We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Budget

Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington, Kansas
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Food Budget

Looking for some info. on how much to plan for a budget for 6 (2 adults and 4 children from 17-22) per day. We are staying at Villa Del Palmar Flamingos and have a full kitchen so can eat there as well. We would like to go out for some lunches and every evening. Any help is appreciated! We are going in May and its our first trip there. Thanks!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Budget

Supper should run roughly $15-$20 U.S. per person at most of the decent restaurants on the beachfront in Bucerias, including one alcoholic beverage and a main course. Starters, deserts, and extra drinks would obviously increase the tab. If you go to some of the higher end places in Bucerias, it could be considerably more but still far from unreasonable. At the other end of the scale, there are a number of decent taco places that would cost significantly less.

Restaurants in the Nuevo area are roughly similar in price to those in Bucerias, while Puerto Vallarta tends to be a little higher - say 10-20%. Within both Nuevo and Puerto you can find some significantly more expensive places, though, if that's what you're looking for.

Groceries will cost about the same as what you pay at home - a bit less for some items, and more for items that aren't regularly used by Mexicans - e.g. peanut butter, and other specific import items. There are a number of large grocery chain stores on the main highway between the airport and Bucerias, they're all quite good. If you're staying for a couple of weeks with a big crew and would like to do some major provisioning, there's a Costco in Puerto that has most of the items that you'd find in a Costco at home.

Wellington, Kansas
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Budget

Thank you!

denver, colorado
Level Contributor
371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Budget

I agree with OT in previous review regarding restuarants in Bucerias and PV. We enjoy going to Dugerals in Bucerias. Sunset view from upper deck is very nice watching the sunset over the mountains and the bay in front of you. We stayed at condo very close to where you are staying and went to the MEGA Mart store which is down the street and accross the highway. About a five minute taxi ride. Prices are great and they have a huge selection of food. MEGA is bigger then any Sam's Club or Costco I have been to. It was quite the experience to go there. The only thing about MEGA that I did not like was that a time share person approached me after I was in the store for about five minutes. No big deal as I just told him No thanks and he went away. No need to rent a car in Mexico to go to stores, restuarants etc. Bus's and taxi's are very reasonable for short rides to the store and to Bucerias Taxi is around $4-$5 US to Mega store and $8-$9 US to Bucerias. Hope this helps, happy to answer any other questions.

Wellington, Kansas
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Budget

Great thanks! I have heard there are vans at airport you can take to resort that are reasonable, is this correct?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,713 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Budget

Check the FAQ's in the upper right of the Puerto Vallarta forum for info on the airport taxis/vans. For your group of 6, you will need a van. Also read the FAQ about timeshare sharks at the airport. Return trip will be about 60% of the outgoing rate.

6. Re: Food Budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 05:19