We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu vallarta - room suggestions?

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Riu vallarta - room suggestions?

We are a family of 3 (couple + 12 year old). We have reservations for a partial ocean view room (not sure if it's a suite). Any suggestions? Have the following questions for veterans :

1. Should I upgrade? To what?

2. Are they all suites? If not, should I upgrade to one?

3. We love outdoor fun like parasailing, jetskii etc. What are the typical rates?

4. I usually get a lot of $1 notes to other Mexican places for tipping. Should I do the same or get pesos?

Thanks folks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
869 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu vallarta - room suggestions?

RIU Vallarta is beach front. Lots of parasail vendors in area. $40 for single. A short walk for $20 hour long massage. Lots of jetski rentals as well. I love Vallarta Adventures-you will see brochures everywhere. they have lots of activities including flyboarding. Also suggest you take a 45 minute bus ride to Sayulita-surf town north. Great beach and your 12 yr old will have blast boogie boarding or learning to surf. Upgrade? Maybe to the Palace which if about 5 minutes up the beach. But really all 3 RIU's in NV are decent. Heated pools, good food, nightly shows etc. Hope this helps as we just got back.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Missouri
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu vallarta - room suggestions?

The room is all about preference. If you spend much time in your room, then upgrade to one of the suites after your arrive. It isn't very expensive in PV to upgrade.

The official exchange rate is now over $13+ US to $1 Peso, so definitely take pesos if you have the option, because they do a $10 to $1 ratio exchange....you lose money and they make extra money with this exchange rate.

There are many activities on the beach, including free boogie boards, Vendors, para sailing, and $20 massages. We can't recommend enough that you should take the walk to Bucerias. There is awesome shopping and amazing places to eat. Vallarta Adventures has lots of activities and you can go online and pre-schedule or wait until you arrive if you prefer. The resort has a separate pool area for the families with kids under 18 years of age. Your son will probably make lots of friends in that area. They also have an adult only pool area.

Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Vallarta Adventures
Vallarta Adventures
3,761 Reviews
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,616 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu vallarta - room suggestions?

#1 ,and #2 Suites,,,are NOT really a suite like in a NON all inclusive resort.. so NO stove, etc.

and Suites are Not for family.. unless you want child to sleep on a pull out sofa. and NO two bedrooms. You would need two rooms then.that would adjoin.

There are Jr. Suites.. same thing. King bed, and sofa. Fridge,bar. So I would go for a Family room ,One King, One double. They are side views (Partical) just as good as the suites that have the Direct view. Then there are the regular room,side views with two double beds.

send me a PM... and I can give you some room numbers. When do you go. ?

#3, can't remember.. subed out to other than Riu.

#4. Read Top Questions on right top of page.. Peso are much better for staff, but they will be happy to get any tip.... NOTE: Riu will NOT change usdollars at the desk any longer. They have a atm in lobby, but you will be charged a fee..plus you own bank fee.

Joy

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu vallarta - room suggestions?

I would not upgrade to the Palace based on your children's ages. They will have a blast at the Vallarta and you can change things up and stop over at the Jalisco as well.

Do go to Bucerias it is great place to shop and eat. We go several times when we are at the Riu.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Jalisco
Jalisco
Mexico
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Mentor, Ohio
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu vallarta - room suggestions?

Hi Joy....We will be arriving at the Riu Vallarta on May 10th. We got a Jr ocean view room. I would love to have a room closest to the pools and ocean. Do you happen to know which rooms are the better ones?? We love to sit on the balcony and would like a great view. Thanks! Laura

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,616 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu vallarta - room suggestions?

All Jr. suites have ONE King only.... a couple steps down to a sofa and t.v.coffee table then the deck. ALL have direct Ocean view.. the Ends facing the adult pool and the childs pool are closer to the water. The higher the better the view.

Inside the courtyard ,the suites are over the Lobby area..Facing direct to the water.,set back a little further than the ends. . This is good for people watching, but can be noisy till after the entertainment. ends.11pm.

You can send me a PM and I can give you a couple Jr. suite room numbers ..

JOy

Mexborough
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu vallarta - room suggestions?

Hi jolee can u message me sum room numbers I've tried to pm you but without success :-/

I'd like to be in a suite with fab ocean view and also a view of the entertainment so I can ppl watch 2 :-)

Thank you

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,616 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu vallarta - room suggestions?

I sent you a PM.

Joy

Farmington, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu vallarta - room suggestions?

Hi JoLee I also am interested in some room numbers for the Riu Vallarta. We have booked a partial sea view room and would like a courtyard view as we too like to people watch. We also enjoy to sit on balcony and sip on a few drinks. Is the 4th 5th or 6th floor a good view? Thank you for your help. We arrive on May 11th.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,616 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu vallarta - room suggestions?

Send me a PM... ,, one or two beds ?