We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Mayan Questions

WI
Level Contributor
148 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Mayan Questions

We will be staying at the Grand Mayan in November and have a couple of ?s.

1. Thinking about doing the meal plan (3780 pesos for 6 dinners and 6 breakfasts). We know that we would not be able to split the breakfast buffet but wondering about the dinner which includes an appetizer, dinner and dessert. We are not big eaters and think if we could share the dinner meal, then it would be a good deal.

2. We are GM owners, staying for 2 weeks, but this will be our first time in Nuevo. Hoping to get an ocean view but wonder which building would be preferable. How are the buildings numbered from north to south?

Which would have a closer to the ocean view? Quieter?

3. If we do the presentation, what incentive should we expect? We do like 10 % off the bill, but can we squeeze more from them?

4. Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks for all of the help Trip Advisors!!

FYI--- We were able to book flight only through apple going form ORD. Much, much better price for a non-stop on a Saturday.

Arlington Heights...
Level Contributor
284 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Mayan Questions

Hi,

Using a $12 exchange rate if I did math correct that is about $26 per meal and I assume that is per person - Sounds high to me. Nothing beats the convenience of eating on the resort if that is what you want but there are a lot of really good restaurants you can either walk to or take a short cab ride to ($3) that would be less and probably a lot better. it just depends on what you want. We usually like to eat breakfast in our room, maybe go out once or twice, snack for lunch and then eat a decent dinner.

If you get an oceanview room all have a good view (they are truly ocean view). Sorry I don't' know how the buildings are numbered. Quiet would not be directly in front of the pool if that is what you're looking for. If you get a room on a high enough floor the view should be great whereever you are!

If you do the presentation and you're intersted in upgrading my only advice would be that the deal gets better the more people to speak to and perhaps waiting a day to decide.

I have a question for you - you say you are travelling in November from Chicago. We too are going over the Thanksgiving holiday (to Luxxe) and I looked on Apple and do not see any non-stop flights. Do you have any more details you can provide on the airfare?

Resort is beautiful - you will have a blast!

WI
Level Contributor
148 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Mayan Questions

Hi Golden,

Thanks so much for your input.

Yes, I do agree that those prices are still pretty steep for frugal travelers like we are (and you, too, it sounds like). And, dining off-site is something not easy to do at our usual destination in Riviera Maya.

Hoping for an Ocean view room.

I just checked the apple flight only web site and I think there is only a Saturday non-stop. The Thanksgiving week is pretty steep but arrives at PVR at 1:00 which is nice. Let me know if you have trouble checking it....or just call the apple rep.

One more question---about beverages! We usually are very discreet with our insulated bag disguised as a beach bag and do buy a few drinks from the bars. I have read that they check bags at the pool. Is that correct?

And, also read that they charge to deliver your groceries and beverages that you purchase from outside the resort. Is that true and is there any way to haul them on your own?

We love the Grand Mayan, but it is a challenge some times to make it not too expensive.

And, are you happy with the Luxxe?

Thanks!!!

Arlington Heights...
Level Contributor
284 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Mayan Questions

Lakeshish -

We haven't been to Riveria Maya location but have been to the area and understand that a cab ride to restaurants would be very costly so understand the need to stay on premise. Nuevo is different. The resort is very large with quite a few restaurant options but it's in a smaller village setting that has some housing but is largely filled with the resorts, a marina, a tour company and restaurants. There are usually 4 of us when we travel and we can usually eat and drink for ~$100ish for all 4. We usually do a 1-2 that will call nicer dinners and for seafood those usually run $20 - $25/entree but you don't have to spend that much at all if you don't want to. You should review the restaurants on the page but I'll list a few that we visit as well and look forward to visiting on our next trip in November!

- Fajita Republic ($3 taxi ride each way)

- 8 Tostada (can walk from Grand Mayan)

- Eddie's (can walk - good breakfast too)

- Le Pescatore (on other side of Marina - this is one of pricer place's we've eaten like I mention above)

- El Dynamite

- Prime 159 (on pricey side)

- Portebello's

There are quite a few more and some new restaurants we're anxious to try on this trip but all except LePescatore and Prime 159 you can eat for $15 USD or less and get great food (drinks extra).

I did just read now they are charging 2.50 per large bin if you shop and want them to deliver the groceries to the room which is guess isn't too bad. If you chose to shop once you've go your room you can certainly shop/take a taxi back and carry everything yourself back to the room - you're not forced to let them handle your food. It's a good option to save a bit of money, enjoy the room in the morning and not eat so much :-).

