We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Mayan - Cabs, coolers and co-vacations

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Mayan - Cabs, coolers and co-vacations

I could use some help from Grand Mayan veterans.

My family and I (wife and daughter) are quasi-booked at the GM in November. The deal is that some friends bought a time-share week from relatives. Due to a scheduling mix up, they were offered an extra room as a concession for changing their plans. They ended up with a 2 bedroom, master suite and a one bedroom "apartment." So we bought one of the rooms. My concern is that we are not ( as of now) guests of record. And...we arrive about six hours before our friends. I am hoping that we can make some arrangement to be recognized by the property and check in (if it is possible aound noon) Any other pitfalls I am not considering? Some advice would be welcomed.

Now the easy part, I note that cab fares are quoted in dollars or pesos but there doesn't seem to be a distrintion as to how many people...so are the fares per person or per ride?

Lastly, and thank you if you have read this far, is there a problem at the GM taking a cooler with ones own beverages to the beach//pool? I've read conflicting reports in the posts. There is something happily decadent about hauling the folding canvas cooler filled with ice and drinks and not have to do much more than roll over to get a cold one.

So thanks in advance for your advice and input.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Mayan - Cabs, coolers and co-vacations

The cab rides are expensive leaving the airport, returning they are cheaper & the price is for everyone, not per person. If your smart go over the bridge at the airport & get a cab. Their way cheaper. The Grand Mayan is an awsome place but its expensive. We took the collapsable coolers with us, (small ones) & filled them up & put them in oversize beach bags to hide them. They don't want you to use them because they figure you should be paying for their drinks. Just keep them hid & you'll do fine. Stock up at Gigante or Walmart before you go to Nuevo for snacks, beer, food etc. You'll save yourself alot of $$$ by doing this. They have alot of "Helmet Heads" (security) all over the place watching you. They also dont want you to take coolers down to the beach either. Just put them in a beach bag & you'll be fine. As far as checking in ??? They usually wont let you check in until 3:00 pm. So bring your swimsuit, towels etc with you for easy access & they'll put your luggage in storage till you check in. Hope this helps. :-)

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Mayan - Cabs, coolers and co-vacations

Thanks Islands:

That helps a lot. So what does security do if they suspect you're sipping your own suds?

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Mayan - Cabs, coolers and co-vacations

We were never caught. We would however order a bucket of beers & keep those by us & just replenish with our own. We just disposed of the old cans ourselves. Was never a problem. We also would also have breakfast in our room & pack a lunch to go with us down to the beach or pool & then go out for dinner every night. We'd always have left overs & sometimes have them for lunch the next day. Some of our favorite places to eat was Guidos just outside the Mayan complex. Just tell cab driver where you want to go.They serve italian dishes, pizzas etc. It should cost you maybe two dollars to get there. Also Fahita Republic is awesome also there in Nuevo. They have a huge menu also. Get there early they get packed. Both are excellent places & resonably priced. Should cost around $3.00 to get there. I have been to PV & Nuevo numerous times. So I'll check back if you have anymore questions. :-)

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Mayan - Cabs, coolers and co-vacations

Islands you are a godsend.

I am one of those compulsive review lookers, which is part of the self-stoke-up before a well needed vacation. So I'll take you up on your offer for input.

So far we'll walk over the bridge for a taxi and properly conceal our beer, juice and margarita stash. Yep I have a battery powered blender. We'll also try the restaurants you suggested....Italian is always good.

Ok so, do you have a recommendation as to rooms? Is there a block, room number reference or area that is preferable? Like everyone, we want an Ocean view.

We're thinking about the canopy tour...I think it's Vallerta Tours. Had an awesome time on a zip line in the Mayan riv.

Also, we want to spend most time at indigenous local areas...probably need to rent a car for that. Some of my best Mexico times were at Zihuatanejo before it got transformed. looking for out of the way villages and local charms.

Thanks again for the response.

Jdub

2b
BC, Canada
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Mayan - Cabs, coolers and co-vacations

Jd - when are you booked for the MP? We are also coming down in Nov and staying at MP,possibly help w/transport as we are renting a car. It may help while you wait for the rest of your party to arrive.

We usually pack a insulated bag which we fill with "refreshments" for days on the beach.

On our last trip my husband and dad went to Walmart and stocked up on breakfast fruit/pastries + other nibbles/drinks to subliment what we got around the pool.

As long as the legal owner has your name as a guest applied to the room you won't be bothered...except by the time share people. Beware !!

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Mayan - Cabs, coolers and co-vacations

2b

That's a great idea.

We love making new friends on our travels.

It's November 17-24

you can respond to Jdublyou@sbcglobal.net

I hope this works out.

Best

Jdub

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Mayan - Cabs, coolers and co-vacations

Jdubylou-We have been on every canopy tour down there. In my opinion (I know others will disagree but...) Our favorite is El Eden. The Los Veranos sure has the longest lines & highest. But El Eden is close. The personal service at El Eden is soooooo much better. They have smaller groups & the guides personalities are the best!! Went to Los Veranos in Nov 05 & I felt like nothing but an elephant being herded along. Their were WAY too many people!!! At El Eden there was only 10 of us & the DVD we bought was absolutely awesome!!! The DVD we bought at Los Veranos was TERRIBLE!! Very hard to follow & horrible music! What a waste of money that was! Vallarta Adventures was ok.....nothing to brag about. But I just thought I'd put that little bug in your ear. Our bus broke down also on Los Veranos & we had to wait FOREVER in the sweltering heat for a new bus to come. Be sure & go to the first one of the day though...it'll get to hot in the afternoon as you do some hiking. Good luck!!

2b
BC, Canada
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Mayan - Cabs, coolers and co-vacations

Hi Jd,

Sent you a quick e-note via your e-address. Hope you get it.

We didn't try the try to zip wires on our last trip but they sure get quite a bit of response on this forum. I was looking at the ATV trips for our next adventure when we are down in the fall. As usual, snokeling is our thing but the last trip was a bit of a disappointment, much better in Maz.

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Mayan - Cabs, coolers and co-vacations

You folks are great!

Got the email 2b, and Islands...your input is genuinely appreciated. I am going to have to think up a bunch of new questions just so that we can keep the dialogue going.

So I had this idea tonight (My wife thinks I'm nuts....and she might be right) but what if we get a whole bunch of tourists to work through the time share shark-pit at the airport and when they try to offer a ride to the hotel or a free breakfast. we way "NO....I need a time share and I need it now!!!" and then move on to the next poor soul. If we get enough players, it should, short circuit the whole shyster-time share process and if only for a moment....it might be worth it.

Ok...I'll just think about the pool for a while

JW

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Mayan - Cabs, coolers and co-vacations

Jd and 2b --

I have been reading this post with great interest as I am headed to GM August 1st (we wanted to be sure it was warm enough?? LOL. JK. It is a group honeymoon )

I will be sure to post back when I return to update you on any questions. I will be sure to try (and succeed) bring coolers to the pool beach area. I have a GREAT "Bubba Keg" it is a 52 oz insulated mug that looks like a mini keg.

Anything else I can "research" for you while there??

Thanks again for your advice, I hope to return the favor when I come back.