious/difficult to convert to pesos when you are in PV. Also, a lot of business will not tak american bills over a $20.00. We were just there a few weeks ago and my sister n law went into a bank with her passport to cash $40 US to pesos and they required her to go to a coffee shop next door to make a copy of her passport which they kept before they would provide pesos.

Much easier to convert to pesos at US bank (such as Wells Fargo) prior to leaving. I did this and got conversion rate of 11.50 to $1 US dollar. The transaction is $5.00 unless you are a member of Wells Fargo than it is free.

Roseville, CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Vallarta all inclusive

Are there enough ATMs? I'm going to NV for 6 nights and was going to convert $200USD to pesos ahead of time and then use an ATM for more cash if needed. We are planning on sticking to the resort for the most part and not doing many excursions. I'm pregnant so can't do anything "adventurous" anyway. So it's mostly tip money etc.

I'd rather not travel with much more cash than that.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Vallarta all inclusive

There are at least 3 ATMs in the immediate NV area: 1) a standalone Scotiabank machine near the roundabout in front of Marival; 2) a Banorte in the big, new, silver building located across from the Hard Rock; and 3) a Banamex in the Paradise Village mall.

Roseville, CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Vallarta all inclusive

Thank you!

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Vallarta all inclusive

I always convert at my bank in the US. I use Chase and the exchange rate is decent and normally get it in a day or two. I always prefer using pesos. Notify your banks that you will be using ATM card and/or credit card out of the country

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,568 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Vallarta all inclusive

Atm's are everywhere feel free to get out and explore!! YOU will love it there.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,976 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Vallarta all inclusive

You usually need your passport to exchange money here now..unless you have an account or such..money laundering is the reason. Also do not bring a ton of $20 bills and expect to change them all at once, we have an accounts(s) and hubby brought bunch of $20.'s US this past trip and they would only exchange so much at a time..again apparently $20 bill is the most used in money laundering etc..who knew..