We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Mexico

London, United...
Level Contributor
271 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Mexico

Hi all

I'm looking at booking a trip to Mexico for me and the husband for April/May time next year.

Firstly I'm having a hard choice choosing between pacific side and Caribbean side.

Pacific is coming up noticeably cheaper - is there a reason for this?

I'm looking at riu Vallarta for late April. Would you recommend this? Is late April a good time weather wise? I've seen a really great deal.

I am English and don't know when "spring break" is but have heard I should avoid going during spring break. When is this?

Sorry loads of questions!! Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Vicki

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Mexico

The Pacific side is a relatively new destination for the UK operators which is why prices are lower right now. I doubt if it will be always that way because the planes need more fuel to get there :)) So might be a good time to go. Late April is a good time to visit - very little chance of rain, no spring breakers, hot but not too humid. The Caribbean side has better beaches and prettier water but is more "artificial" - lots of high-rise hotels in Cancun (think Benidorm), very Americanised.

London, United...
Level Contributor
271 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Mexico

Thank you! Think I will go ahead and book.

We spend more time by the pool, so the beaches being prettier the other side is not an issue. I guess the beaches are still beautiful though right?

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
6,261 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Mexico

I don't think the beach at Nueva Vallarta is especially beautiful, but then I've been to many that truly are. The nicest beaches in that area are not where the AIs are and you could visit some if so inclined.

London, United...
Level Contributor
271 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Mexico

I've had a look at some pictures and they look nice enough for us. I've been to Maldives so I've seen some of the best beaches... I'm not expecting too high. Like you say, we could always visit some other beaches if we want to. But we spend the majority of the holidays by the pool rather than the beach.

I've booked it now so no going back :)

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Mexico

Good for you. You will have a great time. Yes the water is different but it is the Pacific Ocean. You can try Boggie boarding while you are there. Great beach for walking. There is a cute Mexican town called Bucerias that you should go to. Lots of places to drink or eat and places to shop as well.

The Puerto Vallarta/Nuevo Vallarta area holds many things that are so much better and you will see. Walk the Macelon on a Sunday evening and also look into a Sailboat trip to Yelapa or the Mariatas Island you will also have a chance to snorkel but it is an amazing day on the water. I always use Pegaso Chartering and you should be able to book at the hotel or online with JD Tours.

By staying at the Riu Vallarta you also can go over to the sister hotel Riu Jalisco and use the pools and such there or just stop over for something to drink.

I do not think you will be disappointed at all by your decision. We have gone to that area for several years and I will not go to any other spot in Mexico.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 16:36
B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,205 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Mexico

this link are my reviews.http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g154267-d625275-r188702337-Hotel_Riu_Vallarta-Nuevo_Vallarta_Pacific_Coast.html#REVIEWShttp://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g154267-d625275-r188702337-Hotel_Riu_Vallarta-Nuevo_Vallarta_Pacific_Coast.html#REVIEWS

Riu Vallarta..great resort, Good for you... Like Misty said. . and I dissagree with post #3. The best beaches in Pt.Vallarta are on the Nuevo (new) Vallarta beach..Walk for miles and miles., not so in old Pt.Vallarta..You will be north of the airport, approx. 20mins. drive. Bus across steet to get to Pt.Vallarta.

Longer flights to get to the Pacific coast..You can read the post about UK people. Pkg. deals are cheaper than from Canada.Wow..good deals.

I just booked again for this June.

April is a good month to go, BUT Avoid EASTER week, One before and one after.. Jambed Packed. Mexicans celebrate Easter and Xmas and Mothers day,,,they enjoy the Beach so much, and come in Bus loads to almost Every resort. Plus on weekends throught the year. Spring break is not as bad as Cancun area, and usually over my April.

Feel free to ask any question.

Joy.Canada.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 22:56
B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,205 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Mexico

tripadvisor.ca/…REVIEWS

darn....trying the link again.. Just copy and paste. LoL.

London, United...
Level Contributor
271 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Mexico

Thank you! I will check out the reviews.

I am going 25th April for 2 weeks, so hope to miss all of that.

I got a great deal £925pp all inclusive for 2 weeks - most other packages I looked at were more like £1300pp so I'm really pleased.

Just wish I didn't have to wait for a year... But I already have my holidays for this year booked!

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Mexico

That is a great deal and based on your arrival date there should be no Spring Breaker issues. Those start in March and are done by mid April at the latest

London, United...
Level Contributor
271 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Mexico

Thanks all, I'm really excited.

My husband and I have always wanted to go to Mexico!

Are there must-do excursions?