No Coolers at the pool but we always accumulate plastic glasses (we choose not to bring our own) and bring down water, Pepsi, beer. We even bring down a bottle of wine at sunset and stay by the Mayan pool and nobody has ever said anything to us.

Luxxe is beautiful - we are not owners we come with my sister but it is definetely beautiful! That said we've stayed at Grand Mayan and there is nothing wrong with that either.. Actually adding on a day on the front/back of our trip so will be in G. Mayan.

Hope this helps - always can ask more questions.

WI
Level Contributor
148 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Mayan Questions

Hello Golden 14,

Wow, Thanks again for your restaurant suggestions and tips! Nuevo certainly has that advantage over Riviera Maya when you can walk or take a short taxi to a variety of restaurants. I have been checking them out already but your info is great!

We are thinking about going to the Ocean Grill which is much more complicated but sounds like a great experience. Have you been there?

Also, thanks for the info on groceries and beverages. I guess the charge will still make a walmart trip worthwhile.

Any luck with apple and nonstop for ORD?

Thanks, again!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Mayan Questions

Hi, we just returned from the GM and had purchased the meal tickets for the 2nd of our two weeks, thinking it had to cost LESS than what we had spent on our few trips to WalMart. Unfortunately, we were traveling w/ 3 teenagers and out of the 5 of us only 2 of us had the eclectic tastes needed to eat at all of the restaurants at the resort, so we ended up with unused tickets. If you are not an adventuresome eater, I don't advise it.

WI
Level Contributor
148 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Mayan Questions

Hi Seattle,

Thanks for you insight. We know what you mean about hungry but not adventurous eating with teenagers!

We won't be traveling with teenagers but, so far, are not thinking the meal plan will make sense for us. We are more shop at Walmart, eat some meals in the room and a few on site, type of vacationers. We are looking forward to trying some of the restaurants at the Marina and appreciate the reviews on Trip Advisor!

Hope your vacation was great! Sounds like you have your own tropical heat in Seattle now!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
313 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Mayan Questions

All buildings are equidistant from the ocean. If you request ocean front also request 4th. Floor or higher. Anything below that, your view is blocked by vegetation. On the positive it makes you balcony more private. I am a GM owner and have been there many times. It's my favorite place to go. We return each year. That said, I doubt you will get an upper ocean front room. I have once. The latest thing is the Bliss and Luxxe owners stay in the GM. The GM location is better than their property locations. Because they paid more for their units they are given preferential treatment when requesting reservations at a lower priced unit. It doesn't happen only a few times, but a lot. A person at the concierge explained the whole process to me last year. If you understand the process, even if you don't get the room you want , it's easier to accept the room they assign you and then get on with your vacation and quit stressing about not getting ocean front. Last year a vacationer at the front desk completely lost it over his room assignment. I can't imagine starting my vacation like he did. It will be a great time and you will be back. We have never taken the meal plan. There are too many good places to eat at within walking distance or a short ride away. We normally go for 2 1/2 weeks. We stay right downtown for a few days. We have then stayed at the GM Puerto and then move to Neuvo. Each place has their advantages.

Any questions feel free to ask

Rand

WI
Level Contributor
148 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Mayan Questions

Hello Fossr,

Thanks for your great response and explanation of the system of room assignments. We will try to go with a similar attitude of hoping for an ocean view room but realizing we might not get one. So, would you think it would be better to have a high room on the mountain side rather than a low room on the oceanside?

We are looking forward to being able to walk to some restaurants off-site. Something you cannot do at the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya, where we usually go in the winter.

I notice you are from Lake Tomahawk. We are weat of Minocqua on Lake Shishebogama right now. Pretty wonderful here, too!

Thanks again.......really looking forward to a new adventure!

Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
313 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Mayan Questions

Indicating mountain view is a stretch. It's just a nice view but the mountains are way far away. I prefer low level ocean side only because the sun hits that side of the building late in the day. Nights cool off and being on the ocean side with the sun setting keeps the deck warm. This makes it nice for using the plunge pools late in the day. If this is a nonissue then high up on the other side is a nice view.

I am actually in Tomahawk south of Minocqua. We do extensive boating on the Minocqua chain. My favorite place to boat

WI
Level Contributor
148 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Mayan Questions

Fossr50,

Thanks again for the info. We will take your advise for sure. Still hoping that arriving early November might help with an ocean view room.

And, I do now see that you are from Tomahawk rather than Lake Tomahawk......both nice places.

Thanks!