We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU Jalisco vs. Rui Vallarta

Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wisconsin
Level Contributor
123 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
RIU Jalisco vs. Rui Vallarta

Considering going to one of these resorts or spring break in March. The Vallarta is just $20 more for the week per person but wondering which one our group will enjoy most. We will be a large group of families with kids in their early 20's and adults in early 50's - about 30 or so of us. I know if we stay at the Vallarta we can also use the Jalisco but if we end up spending all day at the Jalisco, maybe we should just stay there.

Questions:

- Will one provide more nighttime entertainment for the kids over the other?

- Does the Jalisco have high end alcohol choices like the Vallarta?

- How long of a walk is it from one to the other?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,711 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RIU Jalisco vs. Rui Vallarta

JoLee is the expert on the RIU's so I am sure she will answer all your questions.

By the way, in case you hadn't heard, the Jalisco is now being renovated so it will be updated soon.

Mountain View, CA
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RIU Jalisco vs. Rui Vallarta

there is just one resort or building in between Vallarta and Jalisco, very close by.

if you book Vallarta I don't think you will end up staying at Jalisco most of the time as you think. Vallarta has a lot going on too.

Not sure about kids entertainment in the nights but Jalisco for sure seemed to have more going on for the kids during the day.

as mentioned Jalisco is being renovated so when you go it will be nice I think

We did not care much about the food at Jalisco, we found food at the Vallarta better.

if you want high end alcohol consider the Riu Palace Pacifico, they have some good stuff like Don Julio Reposado, etc. that we did not find at the Vallarta.

Invermere, British...
Level Contributor
106 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RIU Jalisco vs. Rui Vallarta

I have stayed at both and enjoyed both, but liked the Vallarta more. The rooms and décor are more modern there and I like the layout better, as well as the adult pool area. But now that the Jalisco has been updated, that will possible make a difference. The food was similar at both as well as drinks. More noise and activity at the Jalisco. We are booked to go back to the Vallarta for 2 weeks in Nov. and I can't wait.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,646 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RIU Jalisco vs. Rui Vallarta

As mentioned above the Jalisco is now closed and will reopen mid Nov. so will have Lots of Updates.. Vallarta will be due in a couple years.

There is One CONDO between the two. Jalisco is to the north of Vallarta then about 5 city block walk on street to the Palace.

KIDS...Young adults you Mean?? Both resorts would be great. More action at the Jalisco Disco Most people say.

But the Jalisco is the FAMILY Club resort.. therefore Lots of YOUNG kids and the pool that has the Swim up Bar is called the MAIN pool,and Kids are allowed at the bar.. NOT good IMHO. whereas at the Vallarta the Swim up Bar pool is ADULTS only and they try to keep kids OUT. This Means any Young adults under drinking age with those wrist bands.. have to swim in the Kids pool.

Both have kids pools with slides.

1, both have good Entertainment and both will do trip to Pt.Vallarta Clubsat a cost.

2. both have the same liquor

3.. 3 mins on beach, 5mins. on street.

If you are looking for a Spring Break ,like Cancun. then IMHO .Pt. Vallarta would be better..as NO clubs in Nuevo(new)Vallarta... and you will be about a half hour drive from DownTown Pt.Vallarta. Nuevo is Mostly Condos, residences and Resorts along the stretch of beach.. See Map..

this map will help.. Move down to Pt.Vallarta.. http://vallarta-info.com/nuevo.html

Good luck..

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,646 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RIU Jalisco vs. Rui Vallarta

Just read you older Review.... so you have been to the Vallarta before at Spring break time.. so you know about how much partying goes on there.. Might be less next March ..who knows.. Both resorts would be good... If your young people go for the distance to town and the clubs..

Joy

wisconsin
Level Contributor
123 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RIU Jalisco vs. Rui Vallarta

Thanks for the updates. I'm hoping to have enough to entertain the 20+ year olds so they don't have to leave the resort. No sense spending more money when drinks are free at the resort. :) Will also give us more peace of mind if they don't leave the resort.

My only concern is that our youngest son who is 16 will be stuck in the kids pool all by himself. Are they really that strict about the adult pool at the Riu Vallarta, even if he's with us?

What about the disco? Will they let kids under 18 in? We've been to some resorts where they won't and some where they will but they just won't serve them alcohol.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,646 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RIU Jalisco vs. Rui Vallarta

Under drinking age get different color wrist band. White.. so the bartender etc. know not to serve Hard drinks.

Saw parents getting a beer for their Tween....

You can all go over to the Jalisco, and use their Main Pool,with the swim Up bar.. Nice for a change.

You are smart.. Re: going out the the clubs,and Peace of mind. IMHO.. good thinking.. Even at the resorts, it's smart to keep an Eye OPEN for the girls....some other guests can be Not so Nice...

Re: pool If he stays away from the swim up bar and dosen't bring attention to himself.. he might get away with being in pool.. It's the roudy games they play, that are Not appropriate sometimes.....

Re: Disco... I'm not sure ,about the rules about just getting in..

Invermere, British...
Level Contributor
106 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RIU Jalisco vs. Rui Vallarta

The beach is really nice at the Vallarta & you might want to spend some time there. That's were we spend alot of time as we love to sail the Hobie Cats and use the kayaks and play volleyball. We hardly ever leave the Resort, but walking to Bucerius is fun and of course there is lots to do there. We also like to go to Punta Mita and hire a boat at the Co=operative to whale watch and snorkel. We hardly ever go into PV, but that's just us.

9. Re: RIU Jalisco vs. Rui Vallarta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 05:18