We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Nuevo vallarta this month!

Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Nuevo vallarta this month!

I am going with my husband on our first trip to Mexico this month, also it was our anniversary and my birthday in September so I decided to treat ourselves to a small getaway. I've been reading vacation forums and it looks like it may be pretty hot and rainy as well. I don't mind that much but I am wondering if it rains most of the time? I am going Sept.17 just for 4 days. I am used to going to Okanagan in BC for vacation with plus 30 weather most of the time. So I think I can handle the heat but I know the humidity makes it feel worse. Well, I will take my chances and stay by the pool or the ocean most days? I hope ocean can cool me off? Any advice on what I should bring besides lots of loose clothing?

Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Nuevo vallarta this month!

We just came back from a seven night stay........our first morning it sprinkled until noon. And then one night, over night it rained. There was a tropical storm off the coast so the ocean was really rough and it was very windy. The wind helps. Actually a couple of days getting out of the pool with the wind was a wee bit chilly.

It is hot and humid. I lived in bathing suit by day and in the evening, capri's and a tank and sandals. My husband wore shorts, tee shirt and sandals.

During the day I would sit in the pool with a drink and my book. We also wear ball caps to keep the sun off our heads. Bring lots of sunscreen

We have already booked our hotel for next August and just waiting for Westjet to catch up:)

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Nuevo vallarta this month!

Have a great trip..................We're leaving for Punta Cana on Saturday for my birthday on the 8th.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,680 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Nuevo vallarta this month!

As mentioned, very hot and humid but it does not raqin all the time. Usually when it rains, it is late afternoon or in the evening.

Drink lots of water to stay hydrated (alcohol will dehydrate) and use lots of sunscreen and apply it often. We have always found it to be a little cooler in Nuevo than downtown because Nuevo seems to get more of the cooling breeze.

Heading back to Dreams VM in 41 days, Usually end of the rain and a little less humid then.

Enjoy your trip. Where are you staying?

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
395 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Nuevo vallarta this month!

Sun block for your lips and clips or bunge cord for your pool chair to help keep your towel in place. Happy-B day and Anniversary to you MissRz.

Punta Cana on the Nuevo Vallarta fourm I don't get it?

Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Nuevo vallarta this month!

We are staying at Samba Vallarta..thanks for all the replies! I also heard about stingrays recently is that something you actually see in NV?

Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Nuevo vallarta this month!

I have one more question : I'm staying at all inclusive for 4 days only so how much money : pesos or $ should I bring? For tips I guess, but also just to get a bottle of something to bring back home? I mean is there a duty free shop at PV airport? In that case I can probably use my credit card?

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
395 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Nuevo vallarta this month!

You can tip in US $ or Pesos whatever is most convenient for you. $1 dollar bills work fine. How much? Tip when you feel that the service is above the usual just like at home. There is a store call Mega near Samba to purchase your take home bottle.They do except US $. I believe Samba is near the RUI Vallarta. Maybe a little less cost then D/Free shops in PV. A tip you can not take your bottle on the plane if purchased outside of D/Free, so pack it WELL in your checked bag.

Edited: 03 September 2013, 17:30
Overland Park...
Level Contributor
395 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Nuevo vallarta this month!

Stingrays

The water is a bit cloudy to see them. Unless they are in about foot of water or you step on one. Hope that is not the case.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,670 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Nuevo vallarta this month!

stingrays..they say if you shuffle your feet when walking in ocean they will scoot away if there and you do not step on them..who knows...

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,411 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to Nuevo vallarta this month!

Bring lots of 20 peso notes perfect for tipping!