We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cigarettes

Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cigarettes

Hi all. Sorry I know a lot of you probably don't smoke but I was wondering if anyone knew the cost of cigarettes over there (we are stopping at riu Vallarta), whether you can buy them at the hotel or whether you had to walk somewhere and what brands they were? Not sure whether to buy them in the airport or whether we can save money getting them over there.

Thanks

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cigarettes

I smoke Pall Mall Red. I buy them for about $28USD per carton of 200 cigs. Marlboro and other US brands do cost a little more then Pall Mall. Keep in mind that if you bring cigs with you, you are only allowed to bring in 1 carton per person. After that, you will have to pay duty on any more cigs.

Have a great trip!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cigarettes

It's been a long time since I've smoked and even longer since I was at the RIU but I can't think of a thing that is cheaper at the resort gift shop!

I always brought my cigs with me since I was very loyal to my brand and in MX there was limited choices.

However, my brother always bought his there because of the cheap price, but, he did state that they tasted a little different.

There is a shopping plaza within walking distance, maybe 3/4 of a mile but it's been too long and I can't remember what's there.

Riviera Nayarit...
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,673 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cigarettes

I think that cigarettes in Mexico are dirt cheap, compared to what I pay in the Chicago area. When I smoke, I buy Benson & Hedges menthol. I haven't been able to find the brands that I would usually buy in the U.S. When coming from the airport to your hotel, just ask the taxi driver to stop at a convenience store on the highway (like OXXO or Kiosko) so you can pick up some smokes.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cigarettes

Elena is correct, the gas station at the airport is much higher than the other places you can get them. I went to a place in Bucerias and picked mine up. So much lower in cost then bringing them with. Taste a little different but not much. The pictures on the packs are very interesting. Not sure if Mega sells them I forgot to look.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cigarettes

The Oxxo at the airport will be the same price as any other Oxxo. As almost all the airport workers go there for snacks, cigarettes and phone time, they sell a lot of all those things. Cold beer, too, if you want it for the ride.

BTW, gas stations in Mexico sell only gas, oil and additives. Each station usually has a convenience store adjacent, like Oxxo, Kiosko or Happy Go.

There is no gas station at the airport.

Edited: 29 March 2014, 19:55
Bloomington...
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cigarettes

Oops I called it a gas station but it is a store. But the place I got them at in Bucerias was much lower in price than the airport sore in the parking lot was. The cost was 450 pesos for a carton and airport was roughly 200 pesos higher.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cigarettes

I agree with Sioux. All OXXO stores will cost the same for a package of cigs. Last time I bought a pack at OXXO, the cost was 38peso for one pack. They do sell cigs at Mega. I usually buy ours buy the carton at either Sam's Club OR Beto's minisuper. Both are about the same cost. OXXO is a wee bit higher buy not a drastic amount more for a carton (maybe 50peso more).

Have a great trip!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cigarettes

Thanks for your reply. Do you know what brands they sell in Mexico? I'm quite a fussy smoker so don't want to buy them if it's a brand I've not heard of.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cigarettes

Here are some that I'm aware of. Pall Mall, Benson & Hedges, Marlboro, Camel, Delicados. I'm sure there are other brands but these are the only ones I can think of.

Have a great trip!

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,259 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cigarettes

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k718475… Seems the rule changed to Importing Only 10 Packs each.. and customs in Mexico now Charge for any extra, so BeAware....

Get answers to your questions about Nuevo Vallarta
Recent Conversations