We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace Pacifico, first timers!!

Bemidji, Minnesota
Level Contributor
32 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Palace Pacifico, first timers!!

So excited to hit 24 days on our countdown until we hit the beach in the PV/Bucerias area at the Riu Palace Pacifico!

Would love to do some scouting for people while we're there as we plan on frequenting the other Riu properties.

Any advice as we are visiting this area and property for the first time?!

Thank you in advance!!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Palace Pacifico, first timers!!

http://www.vallarta-adventures.com

This site will give you an idea of the many excursions available in the area.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Level Contributor
32 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Palace Pacifico, first timers!!

Thank you, Alberta-traveler!

We checked it out and appreciate the reply!

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Palace Pacifico, first timers!!

I Have been to the Riu Palace a few times and are heading back in March for 11 days. The Riu Palace is the quietest out of the 3 Riu properties since it has no Disco. However you should enjoy the stay. If you email the Riu Palace couple days prior to your arrival you can do a booking for the Specialty rest. the email is palace.pacifico@riu.com Blanca should be able to assist you. Since everyone has their own favorite it is going to be a personal choice for your taste buds. However since you are from Minnesota as I am do not expect the same quality of Steaks we have in Minnesota. Sports bar will have Cappuccinos for the morning otherwise the coffee is not the best. The wait staff around the pool and beach are great Anna is so sweet. Look for Julian in the morning at the buffet he will take great care of you so will Teddy. I would highly recommend a afternoon early evening trip to Puerto Vallarta to walk the boardwalk taking a bus is reasonable and not that hard, Also go to Bucerias it is smaller and has many places to drink or eat right on the beach. Cab ride from Palace is 85 pesos. If you are planning an excursion I would recommend Whale Watching but if you Love adventure than do the Zip Line it is awesome!

Also if you walk down to the beach go right and walk about 15 minutes and you will see a couple of tents set up for Massages. One hour for $20 and hearing the waves as you are massaged from head to toe.

Send me a message if you want more info but if not tell Teddy and Anna Kevin & Sue will see them in March.

Have a great trip away from our deep freeze:)

Edited: 12 January 2014, 19:06
B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,848 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Palace Pacifico, first timers!!

Good choice, bred..

You can walk South on beach about 4 city blocks and check out the other two RIUs. they both have Discos. Jalisco's will be more active. One condo then the Vallarta.

As mentioned, bus to Pt.Vallarta is out front.. easy and Fun to do. You change across street from Walmart.Sams and get the ElCentro bus... Same in return.

Do watch out for the Time Share Sharks at the Airport.

Have a great trip.

Joy

Bemidji, Minnesota
Level Contributor
32 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Palace Pacifico, first timers!!

MistyAngel,

Wow!! Thank you for the info!

Yes, we are looking forward to time out of long-johns and pack boots...!! We hit 38 degrees today and it was literally T-shirt weather. I know you can sympathize! Can't imagine what the 80+ degree breeze is going to feel like on our skin!

Thanks for the tip on the massages! My SIL will especially appreciate the price as she'll want one everyday!

It sounds like we've made a good choice. It's always a bit nerve-wracking to go to a new resort and not know exactly what you'll be greeted with when you get there.

We have one specific question... Everywhere we've read, they say the room upgrade is well worth it. What do you think? And, are there rooms that face away from the ocean... as in, off the front of the hotel facing inland?

Thank you again!

And, we'll be sure to let Anna and Teddy know you'll see them soon ;)

BreB

Bemidji, Minnesota
Level Contributor
32 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Palace Pacifico, first timers!!

Joy,

It sounds like a lot of people recommend the bus trip into town, so thank you for the specifics! Also, it's nice to get some positive feedback regarding our resort choice. As stated above, it's always nerve-wracking when you're picking out a new resort to visit.

Thank you!!

BreB

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Palace Pacifico, first timers!!

We have always had a Partial Ocean view which we have been very happy with and have always faced towards the courtyard on the 7th or 8th floor. The Ocean view room is right in the middle of the horse shoe so all you can do is lookout towards the ocean and if you have a lower level room the palm trees might block your view. I would say you should be pleased with a partial ocean view. You spend so little time in the room I like to save the money on the room and use it for activities & such.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Level Contributor
32 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Palace Pacifico, first timers!!

Maybe that's a Minnesotan mentality, but we tend to do the same. We were just curious because soo many people had said to upgrade.

Thank you again for the advice!

Enjoy your trip as well!!!

We'll be posting on here after we get back, I'm sure much won't have changed for you. I also have thoughts on posting while we're there, but, well, you know how that goes ;)

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
924 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Palace Pacifico, first timers!!

Hi, you will have a wonderful time at this resort. Friends stayed there a few years ago and we visited and were impressed by the luxury....not the type of place we ordinarily go for ourselves, but still...

Something I learned after our first, unfortunate trip to Mexico is to vet very resort on trip advisor prior to booking. I always use an agent, but never ever take their word for things, as they tend to take the "star rating" at face value. I've learned from TA that a 5 star resort can actually be awful, and this comes through on the TA reviews. Likewise, there are 3 star places that my travel agent steers people away from that have 85% or better approval ratings on TA....for good reason. This is why I love TA!

Bemidji, Minnesota
Level Contributor
32 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Palace Pacifico, first timers!!

berniece2000,

Thanks for the advice! You're right, TA is a must when visiting places! I hadn't thought of checking it before booking the resort, I usually just take my travel agents word, but as you noted, that could be dangerous. I'll keep this in mind for our next booking :)

Good to know you were impressed by this resort.

Thanks for the reply!

BreB