We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware the Timeshare Temptation

Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Beware the Timeshare Temptation

I know we should have known better. If it seems too good to be true, right? While renting a car an onsite timeshare guy figured out my husbands love of golf, and before I knew it he was offering 4 free rounds of golf at the Vista golf course (worth about $800). I said what about me and he threw in a massage at our home resort of Paradise Village. As a joke my husband said how about some cash and a bottle of tequila and he agreed to 1000 pesos and the tequila. So for about $1000 worth of goodies we were suckered in. We later heard the Vida Vacations and Grand Bliss/ Grand Luxe timeshare guys on the street get $1200 and can use as much as they want to hook their victims. Believe it or not, it was not worth it. It ruined a whole day of our vacation and they would not quit. It was extremely smooth, but extremely high pressure. It was also bait and switch tactics. Say no to the Grand Luxe? Sell something less. Think you are talking Red time? Check carefully -- it has turned into white time. Ready to go home? No, they still have more people for you to talk to. I finally left on my own after meeting 8 sales guys because my husband was still talking to them. I made sure I got the promised goodies first, and they pulled the bait and switch on both the golf and the massage to get us back to their property. No thank you! Even though the property is lovely and the "free" breakfast was great, I have sworn off timesale presentations forever. I have talked to others and learned there are two nicknames for the Vida Vacations Group -- the Cryin Mayan and the Lyin Mayan. Beware!

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,590 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware the Timeshare Temptation

I feel for you.. Thank your lucky stars you didn't Bite and purchase..lol

Lots and Lots of info on all the forums on the Time Share Sharks...and the Welcome at the Airport.

Some people lgo to get the gifts/money and beat them at their own Game (lots on Mazatlan forum) , Nothing is Free.. 90mins turns into 4 hours plus .

We went to One in our lifetime.. Mayan,Cancun... walked out after 1/2hr.. Never to return to one ever again.

Don't feel bad, we all Learn our Lesson.. LoL.

What a Way to spoil a Holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
584 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware the Timeshare Temptation

Yes, it sure is not 90 minutes like they tell you. DON'T do it!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,884 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware the Timeshare Temptation

Like you said in the beginning of your story, if it sounds to good to be true - then it is.

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware the Timeshare Temptation

We did it once- our little white lie- hubby and I said we were married but not to each other- they lost interest in us

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware the Timeshare Temptation

Katie, if a person was going for the gifts, what you told them would disqualify you, so no gifts.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware the Timeshare Temptation

I still remember what was said by my parents as a small child and every day at the breakfast table and every evening at the dinner table. Every night before I went to sleep. I still remember all of my grade school teachers ,highs school , university and college teachers, I remember well what my grandparents said, what my aunt and uncle have always said, all those books, all those TV shows, all the stories on the news, , they have always said the same thing. Always invest your money from day one, never get a high ratio mortgage, always max out your RRSP's, and never buy a timeshare until after you buy property on the moon.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,406 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware the Timeshare Temptation

Timeshare sales are high pressure yes, but timeshares do actually makes sense for some people. We owned 2 ( which we have now sold because we bought a place in Bucerias) but we used them every year with our kids. For us they worked.

IMO if you go to a presentation with absolutely no intention to buy, now or in the future, to just get the free stuff, then you are committing the same fraud that they are.

Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Fort Wayne, IN
Level Contributor
218 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware the Timeshare Temptation

+1 to all your comments Alberta-traveler.

Getting tired of all the negative reviews from people who don't even stay at the resort, but get paid to go to a timeshare presentation, have a bad time, and write a bad review about the resort.

Zero sympathy from me!

9. Re: Beware the Timeshare Temptation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 06:18